I've managed to fix the jack plug on my pair, I'm glad I can enjoy them again! This headphone doesn't do anything miraculous but it doesn't have any flaw either. It's just extremely smooth and coherent over the range, and the soundstage is very engaging. I'm using them directly off my CDP and it has a good body & presence. It might sound weaker and more analytical off portable sources. There are indeed mixed opinions about its supposed flatness, for instance the original owner of my CD900ST found it darker than his HD650, which others probably wouldn't agree with... maybe a source/amp issue? Anyway I can state I liked them better unamped than the Thunderpants and probably the Z1000 that I auditionned recently.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Inexpensive headphones for monitoring audio in movie production Last post on 9/18/14 at 10:23am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best headphones for home use under 50$ Last post on 9/22/14 at 6:23am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for a set similar in sound to the HD 280 Pro but with slightly less deep bass. Last post on 8/29/14 at 2:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ath m40x vs ath m50x comparison ,,strengths and weakness of each, pros and cons? Last post on 9/24/14 at 1:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- moded . . Senal SMH-500 and SMH-1000 . . Sony MDR7506 and MDR-V6 . . with special thanks to... Last post on 8/23/14 at 2:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
After owning the PS Audio PWD II for six months, most recently running firmware version 2.4.6 (which is the best I tried), I wanted to move to a dac/preamp solution that would include analog inputs...
Prior to owning the Ref 1, Tralucent Audio was primarily known to me for it Uber cable as well as its silver/gold cable. I own both cables terminated for Fitear customs. I have had the Ref 1...
Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
On a side note, Japanese company tend to make/release better product within their country only, not only sony, but jvc victor too, the hp dx1000 sound more amazing than its international version ha dx1000.
I did compare them about a month ago but... anyways...
"Currently listening with the z1000 with Mundorf Cable and cd900st with Stock Cable in a more quiet room (my room) and I can definitely say now that the z1000 indeed has a lot better detail retrieval in the upper midrange and treble region. I can hear both micro-details without listening really hard to the songs but the z1000 produces those micro-details much more clearer. Not to the point that it sounds harsh. It still sounds smooth but the upper midrange to treble region is more prominent than the cd900st. On some instruments, I also find the Midrange are about the same but I still find the z1000's midrange sweeter but not as sweet as an LCD2 or sm3.
On the other hand, cd900st sounds smoother and laid-back on the frequency range that I mentioned above. With this, it feels like that cd900st has bigger headstage now and I don't know why that happened as I always know that the cd900st puts the whole mid-range region forward, but now it isn't anymore, specially in the upper mid-range region. Maybe because of the source? or burn-in? The cd900st has about 200-300 hours now while I am not sure with the z1000 but I'm guessing its around 100 hours or less.
Both headphones have accurate bass that doesn't sound distorted even with bassy tracks. Both headphone's bass are somewhat lacking for other people, but they are enough for me. Note that I'm not fond of bassy headphones.
Now for the obvious, the cd900st is still more comfortable but the z1000 gives a lot better isolation and better clamping but not to the point that it hurts your head with the clamping."
I'm using the DX100 as the source. Also, I did not adjust the volume so the CD900st sounds bigger or wider due to impedance difference. I could give it a second whirl sometime though.
Edited by Dyaems - 5/17/12 at 1:01am
You can actually get the pads outside of Japan? This is definitely nice to know. I was afraid of the pads inevitably falling apart and having to use the V6 or *shudder* the Beyer pads.
I think there is an ebay seller of cd900st pads. I'm not sure if the pads in the pic is for the CD900ST as somewhat different from the stock pads.
I somewhat agree. I sold my z1000 because almost everything that the Z1000 has, the CD900ST has it as well. For me, its like the CD900ST is about 90% of the z1000. And the cable alone, costs as much as a pair of CD900ST, if not, more!
I'll try to compare the Z1000 and the CD900ST again using stock cables for the Z1000 when I can borrow or audition another pair sometime. Although the stock cable sounds really different from the Mundorf cable.
I also think the CD900ST is good as it is, no need to mod it in any way as the sound changes (usually worse) when modding it. I remember attempting to use angled pads and everything sounds thin, lol
The MDR-V6 pads changes the sound. I tried it. My contact at Sony said he can order them in the U.S., but it's not cheap at $33 ea.
The CD900st can be had with coiled cable too. I don't know of they will ship to U.S.
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 5/17/12 at 6:00pm
- Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FS: Sennheiser HD-800 Headphones Complete 11 seconds ago
- › ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond 19 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 32 seconds ago
- › Chi-Uni-Fi 8.5 Chicago Area HP Meet - Nov 8th 2014 42 seconds ago
- › Grado Labs NEW e series headphones and loaner program! 52 seconds ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 1 minute ago
- › Need help in deciding on a pair of headphones 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › The best headphones that give you a real fun experience when... 3 minutes ago
- › Grace Design m920 by boatheelmusic
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kiats
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Audiophile1811
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)