1) Hard to judge how you interpret diminishing returns - for me, the price vs. sq of the 009 is identical to that of the 007 - the improvement is that great
2) There are no other headphones worth considering at this pricepoint (unless you want to risk it all on a pair of R10s, and enjoy their colorations). Stax JUST came out with the 009s within the year, they certainly have no flagships on the slate for years to come. They often have updates to their lambda series, but this is irrelevant since 1. they just updated them, and 2. the lambdas do not compete with the omegas
3) It is hard again to define end-game, since we all strive for better and better sound. However there is no other headphone that comes close to the 009, period. It is end-game for now. Any change in headphones would be a downgrade until something else is invented.
4) The Woo amplifiers can sound nice, and the GES is an excellent option at its pricepoint! The WES is not worth anywhere close to their asking price (and I owned serial #1). Perhaps if you are using Jades, HE90s, or Lamdas, the WES is worth something for coloring the sound, but for the 007 and 009, you really want the purity of a gilmore design.
5) Indeed, it is well known that electrostatic transducers have many benefits over dynamics in terms of sound quality - this was even known when Bell Labs first invented both types of systems back in the early 20th century
Originally Posted by Vicks7
Thanks again everyone - very helpful. This is a great forum- I wish Audiogon was more like this!
Some more questions for you experts when you have time:
1. A difficult question as I appreciate that it is always hard to quantify but bearing in mind the law of diminishing returns, how much better are the SR009's compared to the SR007s?
2. if I am willing to invest in a headphone of the price of an SR009, what other headphones should be considered in this price range? Are Stax planning any new models or to update existign models?
3. For those that are long term owners of the SR009s, have these proven to be an "end-game" headphone or do you still consider an upgrade in the future?
4. It seems opinion is divided on the Woo Audio Electrostatic amplifiers. Has anyone had the change to do a detailed comparison of the WES, GES and Gilmore BHSE. I understand there is a long lead time on the BHSE. I also understand that the KGSS/KGSSHV are no longer produced commercially.
5. Sphinxvc - is your view that even if similar amounts were invested into a non-electrostatic rig, it would still be inferior to well set up electrostatic rig. This suggests there are inherent limitations in all non-electrostatic headphone speaker designs.
Thanks again and great to be back with you guys on Headfi!