Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PX100-II Review | Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PX100-II Review | Appreciation Thread - Page 29

post #421 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golota View Post
 

I just bought the PX-100II. I have to say, the V-Jays are MUCH better for rock/metal, anything that has distorted guitar in it. There is no EQ that can make up for the lack of clarity in the PX-100, when it comes to guitar heavy genres. When you put on the V-Jays, the guitar appears in the music, when I put on the PX-100, they get strongly veiled and disappear. The bass is somewhat stronger on the PX, but the V-Jays have a lot of bass themselves and they are infinitely better for mids and highs.

 

It probably depends on the type of music, but I have a strong feeling that V-Jays are better for almost anything, other than drum n' base.

 

I'd agree with this but to me it's not a problem since I'm somewhat sensitive to higher frequencies. If you wanted to persevere with the PX100II's you might try swapping out the original pads for HD414 pads. They reduce the bass presence slightly and reduce your perceived muddiness.

post #422 of 432

Do they bring back the guitars? I kind of miss them... :)

 

I also noticed, that when I listen to podcasts at night, I have to use some EQ, to make it audible at low volume, as the speech frequencies are so muddy, I had to turn the volume on. Never had this problem with the V-Jays, or my Takstar Pro.

post #423 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golota View Post
 

Do they bring back the guitars? I kind of miss them... :)

 

I also noticed, that when I listen to podcasts at night, I have to use some EQ, to make it audible at low volume, as the speech frequencies are so muddy, I had to turn the volume on. Never had this problem with the V-Jays, or my Takstar Pro.

 

Sorry I've taken so long to reply mate. Real life & all that. Anyway, yes, the guitars do come back to a certain extent. I still don't think they're ideal for guitar rock though, at least as generally accepted. I prefer a darker sound so they suit me fine. The only reason I changed the pads was because I found the bass just a bit overpowering and I read the pad swap helped. It does. As far as spoken word goes I really like the darker signature. I actually think that's their forte.

post #424 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golota View Post
 

I just bought the PX-100II. I have to say, the V-Jays are MUCH better for rock/metal, anything that has distorted guitar in it. There is no EQ that can make up for the lack of clarity in the PX-100, when it comes to guitar heavy genres. When you put on the V-Jays, the guitar appears in the music, when I put on the PX-100, they get strongly veiled and disappear. The bass is somewhat stronger on the PX, but the V-Jays have a lot of bass themselves and they are infinitely better for mids and highs.

 

It probably depends on the type of music, but I have a strong feeling that V-Jays are better for almost anything, other than drum n' base.

Hi.What dap are you using to play rock.I love the guitar through the px 100.

post #425 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
 

Hi.What dap are you using to play rock.I love the guitar through the px 100.


I use my PC with Asus Xonar DG. Also, my Samsung S3. I can get the EQ settings to provide satisfactory sounds for metal. However, when I plug in my V-Jays, it just simply blows the Senn out of the water. The Vjays provide the hars, powerful guitar sound that are so important for metal, while the Senn is just anemic in comparison.

 

Zorrofox,

 

Thanks. I lost one of the pasd yesterday, so I might as well try new ones.

post #426 of 432

I've had the original PX-100 until they finally broke after 2 years (sadly past the warranty). That was my 3rd pair under warranty (the input connection always gave out). I then bought the PX-100II and this was more than two years ago. As far as durability I'd say the PX 100II are much better. I've only replaced the pads. They have not changed much in SQ. I do miss the "airy" openness that the old ones put out though. I've gotta say that I marginally like the new ones better. I enjoy them when walking my dog while listening to audiobooks and podcasts because of the emphasis on bass. However, I always go for the Porta-Pros for music listening as I feel they give out a cleaner sound. I am interested in finding out what the AIAIAI Tracks sound like though...

post #427 of 432

Are the HD414 pads the best ones to use with the PX100-II? Are you guys modifying it, or putting it on as is?

 

Thanks.

post #428 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Are the HD414 pads the best ones to use with the PX100-II? Are you guys modifying it, or putting it on as is?

Thanks.

I've only used the HD 414 pads & I haven't modded them in any way. I have read of some people cutting them down in some way (not sure how or why) and even saw talk from someone who was using both the stock & 414 pads simultaneously. I don't understand the rationale there either.

The HD 414 pads help lighten the bass & allow the music a bit more clarity in the mids. They are also more comfortable. And they are yellow.
post #429 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


I've only used the HD 414 pads & I haven't modded them in any way. I have read of some people cutting them down in some way (not sure how or why) and even saw talk from someone who was using both the stock & 414 pads simultaneously. I don't understand the rationale there either.

The HD 414 pads help lighten the bass & allow the music a bit more clarity in the mids. They are also more comfortable. And they are yellow.

 

Thanks. The 414 pads are larger, correct? Is the material thinner than the stock pads? What makes them sound different from the stock pads?  

post #430 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
 

 

Thanks. The 414 pads are larger, correct? Is the material thinner than the stock pads? What makes them sound different from the stock pads?  

 

Yes, they're larger but the material is actually thicker. I think it must diffuse the low frequencies I suppose. It's not a night & day difference but it is pretty obvious. Did I mention that they're yellow? I call them my ABBA cans, lol.

 

Edit - I don't know what headphones you own or have tried but the pads give the PX100II's the character of the HD 650. Not as good, obviously. But closer than you'd believe.


Edited by Zorrofox - 2/18/15 at 4:06pm
post #431 of 432

Thanks. I ordered the PX100-II and the 414 pads. How many hours until they are considered burned in?

post #432 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
 

Thanks. I ordered the PX100-II and the 414 pads. How many hours until they are considered burned in?

 

I don't remember experiencing any burn-in effects with them. They were good from the get-go. Perhaps brain burn-in is applicable particularly if you're coming from the current fad of V-shaped sig but apart from that they're good to go.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PX100-II Review | Appreciation Thread