or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound) - Page 166

post #2476 of 3714
Still waiting to see what sort of improvements the HE400i will make over the HE400. If they can get the upper mids raised and treble reduced... that's gonna be one HELL of a headphone to beat. Bass and most of it's mids were perfect.


Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/15/14 at 9:42pm
post #2477 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Still waiting to see what sort of improvements the HE400i will make over the HE400.

 

Hmm.

 

Apart from that wide "cyberman" headband frame, it looks a bit nicer than the old HE400.  More smooth rounded edges and a nicer finish.  Parts of the HE400 looked like a DIY headphone that someone built in their garage.


Edited by chicolom - 1/15/14 at 9:52pm
post #2478 of 3714
As someone who JUST finished Season 2 of Doctor Who, the Cybermen reference is very fresh to me. biggrin.gif

And I agree on the whole DiY look of the older HFM lineup. I thought most of it was exquisite, with the exception of the large circular thing that had the Hifiman branding. It just stuck out and was an eyesore to me.

I didn't love the HE-400's color, and preferred the HE-4's sleek black finish, which was like the HE-6s.



The cups themselves look like the old ones, but the headband assembly looks like an improvement, though it doesn't sit flush on the head, so it won't be as pretty worn.

Glad they went back to black.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/15/14 at 10:01pm
post #2479 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post

@ATlien3000 > the only headset I would ever consider is the Sennheiser PC360. I've heard one: great for sound positioning. It's basically a 595 (or 598??) that you can get for much cheaper, however the utility of a boom mic cannot be underestimated.

 

Asus "Sonic Radar" overlay. I'd heard about it (it's only available for the Phoebus and the ROG SupremeFX mobos), but I had a look on Youtube. I thought this may have been a big cheat, but er lol...

 

 

Halfway through our intrepid author shows off footstep detection etc.

 

I'd also throw in the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 into the "headsets that don't suck" list...but there's no way I'd pay the usual $275-300 for one, either. If they were more regularly sold around $165 like the PC360, the decision would be a lot tougher.

 

Also, it's sort of relieving that someone tested out Sonic Radar so I don't have to. (Don't want to risk Realtek drivers somehow screwing things up with my X-Fi.) As expected, when all it has to go by are 7.1 speaker positions, it doesn't really work out all that spectacularly to warrant giving up a good headphone surround mix, and on that note, I'm rather baffled by Asus' decision to NOT license Dolby Headphone or X-Fi MB3/SBX Pro Surround for their current motherboard lineup with that "SupremeFX" branding.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post
Still waiting to see what sort of improvements the HE400i will make over the HE400. If they can get the upper mids raised and treble reduced... that's gonna be one HELL of a headphone to beat. Bass and most of it's mids were perfect.

 

Now I have to question where the midrange really lies relative to vocals, because...well, the HE-400 didn't really do it for me there. At all. Far from perfect. Same problems the SR-202 + SRM-212 had.

 

My ideal would be the SR-Lambda, but you haven't had the chance to listen to one of those, and I haven't had the chance to listen to the ESP/950 (let alone off a good Stax amp, which supposedly changes the sound presentation quite noticeably for the better over the stock E/90), so it's hard for us to come up with a common ground on what's ideal.

post #2480 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Still waiting to see what sort of improvements the HE400i will make over the HE400. If they can get the upper mids raised and treble reduced... that's gonna be one HELL of a headphone to beat. Bass and most of it's mids were perfect.

Just sold my HE-400 because I couldn't deal with all of the issues anymore and that experience pretty much turned me off from wanting to purchase the HE-500 as well. I'm hoping the HE-560 is the answer I'm looking for with the terribly flawed HE-400.

post #2481 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

I'd also throw in the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 into the "headsets that don't suck" list...but there's no way I'd pay the usual $275-300 for one, either. If they were more regularly sold around $165 like the PC360, the decision would be a lot tougher.

Also, it's sort of relieving that someone tested out Sonic Radar so I don't have to. (Don't want to risk Realtek drivers somehow screwing things up with my X-Fi.) As expected, when all it has to go by are 7.1 speaker positions, it doesn't really work out all that spectacularly to warrant giving up a good headphone surround mix, and on that note, I'm rather baffled by Asus' decision to NOT license Dolby Headphone or X-Fi MB3/SBX Pro Surround for their current motherboard lineup with that "SupremeFX" branding.


