Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › FX700 and EX1000 Owners: What Other IEMs Have You Purchased That You've Been Happy with?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FX700 and EX1000 Owners: What Other IEMs Have You Purchased That You've Been Happy with?

post #1 of 142
Thread Starter 

Currently, I only listen to my FX700s and EX1000s.  I have sold off everything else because I found myself not using anything but these two IEMs.  I have had the FX700s for some time now and love them; they have been my favorite IEM for quite some time now.  The EX1000 is the only IEM that I have heard that can give it a run for it's money.  I now use the FX700 for when I want that aggressive, v-shaped sound signature with the powerful low-end.  I use the EX1000 for when I want the pure lush of a more balanced sound signature.

 

I have the Head-Fi bug again and would like to purchase another universal top-tier IEM.  I have researched various IEMs daily now for quite some time and haven't been sold on one yet like I was with these two.  I'm not going to name the ones I have been researching/considering because I want to keep the question open-ended.

 

For those of you that love and own the FX700 and EX1000, what other IEMs have you purchased that you've been happy with overall - whether it was a upgrade or sidegrade in technical ability? 

 

I fear spending money on a set that I will not like, leave me feeling like I just downgraded or am missing something.  I don't mind a different sound signature, just something of the same technical abilities and quality as these two IEMs.  As a quick bio, I listen mostly to hip-hop and jambands (like Dave Matthews Band), and all of my files are FLAC.


Edited by BassInMyFace - 2/4/12 at 5:25pm
post #2 of 142

I appreciate that they're much cheaper, but have you considered FutureSonics' Atrio MG7?

 

For $99 plus shipping you really can't go wrong!

 

(www.atrio.me  and  coupon code = CostProg50%)

post #3 of 142
Thread Starter 

I have had them before and was impressed, but I was not as impressed overall as I have been with these two IEMs.

 

Does anyone else have any input?

post #4 of 142

I found myself in the same predicament about a month ago. Now, I don't know how well they're going to mesh with your choice in music or preference for bass, but I have to throw the AKG 3003's out here. True, they are ruinously expensive and a tad "LOOK AT ME"; but the sound of these things are simply sublime. The AKG's have managed to pull me away from my EX1000's in a similar way that the latter made me ignore my FX700's. I can actually say that I'm completely happy with my purchase, which is something I couldn't say about the other two.


Edited by bizkit - 1/31/12 at 8:46pm
post #5 of 142


.


Edited by music_4321 - 3/5/12 at 11:05am
post #6 of 142

By the looks of it, it does look more low profile. EX1000's are truly the look at me IEM, those things stick out like no other and have a big shell to add to that. FX700s are flashier as well, though they're more apparent on this when they are looked at when not being worn. 

 

It is a stand out if the person knows how much that thing costs though. 


Edited by Inks - 1/31/12 at 9:05pm
post #7 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassInMyFace View Post

I have had them before and was impressed, but I was not as impressed overall as I have been with these two IEMs.

 

Does anyone else have any input?



The IE80 are a great IEM. They are more laid back with a bigger sound stage. I also own the FX700 and think they both compliment each other well. I had the EX1000 but had issues with sibilance. It depends on what you are looking for in a sound signature. Are you looking for treble happy bright? Balanced? Fun? The IE80 would be more on the fun side but are much more balanced stock when compared to the former IE8.

post #8 of 142
The UM3x, EQ7, GR10 willbe sidegrade but like UM3x offers superb imaging, instruments placements and forward mids(GR10 is close following), the EQ7 is very crisp, clear in mids wth good punchy bass and nice highend details.
post #9 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

By the looks of it, it does look more low profile. EX1000's are truly the look at me IEM, those things stick out like no other and have a big shell to add to that. FX700s are flashier as well, though they're more apparent on this when they are looked at when not being worn. 

 

It is a stand out if the person knows how much that thing costs though. 


 

I thought the same thing until I was questioned about them on several different occasions while randomly strolling around HK and KL over the last month.

post #10 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post



The IE80 are a great IEM. They are more laid back with a bigger sound stage. I also own the FX700 and think they both compliment each other well. I had the EX1000 but had issues with sibilance. It depends on what you are looking for in a sound signature. Are you looking for treble happy bright? Balanced? Fun? The IE80 would be more on the fun side but are much more balanced stock when compared to the former IE8.


I found that I enjoy all ends of spectrums spectrum as of late - bass, midrange, and treble.

 

The AKGs aren't available in the US yet, so those are not one of my options as of right now.
 

 

post #11 of 142

I went from FX700 to IE8 and I didn't like it (more depth but a step back in clarity and bass quality).

I went from FX700 to EPH-100 and liked it. Essentially a small step back for bass and treble, while gaining a lot in mids quality and separation. My first step towards non-V shaped IEMs.

Then the door was open for more mid centered-signature IEMs: UM3X and then SE535 Special Edition, the latter being almost opposite to FX700.

 

At the end of the journey, I'm still very attracted to FX700 but wish they would have more mids and better separation (too bad you can't make hybrids as you would do in gardening...).

So they get a little lonely, while EPH-100 and SE535Red are getting all the attention.


Edited by tienbasse - 2/3/12 at 1:28pm
post #12 of 142


Synergy is also key. A Hifiman 601/602 would solve the mid range issue on the FX700. The FX700 also has great separation for a dynamic. BA would suite you better if that is what you are mainly after.  The thing is BA generally sound very artificial and unconvincing to me. The IE80 is significantly better than the IE8 when compared stock and no EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post

I went from FX700 to IE8 and I didn't like it (more depth but a step back in clarity and bass quality).

I went from FX700 to EPH-100 and liked it. Essentially a small step back for bass and treble, while gaining a lot in mids quality and separation. My first step towards non-V shaped IEMs.

Then the door was open for more centered-signature IEMs: UM3X and then SE535 Special Edition, the latter being almost opposite to FX700.

 

At the end of the journey, I'm still very attracted to FX700 but wish they would have more mids and better separation (too bad you can't make hybrids as you would do in gardening...).

So they get a little lonely, while EPH-100 and SE535Red are getting all the attention.



 

post #13 of 142

Even with that combo the mids were highly recessed for me. Both the bass and treble were a bit overblown on the FX700 for me. BAs are fine in timbre , if anything dynamics are the ones with a more colored artificial tone that generally is on the darker side IME. 

post #14 of 142

Even with that combo the mids were highly recessed for me. Both the bass and treble were a bit overblown on the FX700 for me. BAs are fine in timbre , if anything dynamics are the ones with a more colored artificial tone that generally is on the darker side IME. 

post #15 of 142
Thread Starter 

The more I listen to the EX1000, the more they may just be the answer...  I'm starting to enjoy the lush mids more than the aggressive v-shaped signature as well tienbasse.

 

Any other opinions for upgrades/sidegrades?


Edited by BassInMyFace - 2/2/12 at 8:24pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › FX700 and EX1000 Owners: What Other IEMs Have You Purchased That You've Been Happy with?