- 146 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Taboo Last post on 3/10/13 at 6:16am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment Last post on 9/16/14 at 2:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- anyone compared the decwarwe zen csp2+ to the bottlehead crack Last post on 11/25/12 at 2:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Decware csp2 vs. Woo Audio 6 Last post on 3/19/11 at 5:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- CSP2+/ASL OTL 32/WA2 Decisions Decisions Last post on 8/20/10 at 3:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
Introduction: Aune Audio has been making affordable audiophile products for quite a while now – They have a number of desktop DACs and amplifiers, and recently made an entry into the portable...
The ATH-CK9LTD’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. I’ve reviewed the ATH-CKR9 and ATH-CKR10 earlier, those reviews are available...
Intro: JDS Labs, Is an American company based in Collinsville, Illinois. They make headphone amplifiers & DAC’s. Mr. John Seaber is the man behind JDS Labs. We might remember JDS Labs when they...
For the price they offer great clarity, but I cannot reccomend these to people who mainly listen to bass heavy music. I still use my UM Pro10's regularly (I also have a pair of Audio Technica...
Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12) - Page 62post #916 of 12333/3/13 at 3:43pmSteve mentioned a Dac on the phone with me that he said was very good and only $150. That one might be a good option, but I still don't understand if I need a balanced DAC. I hate being a Noob.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #917 of 12333/3/13 at 5:35pm^ Nothing in the changes described for the new Taboo model suggests a balanced DAC is needed or indeed can be used with it. What has changed is the Taboo III has balanced as well as single-ended headphone outs. There's quite a variety of DACs in use with Decware amps, at just about every price-point! One school of thought - which I agree with - is you should get a neutral, detailed and transparent DAC. This makes your life easier, with just the amp to tailor to your preferred sound. Which you can do *a lot* with these amps - they respond very well to different tubes.post #918 of 12333/4/13 at 3:40amQuote:
Was it the Odac? I'm thinking of using one of those with the Taboo this year and going for a better DAC next year.post #919 of 12333/4/13 at 9:46amNo, I am looking at the ODAC, but Steve mentioned something by Tascam. I will have to research it as I was in my car and didn't write down the model. I trust Steve's opinion though.post #920 of 12333/4/13 at 7:58pm
Balanced vs unbalanced. The only reason for balanced inputs or outputs is when long distances have to be covered by cable. I await the review of the Decware amp, I am anxious. I have the Taboo and CSP2+. I look forward to hearing about all the speakers at Decware too. There is currently a lot to look forward to in this thread. Please, include lots of pics.post #921 of 12333/4/13 at 8:30pmpost #922 of 12333/4/13 at 8:42pm
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the new HR-1 that's replaced my ERR's as Steve's current radial (well hybrid radial at least) design. They're significantly more "spendy" than my ERR's, but I love that he continues to use radials in some shape or form.post #923 of 12333/4/13 at 8:49pmI watched a couple of hours of Zenfest while they were listening to the HR-1's. I am not sure I should listen to them... lucky I drive a Prius and I can't fit them in the car! Seriously, it would be neat to hear them on the new monos. Yikes!post #924 of 12333/4/13 at 9:21pmThey would have a hard time pulling me out of that listening room come closing time. I wish they still offered the ERR speaker. It sounds like a good fit for me, but I am leaning towards the MG944. Still, I am concerned about a lack of power out of the Taboo and would hate to have to use my Onkyo to drive my new speakers.
First, I have to decide on a DAC and whether I should spend money on a balanced cable from Audeze or Toxic. I still have a couple months, but I am pretty indecisive. I still haven't given up the possibility of the LCD3.post #925 of 12333/4/13 at 9:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Landmantx
They would have a hard time pulling me out of that listening room come closing time. I wish they still offered the ERR speaker. It sounds like a good fit for me, but I am leaning towards the MG944. Still, I am concerned about a lack of power out of the Taboo and would hate to have to use my Onkyo to drive my new speakers.
First, I have to decide on a DAC and whether I should spend money on a balanced cable from Audeze or Toxic. I still have a couple months, but I am pretty indecisive. I still haven't given up the possibility of the LCD3.
We'll have to find some time soon when you can listen to my Taboo + LCD-3 (at least before I sell the LCD-3). Maybe we can organize a very small meet. I know I'll need to get back together with Nick Dangerous soon as he and I swapped rectifiers at the Austin meet. I'll touch base with Nick and see if we can't set something up.post #926 of 12333/4/13 at 11:56pmQuote:
Using a balanced cable with the Taboo Mkiii just allows bypass of the Lucid mode.
The power will be the same for both 1/4 inch and balanced XLR.post #927 of 12333/5/13 at 4:39ampost #928 of 12333/5/13 at 5:36amQuote:Originally Posted by jazzerdave
We'll have to find some time soon when you can listen to my Taboo + LCD-3 (at least before I sell the LCD-3). Maybe we can organize a very small meet. I know I'll need to get back together with Nick Dangerous soon as he and I swapped rectifiers at the Austin meet. I'll touch base with Nick and see if we can't set something up.
Monday the 11th or Thursday the 14th works for me. C'mon by & I have an ample-sized community room here (where I host the Dallas Head-Fi meets). I'll also provide a demo of the Concero DAC. It isn't balanced, but if you need that the X-Sabre will do & has a similar sonic signature.post #929 of 12333/5/13 at 5:43am
According to UPS the amp is out for delivery so I will have it today. I am looking forward to the process and in a couple weeks DMinches will be here so we can compare the two Taboo amps and also use the csp2 with the mpa with and without. My review should take a good 4-5 weeks to complete. The headphones I will use will be the LCDw2,LCD3,HD800,AT3000,Beyer 770 80 ohms so I have a pretty good variety of different cans to work with.post #930 of 12333/5/13 at 6:05am
- Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Upgrade directions 27 seconds ago
- › Aune X1S 32bit DSD DAC worldwide review tour ------reviewers... 30 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › Theft of Orpheus at IFA 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 5 minutes ago
- › The longevity of cheap alarm clocks 7 minutes ago
- › DAC Suggestions with XLR Outputs and a Headphone AMP? 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 9 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 10 minutes ago
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-technica Ath-m50 Studio Monitor Headphones Limited Red Model... by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by ezekiel77
- › SMSL sApII Pro by DaveLT
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2