Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound) - Page 211

post #3151 of 3161
Hello all. I have been reading much of this thread for a while now and have a headache. I'm completely new to this and there is too much information, terms I do not comprehend and variable dependancies. I'm hoping to post a bit of information of what I want to do and get a fairly simply explained solution. Like what combination of equipment would do what I want.

So. Let's say I get the Fidelio X2. What pairs well with it?
I want Dolby Surround.
I'd like this to sound good for music too. (Country and classic rock (e.g phill collins))
Will having a soundcard negate the need for an amp or DAC to any extent?
I want to have an Xbox1 as well, so maybe I'd best have those...
I want to be able to talk through a modmic on PC and console.
I want to run Linux. Probably Mint.
post #3152 of 3161
I had the x1 paired with my creative labs recon3d and it paired really well. The good thing about the recon3d usb is that i can use it with a ps3 or ps4 and also with my PC. Mic is a vmoda boom bro and everything works right...problem is recon3d usb is discontinued, so the next best thing would be the creative x7 but to pricey. Also, you dont really need amping with the x1 or x2, used it without an amp and sound great
post #3153 of 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyae86 View Post

I had the x1 paired with my creative labs recon3d and it paired really well. The good thing about the recon3d usb is that i can use it with a ps3 or ps4 and also with my PC. Mic is a vmoda boom bro and everything works right...problem is recon3d usb is discontinued, so the next best thing would be the creative x7 but to pricey. Also, you dont really need amping with the x1 or x2, used it without an amp and sound great

I don't understand how everything hooks up to your console. I wish I could see pictures. What about Xbox? What are the differences between that and a card you plug into a PCI slot? What about a DAC?
post #3154 of 3161
The recon3d connects to a console via optical while the usb is for chat capabilities. The recon3d is also compatible with the xbox...if you need pictures or more info.....google is your friend lol. Im on my phone right now...if i was near my computer i would post more links.

Plus differences...mmm im also not an expert between comparisons on pci cards and usb...someone else might need to answer that
post #3155 of 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyae86 View Post

The recon3d connects to a console via optical while the usb is for chat capabilities. The recon3d is also compatible with the xbox...if you need pictures or more info.....google is your friend lol. Im on my phone right now...if i was near my computer i would post more links.

Plus differences...mmm im also not an expert between comparisons on pci cards and usb...someone else might need to answer that

Well you've been extremely helpful. I was looking at the x7 though... As expensive as it is I wonder if it might just do everything I want it to and do it well. But I don't even know exactly what I do and don't need yet so I wouldn't want to foolishly drop cash on that.

Reading some reviews though I don't think the Recon is for me.

EDIT: After a break followed by some further reading and you're few simple explanations and pieces of advice I believe a lot of things fell together for me.

I think I'll go with the X2 a good sound card for my PC and a mixamp for console. As far as I can tell a good sound card will be an ideal DAC/Amp for my PC so I can listen to music or use Dolby for games. And the mixamp will be best for consoles. Does it work for PS4?
Edited by ShadowSkulkerer - 10/18/14 at 10:39am
post #3156 of 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSkulkerer View Post


Well you've been extremely helpful. I was looking at the x7 though... As expensive as it is I wonder if it might just do everything I want it to and do it well. But I don't even know exactly what I do and don't need yet so I wouldn't want to foolishly drop cash on that.

Reading some reviews though I don't think the Recon is for me.

EDIT: After a break followed by some further reading and you're few simple explanations and pieces of advice I believe a lot of things fell together for me.

I think I'll go with the X2 a good sound card for my PC and a mixamp for console. As far as I can tell a good sound card will be an ideal DAC/Amp for my PC so I can listen to music or use Dolby for games. And the mixamp will be best for consoles. Does it work for PS4?

Well, I think for now, getting a soundcard for your PC and a mixamp for consoles, may be the better choice. The only reason I got the recon3d is because it was cheaper and I can use it for both PC and console. Plus alot of people prefer THX Surround sound or SBX for gaming compared to dolby headphone. X7 might be the jack of all trades......at least for now until new technology comes along and replaces it....especially since Dolby Headphone X or DTS Headphone X (cant remember which one is its true name) has been out for a few weeks and some people are liking it, although its new tech and we wont see it mature anytime soon....maybe in about 2 years, that tech would have been improved alot.

if you are planning to get a soundcard for your PC, alot of peeps are recommending the creative labs Z, which is said to be on par with a modi's sound quality. Im thinking of buying one for my PC as well and keep the recon3d for my ps3/ps4. I will also be purchasing the X2, since i sold my x1 2 weeks ago....but Ill probobly buy either a Q701 or K712 for gaming....currently using sennheiser PC350 Special Editions for now. Might start using my MA900 since i have not touch them for like 7 months lol.

post #3157 of 3161

I just got my Sound Blaster Z today and have been putting it through its paces in Bioshock 2. Before the SBZ I was getting my surround kicks via Razer Surround feeding an Aune T1>FiiO E9>AKG Q701. The surround effect was much better than I expected, although it sounded a little closed in as far as positional accuracy was concerned. Once I got my SBZ hooked up going through the same path; Aune T1>FiiO E9>AKG Q701. I found that 100% SBX Prostudio sounded the most spacious and accurate, but all in all it was about on par with Razer Surround. Neither one, in terms of positional accuracy and surround since they're both using the same DAC/amp chain as output, sounded better than the other. I was disappointed that the performance of the SBZ, which paid money for, wasn't any better than the my free software based Razer Surround.

 

Then I decided to go crazy. Now my chain is Razer Surround>Sound Blaster Z>Aune T1>FiiO E9>AKG Q701. We've all heard about double amping, but what about double DSPing? Sound stage is HUGE now and positional cues are way more accurate. I have a day off tomorrow so I'll keep playing with it to see if there are any glitches or crashes, but initial impressions are incredible.

post #3158 of 3161

Why do you use the Fiio E9, if the Aune is both an amp and a dac?

post #3159 of 3161

I don't like the Aune's amp. It's sounds weak and lacks dynamics especially with the Q701. Running the T1 into a cMoy sounds better than its internal amp.

post #3160 of 3161

Do you have the first or the second generation T1?

post #3161 of 3161

First.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)