I've managed to fix the jack plug on my pair, I'm glad I can enjoy them again! This headphone doesn't do anything miraculous but it doesn't have any flaw either. It's just extremely smooth and coherent over the range, and the soundstage is very engaging. I'm using them directly off my CDP and it has a good body & presence. It might sound weaker and more analytical off portable sources. There are indeed mixed opinions about its supposed flatness, for instance the original owner of my CD900ST found it darker than his HD650, which others probably wouldn't agree with... maybe a source/amp issue? Anyway I can state I liked them better unamped than the Thunderpants and probably the Z1000 that I auditionned recently.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR-V6 at Amazon Last post on 6/30/14 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- sony mdr v6 and fiio e6 Last post on 6/30/14 at 3:48pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Looking for New Over-Ears Last post on 6/17/14 at 8:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Durable Full Sized Headphones under US$50 - Part 2 :P Last post on 6/15/14 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- ASUS Xonar Essence One + AKG Q701 Last post on 6/11/14 at 8:22pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
On a side note, Japanese company tend to make/release better product within their country only, not only sony, but jvc victor too, the hp dx1000 sound more amazing than its international version ha dx1000.
I did compare them about a month ago but... anyways...
"Currently listening with the z1000 with Mundorf Cable and cd900st with Stock Cable in a more quiet room (my room) and I can definitely say now that the z1000 indeed has a lot better detail retrieval in the upper midrange and treble region. I can hear both micro-details without listening really hard to the songs but the z1000 produces those micro-details much more clearer. Not to the point that it sounds harsh. It still sounds smooth but the upper midrange to treble region is more prominent than the cd900st. On some instruments, I also find the Midrange are about the same but I still find the z1000's midrange sweeter but not as sweet as an LCD2 or sm3.
On the other hand, cd900st sounds smoother and laid-back on the frequency range that I mentioned above. With this, it feels like that cd900st has bigger headstage now and I don't know why that happened as I always know that the cd900st puts the whole mid-range region forward, but now it isn't anymore, specially in the upper mid-range region. Maybe because of the source? or burn-in? The cd900st has about 200-300 hours now while I am not sure with the z1000 but I'm guessing its around 100 hours or less.
Both headphones have accurate bass that doesn't sound distorted even with bassy tracks. Both headphone's bass are somewhat lacking for other people, but they are enough for me. Note that I'm not fond of bassy headphones.
Now for the obvious, the cd900st is still more comfortable but the z1000 gives a lot better isolation and better clamping but not to the point that it hurts your head with the clamping."
I'm using the DX100 as the source. Also, I did not adjust the volume so the CD900st sounds bigger or wider due to impedance difference. I could give it a second whirl sometime though.
Edited by Dyaems - 5/17/12 at 1:01am
You can actually get the pads outside of Japan? This is definitely nice to know. I was afraid of the pads inevitably falling apart and having to use the V6 or *shudder* the Beyer pads.
I think there is an ebay seller of cd900st pads. I'm not sure if the pads in the pic is for the CD900ST as somewhat different from the stock pads.
I somewhat agree. I sold my z1000 because almost everything that the Z1000 has, the CD900ST has it as well. For me, its like the CD900ST is about 90% of the z1000. And the cable alone, costs as much as a pair of CD900ST, if not, more!
I'll try to compare the Z1000 and the CD900ST again using stock cables for the Z1000 when I can borrow or audition another pair sometime. Although the stock cable sounds really different from the Mundorf cable.
I also think the CD900ST is good as it is, no need to mod it in any way as the sound changes (usually worse) when modding it. I remember attempting to use angled pads and everything sounds thin, lol
The MDR-V6 pads changes the sound. I tried it. My contact at Sony said he can order them in the U.S., but it's not cheap at $33 ea.
The CD900st can be had with coiled cable too. I don't know of they will ship to U.S.
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 5/17/12 at 6:00pm
- Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed. A Teeny-Weeny Update! (page 104) 56 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 6 minutes ago
- › BIGGEST INTEREST CHECK (IC for now, possibly FS/FT): 50+ Mid-tier... 7 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 7 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 10 minutes ago
- › Suitable FiiO X3 charger? 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 13 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 15 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 15 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)