- 146 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Taboo Last post on 3/10/13 at 6:16am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment Last post on 9/16/14 at 2:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- anyone compared the decwarwe zen csp2+ to the bottlehead crack Last post on 11/25/12 at 2:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Decware csp2 vs. Woo Audio 6 Last post on 3/19/11 at 5:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- CSP2+/ASL OTL 32/WA2 Decisions Decisions Last post on 8/20/10 at 3:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12) - Page 62post #916 of 12073/3/13 at 3:43pmSteve mentioned a Dac on the phone with me that he said was very good and only $150. That one might be a good option, but I still don't understand if I need a balanced DAC. I hate being a Noob.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #917 of 12073/3/13 at 5:35pm^ Nothing in the changes described for the new Taboo model suggests a balanced DAC is needed or indeed can be used with it. What has changed is the Taboo III has balanced as well as single-ended headphone outs. There's quite a variety of DACs in use with Decware amps, at just about every price-point! One school of thought - which I agree with - is you should get a neutral, detailed and transparent DAC. This makes your life easier, with just the amp to tailor to your preferred sound. Which you can do *a lot* with these amps - they respond very well to different tubes.post #918 of 12073/4/13 at 3:40amQuote:
Was it the Odac? I'm thinking of using one of those with the Taboo this year and going for a better DAC next year.post #919 of 12073/4/13 at 9:46amNo, I am looking at the ODAC, but Steve mentioned something by Tascam. I will have to research it as I was in my car and didn't write down the model. I trust Steve's opinion though.post #920 of 12073/4/13 at 7:58pm
Balanced vs unbalanced. The only reason for balanced inputs or outputs is when long distances have to be covered by cable. I await the review of the Decware amp, I am anxious. I have the Taboo and CSP2+. I look forward to hearing about all the speakers at Decware too. There is currently a lot to look forward to in this thread. Please, include lots of pics.post #921 of 12073/4/13 at 8:30pmpost #922 of 12073/4/13 at 8:42pm
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the new HR-1 that's replaced my ERR's as Steve's current radial (well hybrid radial at least) design. They're significantly more "spendy" than my ERR's, but I love that he continues to use radials in some shape or form.post #923 of 12073/4/13 at 8:49pmI watched a couple of hours of Zenfest while they were listening to the HR-1's. I am not sure I should listen to them... lucky I drive a Prius and I can't fit them in the car! Seriously, it would be neat to hear them on the new monos. Yikes!post #924 of 12073/4/13 at 9:21pmThey would have a hard time pulling me out of that listening room come closing time. I wish they still offered the ERR speaker. It sounds like a good fit for me, but I am leaning towards the MG944. Still, I am concerned about a lack of power out of the Taboo and would hate to have to use my Onkyo to drive my new speakers.
First, I have to decide on a DAC and whether I should spend money on a balanced cable from Audeze or Toxic. I still have a couple months, but I am pretty indecisive. I still haven't given up the possibility of the LCD3.post #925 of 12073/4/13 at 9:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Landmantx
They would have a hard time pulling me out of that listening room come closing time. I wish they still offered the ERR speaker. It sounds like a good fit for me, but I am leaning towards the MG944. Still, I am concerned about a lack of power out of the Taboo and would hate to have to use my Onkyo to drive my new speakers.
First, I have to decide on a DAC and whether I should spend money on a balanced cable from Audeze or Toxic. I still have a couple months, but I am pretty indecisive. I still haven't given up the possibility of the LCD3.
We'll have to find some time soon when you can listen to my Taboo + LCD-3 (at least before I sell the LCD-3). Maybe we can organize a very small meet. I know I'll need to get back together with Nick Dangerous soon as he and I swapped rectifiers at the Austin meet. I'll touch base with Nick and see if we can't set something up.post #926 of 12073/4/13 at 11:56pmQuote:
Using a balanced cable with the Taboo Mkiii just allows bypass of the Lucid mode.
The power will be the same for both 1/4 inch and balanced XLR.post #927 of 12073/5/13 at 4:39ampost #928 of 12073/5/13 at 5:36amQuote:Originally Posted by jazzerdave
We'll have to find some time soon when you can listen to my Taboo + LCD-3 (at least before I sell the LCD-3). Maybe we can organize a very small meet. I know I'll need to get back together with Nick Dangerous soon as he and I swapped rectifiers at the Austin meet. I'll touch base with Nick and see if we can't set something up.
Monday the 11th or Thursday the 14th works for me. C'mon by & I have an ample-sized community room here (where I host the Dallas Head-Fi meets). I'll also provide a demo of the Concero DAC. It isn't balanced, but if you need that the X-Sabre will do & has a similar sonic signature.post #929 of 12073/5/13 at 5:43am
According to UPS the amp is out for delivery so I will have it today. I am looking forward to the process and in a couple weeks DMinches will be here so we can compare the two Taboo amps and also use the csp2 with the mpa with and without. My review should take a good 4-5 weeks to complete. The headphones I will use will be the LCDw2,LCD3,HD800,AT3000,Beyer 770 80 ohms so I have a pretty good variety of different cans to work with.
- Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 25 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a 2.1 powered speaker setup for my computer, to be used... 1 minute ago
- › AUDEZE LCD-XC practically new, superb condition 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T51i & Beyerdynamic T51p 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Help***Leaving Sales FeedBack 6 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)