Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12) - Page 68

post #1006 of 1216
Frank! I thought you were being commendably restrained, posting no impressions until you were sure :-)

And all this time it was a wrong part lol!
post #1007 of 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

That sounds like a fun time!!!!

I am really looking forward to this and mores so it been a while since i seen David and Zheng

post #1008 of 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDee View Post

Frank! I thought you were being commendably restrained, posting no impressions until you were sure :-)

And all this time it was a wrong part lol!

LOL I will post some impression after the mini meet and also there will be some other excellent people here to post their impressions and other amps to compare this new amp with.

post #1009 of 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

LOL I will post some impression after the mini meet and also there will be some other excellent people here to post their impressions and other amps to compare this new amp with.


 Looking forward to it, Frank! Would be great to hear that "no, you don't really need to buy the DNA Stratus to make your LCD-3 sound good through a tube amp."

post #1010 of 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post


 Looking forward to it, Frank! Would be great to hear that "no, you don't really need to buy the DNA Stratus to make your LCD-3 sound good through a tube amp."

Resist the urge LOL. The Stratus is nice looking for sure and the tubes are a small fortune but does look interesting but 2600.00 for me right now is not in the picture.

post #1011 of 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Just to bring everyone up to date on what is happening with my Decware Taboo review. The first unit I had on hand there was an issue with the amplifier in that when it was built they put a 100 ohm resistor instead of a 1ohm resistor so the volume is not getting very loud. Steve  Deckert has rectified this and is shipping a 2nd production sample amp to me today and will be here Thursday. On Saturday DMinches is joining me with a friend at my home for a shoot out. He bringing the original Taboo and the OTL Glenn built for him and Zheng is bringing a Woo 6SE. We will be comparing all the amps with the amps on hand. There will be LCD2.2,LCD3,AT3000ANV and HD800 primarily used for the mini meet.   We will also be using the CSP2 and the Violectric V200.

 

I will post some pictures and everyones impressions on Monday with some initial comments and followup with a full blown review in about 3-4weeks from there. I am looking foward to the meeting on Saturday and the rest of my review process.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

That sounds like a fun time!!!!

Wish I could be there!

post #1012 of 1216

Hey CSP+ owners... anyone else give the Valve Art 274B rectifier a try? I'm auditioning one from cryoset.com. Nice tube. Doesn't quite eclipse my current favorite RCA 5Y3GT, but it does some fun things unique to this variety.

 

Most significantly, the soundstage has taken on a greater 3D sense of spaciousness. It has a certain shimmery quality to it... guitar strings and voices are rendered more delicately than the straight-up visceral tone of the RCA. But overall I prefer the slightly deeper bass and rock-and-roll tone of the RCA, so it stays. But I'll keep the Valve Art for future forays into outer space.

 

Now if I could get the tone, bass, *and* spaciousness in one... hmmmm..... rollin' rollin' rollin' the glass...

post #1013 of 1216

I just ordered one. I will post once I have it in hand!

post #1014 of 1216
Good find Nick. I may pick one up. Super affordable.
post #1015 of 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous View Post

Hey CSP+ owners... anyone else give the Valve Art 274B rectifier a try? I'm auditioning one from cryoset.com. Nice tube. Doesn't quite eclipse my current favorite RCA 5Y3GT, but it does some fun things unique to this variety.

 

Most significantly, the soundstage has taken on a greater 3D sense of spaciousness. It has a certain shimmery quality to it... guitar strings and voices are rendered more delicately than the straight-up visceral tone of the RCA. But overall I prefer the slightly deeper bass and rock-and-roll tone of the RCA, so it stays. But I'll keep the Valve Art for future forays into outer space.

 

Now if I could get the tone, bass, *and* spaciousness in one... hmmmm..... rollin' rollin' rollin' the glass...

Steve sent me one with the Taboo Mk111. it seemed oK but the Hytron 5U4GA is better as is the Sylvania 5U4G my favorite rectifier with the taboo amps and also my first choice with the csp2. Valve Art is a branded Shuguang tube. Made in China and also they brand some Ruby tubes all made by shuguang. The 274B has been on the market now for a few years under the Valve art brand.  Try the Sylvania 5U4G for the bass and tone it also has a big sense of air making it my go to rectifier

post #1016 of 1216
It's good there is so much CSP+/Taboo experience out there already. When the MKIII comes, it will be my first foray into tube amps, so I'm clueless about this whole rolling thing. Stuff like "Hytron 5U4GA is better as is the Sylvania 5U4G" is exactly what I'm hoping to see here.
post #1017 of 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

It's good there is so much CSP+/Taboo experience out there already. When the MKIII comes, it will be my first foray into tube amps, so I'm clueless about this whole rolling thing. Stuff like "Hytron 5U4GA is better as is the Sylvania 5U4G" is exactly what I'm hoping to see here.

Plenty of opinions will be given there are some people really rolling tubes for the Decware stuff. I also have another Phillips rectifier on its way so I will be using 4 or five different ocmbos in my review when it completed and there are so many great tubes for these amps and they can be found for not-much money

post #1018 of 1216
We are all also waiting on Frank's coming magnum opus. Let's not forget that little peice of fine literature that is still in the works. Hopefully, it will confirm that I am a lucky hi-fi'er for taking advantage of the $200 pre-sale. If not, we will all have the most beautiful doorstop ever created :-). I am getting so anxious to get it in, I can hardly contain myself. I will probably have to start making way for it soon. Still undecided about pretty much everything except the Pendragons. Still can't decide on cans. I have moments where I go back to the LCD and moments where I flip to the beauty of the TH900 then moments where I desire the HD800s. Then, I will wonder if I should sample the T1 first. Then I get tired head and don't make any decision.
post #1019 of 1216
So much to look forward to: we've got Frank's review of the Mark III, and the Mark III itself. It seems like a lot of these tubes are pretty inexpensive while others are harder to find and more expensive. I'm most curious to see how much difference they make in sound. This could be lots of fun. As far as cans go, I'm pretty happy (really enthralled) w/my LCD's, but based on what I read of the Fostex's and the Senns, it doesn't sounds like you'd be unhappy either way, Landmantx.
post #1020 of 1216
The T1 works great with CSP2 and good with Taboo II. Nowhere near as good all-round as my LCD 2.1 however.

Fwiw, purrin found some pretty untidy CSD measurements with the T1s he was able to test, whereas lcd2 and especially 3 and the hd800 are much cleaner.

I still find T1 pretty good. It gave a much better 'performance' of some solo Bach violin material a couple of weeks ago, much more passionate than the relaxed LCD. Ironically, this may have been thanks to the t1's apparent greater proneness to ringing!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)