Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound) - Page 223

post #3331 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKing View Post

Is this all correct? Or is it the other around for the stereo mix settings and playback settings, from what I read on another forum (still wouldn't make sense though, as Dolby Headphone doesn't work as soon as I set the default playback device to Speaker).  I'm just trying to make sure I'm listening 100% to the dac and just using the Xonar as a DSP only.

 

Thanks.

 

the dac you are using is usb? The spdif passthrough device is a direct path to the optical transmitter, so no processing is being done. If you want the dsp, you have to listen to  Speakers - Asus Xonar DG.

post #3332 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
 

the dac you are using is usb? The spdif passthrough device is a direct path to the optical transmitter, so no processing is being done. If you want the dsp, you have to listen to  Speakers - Asus Xonar DG.

THe DAC I'm using is SPDIF. How is no processing being done if I hear Dolby Headphone being used? The playback device is set to Speakers - Xonar DG but the Stereo Mix is set to SPDIF passthrough. I thought that was the way to use my external DAC but still being able to use the XOnar DG as a dsp.

 

If I set the playback device to Speakers and I'm listening to Speakers - Asus XOnar DG as well, there's an echo effect and it's unlistenable. If I do the opposite of what I originally did, I can't use Dolby Headphone at all and can't use the soundcard as a dsp.

post #3333 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKing View Post
 

THe DAC I'm using is SPDIF. How is no processing being done if I hear Dolby Headphone being used? The playback device is set to Speakers - Xonar DG but the Stereo Mix is set to SPDIF passthrough. I thought that was the way to use my external DAC but still being able to use the XOnar DG as a dsp.

 

If I set the playback device to Speakers and I'm listening to Speakers - Asus XOnar DG as well, there's an echo effect and it's un-listenable. If I do the opposite of what I originally did, I can't use Dolby Headphone at all and can't use the soundcard as a dsp.

 

Why is the stereo mix enabled or even being used?

I really know zero about the Stereo mix stuff, but I'm assuming you have no need for it.

 

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DG?

 

In the playback tab, you do want the Speaker Xonar DG Audio device set as the default audio device.

But you do not want to use any pass-though enabled or used, as it would bypass all the Xonar DG's audio features, like Dolby headphone.

post #3334 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

Why is the stereo mix enabled or even being used?

I really know zero about the Stereo mix stuff, but I'm assuming you have no need for it.

 

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DG?

 

In the playback tab, you do want the Speaker Xonar DG Audio device set as the default audio device.

But you do not want to use any pass-though enabled or used, as it would bypass all the Xonar DG's audio features, like Dolby headphone.

 

Yes, and that's what I did. The Motherboard's on-board audio has been disabled since I received it. As far as why I'm enabling the stereo mix, this comes from reading posts in this thread. I was assuming stereo mix -> listen to this device: SPDIF Passthrough device would let me listen purely to the DAC when I'm not using Dolby headphone. I can listen to Dolby Headphone this way, but when no signal is present there is a faint sshhh sound that goes away as soon as an audio signal is present.

 

Before, all I did was use Speakers as the default device and didn't bother with the Stereo Mix but reading through this thread, I saw mentions and steps of enabling the Stereo Mix for multi-channel Dolby Headphone. So I'm trying to find that out from someone with experience with this.

 

Is setting up the Stereo Mix useless and just setting Speakers Xonar DG as default device is all that it takes to listen to my DAC with DSP settings from the soundcard? I'm inexperienced and just trying to make sure I listen to Dolby headphone through the DAC and not the Xonar DG's DAC. 

post #3335 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKing View Post
 

 

Yes, and that's what I did. The Motherboard's on-board audio has been disabled since I received it. As far as why I'm enabling the stereo mix, this comes from reading posts in this thread. I was assuming stereo mix -> listen to this device: SPDIF Passthrough device would let me listen purely to the DAC when I'm not using Dolby headphone. I can listen to Dolby Headphone this way, but when no signal is present there is a faint sshhh sound that goes away as soon as an audio signal is present.

 

Before, all I did was use Speakers as the default device and didn't bother with the Stereo Mix but reading through this thread, I saw mentions and steps of enabling the Stereo Mix for multi-channel Dolby Headphone. So I'm trying to find that out from someone with experience with this.

 

Is setting up the Stereo Mix useless and just setting Speakers Xonar DG as default device is all that it takes to listen to my DAC with DSP settings from the sound card? I'm inexperienced and just trying to make sure I listen to Dolby headphone through the DAC and not the Xonar DG's DAC. 

 

yes, you do want the Speaker Xonar DG as the default audio device, in the Playback tab.

Then you use the Xonar's control panel for choosing whether you want the DG to send audio out the line-outputs (back panel 3.5mm jacks) or the DG's S/PDIF optical output port.

 

It looks the "Stereo Mix" is for recording audio, not for playing back audio.

So I'm thinking you should leave it disabled.

post #3336 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

yes, you do want the Speaker Xonar DG as the default audio device, in the Playback tab.

Then you use the Xonar's control panel for choosing whether you want the DG to send audio out the line-outputs (back panel 3.5mm jacks) or the DG's S/PDIF optical output port.

 

It looks the "Stereo Mix" is for recording audio, not for playing back audio.

So I'm thinking you should leave it disabled.

 

Yeah, I was reading too much into it even if it didn't make much sense. I feel pretty dumb lol.

 

Thanks.

post #3337 of 3342
hi guys i have a creative zxr right now and use the surround option while gaming to 100 percent is that the best surround sound i can get for my headphones or is there a different option i heard creative zxr surround is done through software not hardware so is not as good as the older ones let me know thanks
post #3338 of 3342

You have  to find out which setting YOU like best. The default setting of 67% is a pretty good start or balanced option between more distinct, clear cues and more and more blending of them for a more "cinematic" experience (more home cinema). Towards 100% the cues blend into each other much more, the lesser the value the more distinct the cues until surround speakers are not noticably anymore which will lead to stereo (basically). 

 

I use 67%. 

post #3339 of 3342
ok thanks for that but also as i said i heard the creative zxr doesn't have hardware cmss 3d like the older ones is that to say the older cards like the titanium hd were better in this regard
post #3340 of 3342

Hello can I ask you guys something ?

 

 

I'm very interested in getting a dac/amp solution for my havi b3.

So far I'm in between the Asus Xonar DS, SMSL SD793-II, and Creative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX

 

 

The asus and creative card seem a little more promising for its EAX support in games for 3d audio while the

smsl dac/amp would indicate a higher quality amp. So now I'm a little stuck in deciding which is best.

 

 

Any thoughts you guys ?

post #3341 of 3342

Hi all, does have any thoughts or know of a good comparision between latest Realtek ACL1150 vs Sound Core3D (with the full range of SBX studio features) for someone wanting to buy a new Z97 motherboard and not able to fit a soundcard due to lack of space? It seems to me that there is limited choice anyway, most 'premium' motherboards integrate Realtek 1150, just a few Gigabyte and EVGA have the Sound Core3D for this chipset generation. Any other alternatives? (the Creative X7 thing is way too expensive)

post #3342 of 3342

Which motherboard do you have right now? because your board may support X-FI MB3 software suite which does give SBX and features to your onboard. Another option you have is to get a Sound blaster omni which is usb and does have the SBX functions. Usually can be found cheap on amazon or ebay around 45-55ish if you are in the usa.


Edited by genclaymore - Today at 6:49 am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)