or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Spotify, is the quality good enough?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spotify, is the quality good enough? - Page 5

post #61 of 78
You also have to consider that Spotify uses Vobis which sounds better at the same bitrate than MP3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post

You also have to consider that Spotify uses Vobis which sounds better at the same bitrate than MP3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

weird. i didn't know that. when did they make the switch? I swear they were using mp3s a year ago lol

post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post

You also have to consider that Spotify uses Vobis which sounds better at the same bitrate than MP3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

weird. i didn't know that. when did they make the switch? I swear they were using mp3s a year ago lol


Vorbis*

I am pretty sure they have been using Vorbis the entire time. I used them for over two years and I was told at the time I was signing up that they used Vorbis by their support and their webpage. Checked several times throughout the time I was using them and it was the same thing. This is taken from their FAQ sheet:

Spotify uses 3 quality ratings for streaming, all in the Ogg Vorbis format.

~96 kbps
Normal quality on mobile.
~160 kbps
Desktop and web player standard quality.
High quality on mobile.
~320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers)
Desktop high quality.
Extreme quality on mobile.
Click here to learn how to change streaming quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #64 of 78

Spotify has been using OGG Vorbis for at least as long as they've been in the US. I do know they were caught just upconverting the 160 to 320 very early on, but after the backlash they got proper 320 for their whole library.

post #65 of 78
I forgot they were caught upconverting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post
 

Spotify has been using OGG Vorbis for at least as long as they've been in the US. I do know they were caught just upconverting the 160 to 320 very early on, but after the backlash they got proper 320 for their whole library.

lolllll... that is sketch! and it's horrible practice b/c it just makes the audio quality worse.

 

i really hope they straightened up, but it's hard to hold spotify accountable for something behind-the-scenes like that. how did they get caught?

post #67 of 78
Someone did some sort of advanced comparison with the 320 and 160 files. Can't remember what they did.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #68 of 78

For general listening and music, spotify is good enough. For audiophile music/holic sessions I use FLAC files.

post #69 of 78

hey, do any of you guys using spotify notice any distortion or slight audio quality issues when you upgraded to a much better hi-fi set-up? I've been noticing stuff with my new gear & when I relisten to it using old equipment, it seems like it's the source. however, i've never really noticed it before with lower-end equipment. kinda makes me a bit sad. is it inenvietable that you need to get your own source when you start getting into the really nice headphones? i love the convenience and ease of use of spotify. are there any similar subscription based services with such a wide variety of tracks with even nicer audio quality?

 

it's actually funny because when I blind test FLAC vs spotify, I can't tell the difference with a lot of tracks. are some tracks out there just badly mixed/mastered/recorded? :(!!!!

post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

hey, do any of you guys using spotify notice any distortion or slight audio quality issues when you upgraded to a much better hi-fi set-up? I've been noticing stuff with my new gear & when I relisten to it using old equipment, it seems like it's the source. however, i've never really noticed it before with lower-end equipment. kinda makes me a bit sad. is it inenvietable that you need to get your own source when you start getting into the really nice headphones? i love the convenience and ease of use of spotify. are there any similar subscription based services with such a wide variety of tracks with even nicer audio quality?

 

it's actually funny because when I blind test FLAC vs spotify, I can't tell the difference with a lot of tracks. are some tracks out there just badly mixed/mastered/recorded? :(!!!!

 

Have you set "High Quality Audio" in the Preferences? I just dropped Spotify for Google Music All Access about a month ago and I can't tell any difference in audio quality (both are excellent for streaming - pretty sure in a real test I would have a hard time figuring out the difference between FLAC and Spotify/All Access).  Granted I never did any serious testing while I was subscribed to both but nothing obviously different.

post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
 

Have you set "High Quality Audio" in the Preferences? I just dropped Spotify for Google Music All Access about a month ago and I can't tell any difference in audio quality (both are excellent for streaming - pretty sure in a real test I would have a hard time figuring out the difference between FLAC and Spotify/All Access).  Granted I never did any serious testing while I was subscribed to both but nothing obviously different.

hahaha yea. high quality audio in spotify. all audio enhancements off. granted the quality is very good, but there are some very subtle source related stuff tho bc when i test it with other headphones, i can pick up on it as well, tho not noticeable at all until i use my HE400+dac/amp.

post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

hahaha yea. high quality audio in spotify. all audio enhancements off. granted the quality is very good, but there are some very subtle source related stuff tho bc when i test it with other headphones, i can pick up on it as well, tho not noticeable at all until i use my HE400+dac/amp.

 

I haven't done much listening with Google All Access since I have had my HE-400's.  Been much too busy listening to WASAPI'ed FLAC on my Dragonfly :beerchug:.

post #73 of 78

I have to subscribe to both Spotify and MOG since my sons are heavy Internet gamers. I can only listen to Spotify while they are asleep otherwise my hi-speed AT&T Internet would not be as fast as without the Spotify for my sons play Internet games.

 

MOG is only good on my Iphone, Ipod Touch since I can play my playlist without connecting to the Internet. MOG drives me crazy on my IMac, and my laptop. I never can finish a portion of a song without severe intermittent audio drop out even when my sons are not on the Internet.

 

So my schedule is to listen to MOG on my Iphone, Ipod Touch any time I want and I listen to Spotify when my sons are asleep. What's with MOG on the IMac and HP laptop ? MOG works perfectly on my Iphone and my Ipod Touch. This does not make any sense to me.

 

Can somebody help me to figure it out what's going on with MOG?

post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDOAN View Post
 

I have to subscribe to both Spotify and MOG since my sons are heavy Internet gamers. I can only listen to Spotify while they are asleep otherwise my hi-speed AT&T Internet would not be as fast as without the Spotify for my sons play Internet games.

 

MOG is only good on my Iphone, Ipod Touch since I can play my playlist without connecting to the Internet. MOG drives me crazy on my IMac, and my laptop. I never can finish a portion of a song without severe intermittent audio drop out even when my sons are not on the Internet.

 

So my schedule is to listen to MOG on my Iphone, Ipod Touch any time I want and I listen to Spotify when my sons are asleep. What's with MOG on the IMac and HP laptop ? MOG works perfectly on my Iphone and my Ipod Touch. This does not make any sense to me.

 

Can somebody help me to figure it out what's going on with MOG?

 

There is much discussion of the problem on MOG's website under Help / Support / Web Player.

 

Also, you may want to try installing MOG's desktop player and use that instead of trying to play MOG in a browser:

 

https://mog.com/#!computer

post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDOAN View Post
 

I have to subscribe to both Spotify and MOG since my sons are heavy Internet gamers. I can only listen to Spotify while they are asleep otherwise my hi-speed AT&T Internet would not be as fast as without the Spotify for my sons play Internet games.

 

MOG is only good on my Iphone, Ipod Touch since I can play my playlist without connecting to the Internet. MOG drives me crazy on my IMac, and my laptop. I never can finish a portion of a song without severe intermittent audio drop out even when my sons are not on the Internet.

 

So my schedule is to listen to MOG on my Iphone, Ipod Touch any time I want and I listen to Spotify when my sons are asleep. What's with MOG on the IMac and HP laptop ? MOG works perfectly on my Iphone and my Ipod Touch. This does not make any sense to me.

 

Can somebody help me to figure it out what's going on with MOG?

lol mog is trash. hahaha you shld just use spotify.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Spotify, is the quality good enough?