Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound) - Page 194

post #2896 of 2904

Okay, my search-fu has failed me.  You guys are my best hope!

 

I got my Modi and SYS tonight.  I setup the SYS to switch between the Modi and the RCA out from the SB Omni.  This lets me A/B to hear the differences.  I figured out how to make the SPDIF Out the default device in Windows so that my Winamp and games and such output to it.  So far so good.

 

So my issue is that when I'm using the SPDIF output from the sound card, the SBX Studio stuff (including virtual surround) doesn't do anything.  If I swap the default back to the Speaker Out (RCA), the SBX stuff works fine. 

 

Now I know there's supposed to be a way to get this working and I feel like there's something obvious I'm missing.  Can someone help?

 

BTW, really enjoying the Modi for music.  :k701smile:

post #2897 of 2904

You have to enable Send stereo to optical from the Z control panel so it will send the card features and stuff out of the optical. it should be the last thing in the control panel

post #2898 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore View Post
 

You have to enable Send stereo to optical from the Z control panel so it will send the card features and stuff out of the optical. it should be the last thing in the control panel

 

I don't see that option on the Omni control panel.  Sounds like I'm missing something really simple like that, I just can't find it...

 

EDIT - When I go to "Audio Device Selection" in the Omni control panel, it only shows "speakers" as an option.  It doesn't even let me select SPDIF.

 

EDIT2 - Oh jeez, I think I'm using an outdated version of the control panel.  Newest version has this handy dandy feature:  "~Added support for SBX effects and Scout Mode to audio output from S/PDIF-out"


Edited by Stillhart - Yesterday at 10:16 pm
post #2899 of 2904

Well ****balls, that did it.  Now I just need to make sure I have everything else setup correctly.

 

Windows is set to use SPDIF as the default device (which doesn't let me select my speaker setup).

 

Omni Control Panel is set to surround off.  I'll turn this on when I game?

 

Omni Control Panel is set to Headphones.  I set it to 5.1 also and I honestly don't hear a difference for playing music so I'm not sure what the proper setting for this.

 

Sound about right?

post #2900 of 2904

Yes that is correct, I don't know which player you use for music but if it's foobar or winamp, you can use asio/wasapi plugins that will bypass the windows mixer and play back the music without the dsp effects of the sound card. That way you don't have to disable the sound card settings or reneable them all the time.. It what I do with the DGX that I have.

post #2901 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore View Post

Yes that is correct, I don't know which player you use for music but if it's foobar or winamp, you can use asio/wasapi plugins that will bypass the windows mixer and play back the music without the dsp effects of the sound card. That way you don't have to disable the sound card settings or reneable them all the time.. It what I do with the DGX that I have.
Ooooh I get it now. I was wondering why people used those plugins. Thanks.

So to confirm, I want the omni set to headphone, right?
post #2902 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post


Ooooh I get it now. I was wondering why people used those plugins. Thanks.

So to confirm, I want the omni set to headphone, right?

yea

post #2903 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore View Post
 

yea

Sweet, thanks for the help!  Now I'll be able to pass the help along for the next noob to get one of these.  (I'm looking at you, @Evshrug!)

post #2904 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post

Ooooh I get it now. I was wondering why people used those plugins. Thanks.

So to confirm, I want the omni set to headphone, right?
Just FYI, the surround processing is different for Speakers/RCA than headphones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post

Sweet, thanks for the help!  Now I'll be able to pass the help along for the next noob to get one of these.  (I'm looking at you, @Evshrug
!)
*gulp*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)