Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › comply T400, S400, and the like. is it appaling durability or appaling comfort? alternatives?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

comply T400, S400, and the like. is it appaling durability or appaling comfort? alternatives?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I really think comply should get a conscience. about 3 weeks into use my T400 started literally eroding and disappearing (about 1h/d avg, about 30m are exercise). (the se425 T100 or whatever size they are, are doing the same thing, but over a longer period of time, since I hardly use them)

I'm really not impressed... That's what, $6/3w (for $1k IEMs that's probably nothing biggrin.gif). I'm sure it's a widely known fact that this is probably part of comply's business model (needle)

Shure olives last me a lot longer and don't look like someone started having tips lunch while I'm asleep and don't tear nearly as easily if you pull them when putting the tips on. (unfortunately they don't come in the right size biggrin.gif and you have to stretch them)


The budget S400 model has harder foam that lasts longer but is a lot harder and less comfortable (to be blunt - uncomfortable).
369279641339330291

I guess, on the positive side, they disintegrate, before they become seedy from use and you really have to replace them since you'll run out of actual tips to use biggrin.gif

Does any one know of alternative soft memory foam tips that are a bit more durable?
Edited by svyr - 2/3/12 at 9:45pm
post #2 of 7

It's all about the durometer of the material.  A soft pliable foam is more comforatble and has a lower durometer.  A higher more durable one would be much more uncomfortable.

 

"3 weeks use" doesn't really mean anything.  How many times are you handling them?  How dirty are your hands and ears, etc?

post #3 of 7
I get that too. Mine literally rip with even gentle use. For their cost the durability could be better.
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

It's all about the durometer of the material.  A soft pliable foam is more comforatble and has a lower durometer.  A higher more durable one would be much more uncomfortable.

"3 weeks use" doesn't really mean anything.  How many times are you handling them?  How dirty are your hands and ears, etc?

everything is ocd clean (wash hands most time before putting them on)and the IEMs live in case w desiccant /is dryed in a serene hearing aid dryer (cable, IEMS w tips)


> Mine literally rip with even gentle use.

I can barely put T400 on the IEM without them ripping, it's just ridiculous

P.S for the record, I bought the tips directly off comply.
Edited by svyr - 2/3/12 at 8:26pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr View Post

> Mine literally rip with even gentle use.
I can barely put T400 on the IEM without them ripping, it's just ridiculous
P.S for the record, I bought the tips directly off comply.


I see a few potential explanations (for the record my T400/500 or TS400/500 lasts for months without significant damage, and I use them at least 1h per day):

 

* you didn't choose the right size. When you say you can barely install them on your IEMs, and I see the size of your IEMs, it makes me think you should go for T-500 (larger bore size) and choose the small size because your IEM nozzles are extremely broad already, so you shouldn't need a big tip like that to get a seal.

Let's be fair with foams: the more you have to compress the foam to shove them into your ears, the more they will mechanically suffer on the long term.

 

* maybe you're not so "gentle" (without knowing it). Repetitive drying is not helpful, and some people produce more acidic sweat than others (since you exercise with your IEMs).

 

* last question: you seem to be using custom-molded IEMs. Why are you using tips at all ? Is the fit not good enough without the tips ? Or are these semi-universal CIEMs (like the demo ones in shops)?

 

Another alternative is see are Comply Ts-500. Very large bore size, and the spherical shape makes it easier to insert them deep without destroying them (which is what happens to your T-400 judging from pictures).

 

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post



I see a few potential explanations (for the record my T400/500 or TS400/500 lasts for months without significant damage, and I use them at least 1h per day):

* you didn't choose the right size. When you say you can barely install them on your IEMs, and I see the size of your IEMs, it makes me think you should go for T-500 (larger bore size) and choose the small size because your IEM nozzles are extremely broad already, so you shouldn't need a big tip like that to get a seal.
Let's be fair with foams: the more you have to compress the foam to shove them into your ears, the more they will mechanically suffer on the long term.

* maybe you're not so "gentle" (without knowing it). Repetitive drying is not helpful, and some people produce more acidic sweat than others (since you exercise with your IEMs).

* last question: you seem to be using custom-molded IEMs. Why are you using tips at all ? Is the fit not good enough without the tips ? Or are these semi-universal CIEMs (like the demo ones in shops)?

Another alternative is see are Comply Ts-500. Very large bore size, and the spherical shape makes it easier to insert them deep without destroying them (which is what happens to your T-400 judging from pictures).

Thanks. I'll try T/TS-500 I guess. (I actually have a set on hand, just never bothered to try them. The vendor recommended T400, but I thought T500 might also be easier to fit) (I bought TX400, T400, S400, TS400 and T500 lol, just to see what I'll get a good fit/etc from (some packages are 3 mix, some are 5x med, the T-500 is a 3-mix).

>Repetitive drying is not helpful, and some people produce more acidic sweat than others (since you exercise with your IEMs).

umm, how's it different to them just dying on 30 deg weather. I'd think faster drying is better ? (but yea, sweat seems to mess with the memory wires as well (they rust if I don't dry the IEMs and cable), so it's probably what's causing the disintegration)


>* last question: you seem to be using custom-molded IEMs. Why are you using tips at all ? Is the fit not good enough without the tips ? Or are these semi-universal CIEMs (like the demo ones in shops)?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579023 something similar to that. had issues with custom moulds.
post #7 of 7

For an hour or so per day with exercise, mine last a couple months.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › comply T400, S400, and the like. is it appaling durability or appaling comfort? alternatives?