Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › DigiZoid ZO2 + Pro 900 = Distortion (vs. Fiio E5 & E11) *Video*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DigiZoid ZO2 + Pro 900 = Distortion (vs. Fiio E5 & E11) *Video* - Page 6

post #76 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

I lol when people consider E11 to be bulky. Such an obsession with minuscule form factors.


E11 is bulky for a portable.

Its bigger than my phone ;)

 

 

post #77 of 112

im gonna bet fiio's next headphone amp is gonna be smaller since many epopel say it's too big :D hey..if my E17 that has more control and power in high gain (clieos says E11 better control in low gain, but E17 is better in high gain) ..and has more power and has a bigger battery and DAC...they can do it.

post #78 of 112

Well portability isn't an issue for all, and neither would I call the E11 or EW7 really PORTABLE.

ZO2 and A10 on the other hand weight half of the E11 and are almost half the size - the ZO2 being minuscule yet so BRIGHT AND SHINY :P

 

I like all amps, but for me, ZO2 has done it, with its outstanding bass - man I couldn't believe it when I heard the drivers of my D2K's RUMBLING - I'm not joking here - quite literally rumbling on my ears.

post #79 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

Well portability isn't an issue for all, and neither would I call the E11 or EW7 really PORTABLE.

ZO2 and A10 on the other hand weight half of the E11 and are almost half the size - the ZO2 being minuscule yet so BRIGHT AND SHINY :P

 

I like all amps, but for me, ZO2 has done it, with its outstanding bass - man I couldn't believe it when I heard the drivers of my D2K's RUMBLING - I'm not joking here - quite literally rumbling on my ears.

i know what you mean. happens often with HFI series...as you can expect/
 

 

post #80 of 112

Reiterating my point, I seriously hope they make them larger and bigger, that way more and better components can be used, instead of the nonsensical slimming of devicecs.

post #81 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

Reiterating my point, I seriously hope they make them larger and bigger, that way more and better components can be used, instead of the nonsensical slimming of devicecs.



FiiO ...needs money...well like the E17 thread said...how many audiophile companies ship 15K units a month? they have a forumla going here. many are asking for smaller...hmm but then again, they can just improve the E3 and E6 and make the e11 ...the same and introduce a new super amp ..you know. expand

post #82 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post



FiiO ...needs money...well like the E17 thread said...how many audiophile companies ship 15K units a month? they have a forumla going here. many are asking for smaller...hmm but then again, they can just improve the E3 and E6 and make the e11 ...the same and introduce a new super amp ..you know. expand



I'm not sure how exactly that's related to my post but ok :)

 

FiiO has been doing exactly that, and at a rather fast rate. For its time up and running, they have released many different products. And if they do the same mistake of listening too much to obsessive Head-Fi users, FiiO will go downhill just like X3 went.

 

But yes, I agree that there should be a slim line for those slim obsessed people (improved E6), a higher quality amp (E11-alike to match Headstage Arrow 12HE), and a combined DAC-Amp package. The real issue with this is that by making a higher quality amp, it would drive prices up, against FiiO's strategy, therefore the whole slimming is actually an issue, not an advantage, since it's unbalancing the product line-up and launch strategy.

post #83 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post



I'm not sure how exactly that's related to my post but ok :)

 

FiiO has been doing exactly that, and at a rather fast rate. For its time up and running, they have released many different products. And if they do the same mistake of listening too much to obsessive Head-Fi users, FiiO will go downhill just like X3 went.

 

But yes, I agree that there should be a slim line for those slim obsessed people (improved E6), a higher quality amp (E11-alike to match Headstage Arrow 12HE), and a combined DAC-Amp package. The real issue with this is that by making a higher quality amp, it would drive prices up, against FiiO's strategy, therefore the whole slimming is actually an issue, not an advantage, since it's unbalancing the product line-up and launch strategy.



sad. the X3..if you go and read all the things people want on DAP's....FiiO could EASILY make one..and basically win the entire audiophile dap market. the T51 has EVERYTHING audiophile's want..except has many major flaws..well not flaws but you know what i mean.. i see this time and time again that a company can just take over the DAP market. problem is software..os wise and stuff..yeah sucks

 

FiiO is moving very very very fast. like other users said..some things are single digit serial numbers...... FiiO caters to everyone :D

 

 

FiiO could expand their product line. only question is how that will effect their brand image, how people will react and stuff.

