Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Good full-sized closed cans for work that don't have wood cups...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good full-sized closed cans for work that don't have wood cups... - Page 2

post #16 of 27

it says they wont fit the adh 2000 is that true or just bs

post #17 of 27
In true head-fi tradition I'll recommend something way outside your budget and totally impractical but which will sound wonderful: Stax 4070! One of the few closed electrostatics ever made and a strong candidate for best sounding closed cans ever made.

You know you want one.
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 

Hmmm, thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into this for certain.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post

If you're worried about damaging the wood cups, they have a pretty significant amount of laquer, and aren't really what I would call fragile. Though if you're still worried, you could sand them down to the wood, this'll make them much harder to damage, and possibly gain "character" with any damage. You can do this with stock replacement cups if you wish (you can sometimes get them from Lawton Audio for $59).



 

post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 

I didn't even know that Stax made full-sized closed headphones.

 

Oh, if only I could...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscratch View Post

In true head-fi tradition I'll recommend something way outside your budget and totally impractical but which will sound wonderful: Stax 4070! One of the few closed electrostatics ever made and a strong candidate for best sounding closed cans ever made.
You know you want one.


 

post #20 of 27

Wellll.... being $2k for the headphone only, I don't think they'd be in your budget of less than $1k...

post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 

Yeah, nowhere near my budget. Fun to dream big, though.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime1213 View Post

Wellll.... being $2k for the headphone only, I don't think they'd be in your budget of less than $1k...



 

post #22 of 27

I use AH-D7000 for work :)

post #23 of 27

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post

it says they wont fit the adh 2000 is that true or just bs


I don't think they do, but I'm willing to bet the screw holes are just in a different place. You can probably find a guide on how to mod them for the D2000's on Head-Fi.

 

 

post #24 of 27
In all seriousness though get yourself a pair of Smeggy's Thunderpants (woody modded Fostex T50RP). Now he changes them a lot and not all pairs will sound alike but the ones I've heard have been exceptional. They are not easy to drive though, you will definitely need a desktop amp.
post #25 of 27

I just bought the D2000 for work as well.  Another pair I was looking at was the Fisher Audio FA-003, whihc is also considered the Brainwavz HM5.  it is more neautral then the D2000 and less.  I say buy another pair of D2000 and do the Lawton mods.

post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 

The Thunderpants have always been at the back of my mind--but at this point, I think I'd rather sit back and see where he takes them. Plus, with all the press he's been getting recently, it seems like he really has his hands full at the moment. I'm not an impatient person really, but the quicker I settle on a pair of headphones *and* get them in my hands, the happier I'll be. :-)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscratch View Post

In all seriousness though get yourself a pair of Smeggy's Thunderpants (woody modded Fostex T50RP). Now he changes them a lot and not all pairs will sound alike but the ones I've heard have been exceptional. They are not easy to drive though, you will definitely need a desktop amp.


 

post #27 of 27

Beyerdynamic T5p is supposedly excellent, and can occasionally be found used under $1k. If I had a grand to spend in that situation, that's what I'd do! :p

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Good full-sized closed cans for work that don't have wood cups...