Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Soundstage Head Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Soundstage Head Club - Page 2

post #16 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post

For iem's i vote yamaha eph-100, they beat even my pro 900's for soundstage.


IME it's not unusual for IEMs to beat closed full-sized headphones in soundstage. The EPH-100's presentation is decent, but not as open as some other's. Out of the ones I've heard, I'd vote for the Sony EX1000, JVC FX700, Final Audio FI-BA-SS and AKG K3003 for most spacious soundstage.

post #17 of 301

Amps that have noticeably bigger soundstage than others that I have heard:

 

AMB Beta22

Cavalli Audio Bijou (especially when paired with Beyer T1)

 

Dac:

Buffalo 24

 

Size/quality of power supply seem to matter in terms of soundstage of amp or dac.

 

 

post #18 of 301

amps:

 

Eddie current zana deux, the deepest soundstage i've ever heard..

post #19 of 301

For IEM's, I'd add the JVC FXC-51's, they are reminicient in size of soundstage to my FA-011's :D and they are only $35, HUGE bang for the buck

post #20 of 301

Westone 2 has pretty wide soundstage for an IEM, doesnt feel far behind HD600s at all. I dont know how HD600s fare against other headphones, but they are definitely not as wide as HD555s.

post #21 of 301

Let's add the Beyerdynamic DTX910. They are open back and they give me a lot of Head Room. bigsmile_face.gif

post #22 of 301
Thread Starter 

Added the westones and the DTX 910's...

post #23 of 301

The Xeport 5010-8 is an IEM and it can even throw further sonic cues then my VSonic GR06. Very Wide Soundstage, but depth is average for the price.

post #24 of 301

On the Staxen, the SR-009 isn't a Lambda; as far as I know it's just the SR-009 (it looks more similar to the Omega series though). An example of a Lambda would be the SR-Lambda, a modern headphone would be like the SR-507. I don't know much beyond that, or what any of them truly sound like though.

 

I'd say we could also add the Sony MDR-SA5000 to the Sony camp and the Kenwood KH-K1000 to the closed section. 

 

On the "question" over whether or not the HD 600 should be up there - my HD 580s are "good" but probably the "worst" of my entire collection in terms of soundstaging (yes even against the Kenwood closed headphones); much better than lots else though. So I'd say "yes" for them, but maybe someone else has another opinion.

 


Edited by obobskivich - 2/19/12 at 11:29am
post #25 of 301

What about throwing in some albums or something that take advantage of headphones that have large sound stage capabilities?

post #26 of 301


That's a very cool idea! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vese View Post

What about throwing in some albums or something that take advantage of headphones that have large sound stage capabilities?



 

post #27 of 301
post #28 of 301

So far for me:

-Sony MDR-EX500 & 700 (now it should be: EX510, 600 & 1000): Reasonably open soudstage

-Sony MDR-XB700 - open soundstage, not as open as the D2K's though

-Westone 2's - open

-Denon C710 & C751 - airy soundstage

-TFTA 1XB & 1V - airy soundstage

-Atrio MG7 - closed sound stage

-MTPG - open soundstage

-Sennheiseir IE7 & 8 /80 = Very wide soundstage

-PFE112 - reasonably open

 

Hope this helps a little

post #29 of 301
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

On the Staxen, the SR-009 isn't a Lambda; as far as I know it's just the SR-009 (it looks more similar to the Omega series though). An example of a Lambda would be the SR-Lambda, a modern headphone would be like the SR-507. I don't know much beyond that, or what any of them truly sound like though.

 

OK, I separated it.  I also don't know what they sound like - except for that they should sound expensive tongue.gif

 

I'd say we could also add the Sony MDR-SA5000 to the Sony camp and the Kenwood KH-K1000 to the closed section. 

 

Added.

 

On the "question" over whether or not the HD 600 should be up there - my HD 580s are "good" but probably the "worst" of my entire collection in terms of soundstaging (yes even against the Kenwood closed headphones); much better than lots else though. So I'd say "yes" for them, but maybe someone else has another opinion.

 

Ya, most people seem to say the the HD600 has the smallest soundstage of the HDxxx line.  Some people seem to think they are nice and scale up with a very nice amp.  I'll leave them up for now I guess...


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post

we can start with that:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/511850/awesome-binaural-albums


Ya, I agree that binaural recordings in general should do well at showcasing soundstage capability.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

So far for me:

-Sony MDR-EX500 & 700 (now it should be: EX510, 600 & 1000): Reasonably open soudstage

-Sony MDR-XB700 - open soundstage, not as open as the D2K's though

-Westone 2's - open

-Denon C710 & C751 - airy soundstage

-TFTA 1XB & 1V - airy soundstage

-Atrio MG7 - closed sound stage

-MTPG - open soundstage

-Sennheiseir IE7 & 8 /80 = Very wide soundstage

-PFE112 - reasonably open

 

Hope this helps a little

 

Thanks!  Could you maybe narrow that down to the best couple pairs which you think should be added?  I don't know any of those except the XB700....
 

 

post #30 of 301

Haha - "sound expensive" - I love it. 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Soundstage Head Club