 

I take pride that FiiO products come from the PRC :D

post #84 of 112
Thread Starter 

My research is done. I was going to buy an E11 again, but I decided to get something more durable and also a DAC for my computer. I don't want to downgrade so I'm going to upgrade to an E17. Now I just have to wait until it's in stock. Then I'm done with amps for a while..Next up, M-100 headphones (when it comes out), and the LCD-2. L3000.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

To give you the idea of driving power:

 

1. ZO2 on PURPLE - thus highest LOW GAIN setting

Is the same as:

-E11 on notch 3 - on LOW GAIN

-A10 on 0.75-1 wheel scroll

 

2. ZO2 on PINT - thus HIGH GAIN setting

Is the same as:

-E11 on LOW GAIN with 7 sound

-A10 is not as loud as the ZO2, around 0.5 wheel away from being as loud, but the A10's is maxed, and isn't as loud as the ZO2 on HIGH GAIN

 

 

Now with BASS TESTS:

-A10 BASS XB ON = ZO2 on: Yellow with a hint of green

-E11 on EQ1 = ZO2 on: 2-3clicks from default green colour setting. So a little yellow tint, but still green

-E11 on EQ2 = ZO2 on: Yellow with a hint of green (same/very close to A10)

 

I also see what you mean about "cleaner" The E11 is "cleaner" sounding than the ZO2, it does take some time to realise the difference.

 

So far:

For portability + bass = ZO2

For cleaner sounding, but not as much bass controls, with a warmer sound too = A10

For home or bulky portability, with excellent gain and clean sounding SQ = E11

 

A10 is also cleaner sounding than the ZO2

 

I shall be testing EMI on the ZO2 tomorrow - stay tuned 

As the A10 had huge issues here...


I have a review that I have to write between the E5, E11, ZO2. I wrote down a lot of data that includes bass, distortion, impact, etc. I'll write it when I have time.

So do you like your ZO2 better than your A10?

 

As I have said, the reason I like the E11 better than the ZO2 even bass wise is that because I have such a great EQ from my Clip+, I can hear and feel much more bass with my E11. With my ZO2, it's all distortion.

I also love the cleaner sounding bass. I'm more of a Pro 900 guy, not XB500. It's also why I chose the HFI-580 over the Pro700MK2 and LP2.

But I'm not just an audiophile. I'm a huge basshead. I use the EQ 2 setting on the E11 and +24dB on my Clip+.

I can def see how you like the ZO2 for it's bass gain as I can't get enough bass from my E11 without my Rockbox Clip+ EQ settings.
 

With my HFI-580 and my MG7, I can easily hear that the E11's bass is much cleaner. With my Pro 900, it's much more evident that the E11's bass is clearly superior.

 

Which amp(s) are you returning? Which one(s) are you keeping?


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

I lol when people consider E11 to be bulky. Such an obsession with minuscule form factors.

 

The only time I feel it's bulky is when I use it at the gym since I usually have up to two 125lb dumbbells on my lap. Add to that, the fact that it dents easily. The only time I used the E11+iPhone combo at the gym, I dented it. That's where my the clip of my E5 comes in handy when lifting heavy.

 

Now since the E17 looks like it's built like a tank, I might be using it at the gym.

 

post #85 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurse View Post


The only time I feel it's bulky is when I use it at the gym since I usually have up to two 125lb dumbbells on my lap. Add to that, the fact that it dents easily. The only time I used the E11+iPhone combo at the gym, I dented it. That's where my the clip of my E5 comes in handy when lifting heavy.

 

Now since the E17 looks like it's built like a tank, I might be using it at the gym.

 


That's understandable. My issue with portability is that more often than not, it usually comes at the expense of SQ, and since SQ is all that matters to me, I certainly sacrifice looks or form factor.

 

E17 being supposed to have a solid build is another thing that draws me towards it. Right now I just hope there is a wider distribution available in Europe.

