Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Customs at age 19 - bad idea?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Customs at age 19 - bad idea? - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 

I emailed Westone, JH, and UE last night to ask them your question, posing as you. The only company to email me back by 2 pm today was Westone. Great job on customer service!

 

Here's their reply:

 

Hello,
   Thank you for your email. You are correct in saying that gaining or losing weight could change the size of your ears slightly. Each person is different. We would recommend that you hold off until your reach your desired weight loss goal, as this could effect the fit. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a good day! 

post #17 of 27

I'm 19 and i just got my UE 11 pros 2 days ago. So i'd say yes? :)

post #18 of 27

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanyuan View Post

I'm 19 and i just got my UE 11 pros 2 days ago. So i'd say yes? :)

 

An $1100+ purchase, and you're only 20 posts in.

Next step you'll be asking what the best after market cable, then what amp would bring them forward the best, then you'll want to resell them to fund some UERM's or UE18's, etc..

 

 

 

As for the topic on hand, I'd say that it's probably not that big of an issue to get them at 19 or 18 as most of your growing and changing is done.

And I've head tell form some head-fier's who have lost significant amounts of weight who haven't had to have their CIEM's reshelled.

Soft canals on the monitor themselves would probably be the safest bet if you're really that concerned.

post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 

I know the ES5 has soft, heat-activated (vinyl?) tips, what other customs are out there with that feature?

post #20 of 27

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetboy View Post

I know the ES5 has soft, heat-activated (vinyl?) tips, what other customs are out there with that feature?

 


Not to my knowledge. I've been researching customs for a while and Westone are the only one with heat-activated vinyl. Everyone else is acrylic bar a few silicone manufacturers. Best bet would be to ask someone like Average_Joe since he might know some obscure company that does something different. He contacts quite a few customs manufacturers.

post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 

I had to do a double take at your avatar, haha that's great. The vinyl tips are one of the biggest reasons i've decided to get the ES5 over the UERM or JH13. Extra comfort and isolation? Don't mind if i do!

post #22 of 27

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetboy View Post

I had to do a double take at your avatar, haha that's great. The vinyl tips are one of the biggest reasons i've decided to get the ES5 over the UERM or JH13. Extra comfort and isolation? Don't mind if i do!

 


They were going to be my CIEM of choice until I read about the Spiral Ear 5-way. Bit more expensive but far more fitting sound signature and ability from what I've read. And silicone might be a bit harder to insert but the flexibility sure will be more comfortable, I think.

 

Also, lol, thanks, I had the original cat photo from when I signed up. When I aged and matured as an audiophile (from an audiophool) I changed it to kitty with osama beard. Very fitting, I think.

post #23 of 27

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post

 

 

An $1100+ purchase, and you're only 20 posts in.

Next step you'll be asking what the best after market cable, then what amp would bring them forward the best, then you'll want to resell them to fund some UERM's or UE18's, etc..

 

 

 

As for the topic on hand, I'd say that it's probably not that big of an issue to get them at 19 or 18 as most of your growing and changing is done.

And I've head tell form some head-fier's who have lost significant amounts of weight who haven't had to have their CIEM's reshelled.

Soft canals on the monitor themselves would probably be the safest bet if you're really that concerned.

 

 

I chose the 11s over the 18s and RMs due to their sound signature so i'd say i wouldn't sell them. And I'm not obsessed with this stuff at all, just want some earphones that will do my music dignity, the 11s are probably going to be the end of my earphone journey.

post #24 of 27

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post

Anyone have some type of guidance on this weight fluctuation thing? I'm 20, and wanting to get myself CIEM's for my 21st birthday. I don't have plans to bulk up, but I do plan on losing about 20 pounds in the next year. Will that affect the fit that much? or should I wait?

 

Instead of getting the CIEMs as a gift to yourself for turning 21, why not get it as a reward after you have lost your desired amount of weight? It'd be more satisfying

post #25 of 27

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepredestrian View Post

 

 

Instead of getting the CIEMs as a gift to yourself for turning 21, why not get it as a reward after you have lost your desired amount of weight? It'd be more satisfying

 


I wholeheartedly agree. I could lose 20 pounds. I'm always on head-fi fantasizing about SE 5-way Ref's. If I associated the purchase of that CIEM with my weight loss goal I'd have a lot more motivation to do it. It's a great idea.

post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 

I say do it, you bearded kitten.


Edited by budgetboy - 5/30/12 at 4:42pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post

Anyone have some type of guidance on this weight fluctuation thing? I'm 20, and wanting to get myself CIEM's for my 21st birthday. I don't have plans to bulk up, but I do plan on losing about 20 pounds in the next year. Will that affect the fit that much? or should I wait?

It will according to modern science. Twenty pounds is pretty significant, although everyone's ear canals are different, I would consult a local audiologist.

Many things fluctuate due to growth in terms of body characteristics such as weight. When someone grows larger or smaller their breast size will also fluctuate (as inappropriate is this may sound it applies to both genders.)
Edited by Cassadian - 5/5/12 at 6:14pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Customs at age 19 - bad idea?