 

EDIT: I can certainly relate with the whole wanting bass quality, not quantity, which is why I went with my Pro 900s, even though they're supposed to give a fair amount of both :) But I sure wouldn't mind having even more kick out of them.


Edited by Roller - 2/21/12 at 6:35pm
post #86 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post


That's understandable. My issue with portability is that more often than not, it usually comes at the expense of SQ, and since SQ is all that matters to me, I certainly sacrifice looks or form factor.

 

E17 being supposed to have a solid build is another thing that draws me towards it. Right now I just hope there is a wider distribution available in Europe.

 

EDIT: I can certainly relate with the whole wanting bass quality, not quantity, which is why I went with my Pro 900s, even though they're supposed to give a fair amount of both :) But I sure wouldn't mind having even more kick out of them.

Which is why I suggested that you should get the E11 especially if you like punchy bass. If money isn't an issue, I would suggest you get the E17 as I am doing.

 

I'm very interested to see if my future E17 will drive my future LCD-2 and possibly even the HE-500 which is harder to drive than the LCD-2. blink.gif

 

post #87 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurse View Post

Which is why I suggested that you should get the E11 especially if you like punchy bass. If money isn't an issue, I would suggest you get the E17 as I am doing.

 

I'm very interested to see if my future E17 will drive my future LCD-2 and possibly even the HE-500 which is harder to drive than the LCD-2. blink.gif

 



Like I said before, E11 has several design choices that I just can't abide with and will never buy an E11 because of that. E17 is my purchase.

 

But I certainly wouldn't drive LCD-2 grade phones through an E17, they feel much more at home with desktop amps. Still, I might eventually consider one of those portable balanced amps, they pack considerable punch and might be able to handle just about any phones below HE-6.

post #88 of 112

the E17 is pretty tankish but dropping an 125 pound dumbell is a no no.

 

there is some light leakage from the cracks. so it's not sealed 100% tight or anything. keep in mind each one is hand assembled at FiiO. they don't mention if it's an factory or their own workers. it seems it might be theirs. they mentioned something along the lines of testing E17 with their couple hundred computers at their office..

post #89 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurse View Post

The only time I feel it's bulky is when I use it at the gym since I usually have up to two 125lb dumbbells on my lap. Add to that, the fact that it dents easily. The only time I used the E11+iPhone combo at the gym, I dented it. That's where my the clip of my E5 comes in handy when lifting heavy.

 

Now since the E17 looks like it's built like a tank, I might be using it at the gym.

 



Ok one thing I forgot to state, which is QUITE important, especially to you.

I get 0 distortion on all 3 amps.

 

The ZO2 on max contour, on high/max low gain -> 0 distortion, pure bass inclusion.

Also the contour doesn't screw the mids or highs.

Although the bass because more overpowering -> ie with the MG7's

 

With the D2K's though, as they are VERY CAPABLE, i lose no mids nor any highs - simply adds to the bass like a baws

 

 

Today's report:

Little to no EMI interference with the ZO2 with my phone.

The A10 was unbearable, to the point that I got the amp out, and put it in my other pockets, disconnected on the way back home from work.

 

E11 won't test, and don't know - but i trust clieOS's review

 

I also have to say:
MG7 + ZO2 is brilliant - adds that mid-bass that was lacking vs my TFTA's -> this might be the perfect earphone setup for me now...!

Although, it doesn't go without saying the MG7's soundstage is pretty closed in - then again i get good isolation for that "flaw"


Edited by Totally Dubbed - 2/22/12 at 1:23am
post #90 of 112

Out of interest, is there ANYTHING you guys want me to test on the A10/E11/ZO2?

 

ZO2 can be done any time. But I've filled out the return for the A10 & E11 now, and will be returning them in exactly 2 weeks -> 10th of March

 

Please let me know if there is anything, like A/Bing, putting 1 amp on the other, plugging it in into PC, and doing a demo? No idea how to do that, instructions would be appreciated! whatever, it is let me know!

 

I have the:

-D2000's

-Atrio MG7's

-TFTA 1XB, 1V

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › DigiZoid ZO2 + Pro 900 = Distortion (vs. Fiio E5 & E11) *Video*