Now I have to question where the midrange really lies relative to vocals, because...well, the HE-400 didn't really do it for me there. At all. Far from perfect. Same problems the SR-202 + SRM-212 had.

My ideal would be the SR-Lambda, but you haven't had the chance to listen to one of those, and I haven't had the chance to listen to the ESP/950 (let alone off a good Stax amp, which supposedly changes the sound presentation quite noticeably for the better over the stock E/90), so it's hard for us to come up with a common ground on what's ideal.

Nameless, that's because the HE-400 has a huge upper midrange suck out. That was what I'm talking about. However, it's lower mids were absolutely perfect and basically a straight line from the beginning of bass all the way to it's mids, where it starts dipping a bit too much going to it's upper mids. This, in turn with the sudden, HUMONGOUS spike in treble basically just made the HE-400's upper range sound a bit messy up top.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/16/14 at 1:07pm
post #2482 of 3714
Thread Starter 
So you're saying the upper midrange is where the vocals tend to lie? I'll make note of that when reading headphone reviews later.
post #2483 of 3714
http://mikfielding.com/EQ_Sound_Frequencies.shtml

IIRC, the HE400 starts dipping right after 4khz. It's basically smothering up all the clarity in vocals if you compare it to the Stax method of leaving these areas quite upfront. However, the lower to middle range is perfectly intact. Male vocals are absolutely stellar on the HE400 most of the time. Female vocals do tend to creep up to the upper mids much more than male vocals.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/16/14 at 8:16pm
post #2484 of 3714

Yeah, I only liked HE-400 for it's bass presentation, mids and highs were lacking. Mids are so much better on the HE-500 which is a overall better headphone to me. The problem of the Hifiman headphones is  the DIY look for the price. That's why the HE-6 never found its way to me.

 

I want a planar again for their unique presentation (tactile bass, beautiful mids) but I won't be buying a headphone on day one again, especially no Hifiman.

 

Gaming-wise they never did it for me, soundstage and the "creation" of the space was always subpar for me with LCD-2, HE-500/400. I remember comparing the T90 to the HE-500. HE-500 with T90 soundstage/imaging (just to stay in the similar price range)? Hell yeah man. That would be absolutely lovely. 


Edited by Fegefeuer - 1/17/14 at 6:39am
post #2485 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post

Yeah, I only liked HE-400 for it's bass presentation, mids and highs were lacking. Mids are so much better on the HE-500 which is a overall better headphone to me. The problem of the Hifiman headphones is  the DIY look for the price. That's why the HE-6 never found its way to me.

I want a planar again for their unique presentation (tactile bass, beautiful mids) but I won't be buying a headphone on day one again, especially no Hifiman.

Gaming-wise they never did it for me, soundstage and the "creation" of the space was always subpar for me with LCD-2, HE-500/400. I remember comparing the T90 to the HE-500. HE-500 with T90 soundstage/imaging (just to stay in the similar price range)? Hell yeah man. That would be absolutely lovely. 

I'll have to agree with you here. These seem to get more acclaim than they deserve, particularly in the gaming headphone thread. The bass is their only redeeming quality. Not the mids, definitely not the treble, not the detail or soundstage, not the build quality, and most definitely not the weight or comfort. I just got rid of my pair this week, but I'm cautiously optimistic for the HE-560.
Edited by roguegeek - 1/17/14 at 8:48am
post #2486 of 3714
So it seems the general consensus is stay away from the HE-400/500's for gaming at least.

Was actually thinking about these instead of the k712s... Well that's a big nope nope nope now.
post #2487 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJINFERNO806 View Post

So it seems the general consensus is stay away from the HE-400/500's for gaming at least.

Was actually thinking about these instead of the k712s... Well that's a big nope nope nope now.

 

 

I wouldn't necessarily say "stay away" from them, but there are better choices for gaming as they get beat by several of the mid-fi dynamics in soundstaging.

post #2488 of 3714
The HE-400s are all rounders for gaming, with arguably the best bass in their price range. All rounders do not tend to beat others that are more specialized in specific categories. However, as far as headphones that cater to many things at once, the HE-400 is an easy recommendation for all around purpose, with those caveats that it has.

besides, the LCD2 and HE-400 i was specifically clear in what they do wrong. Anyways, the LCD2 is a music headphone first. gaming comes secondary. For music, they are absolutely DIVINE.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/17/14 at 11:14am
post #2489 of 3714
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post
 

Asus' decision to NOT license Dolby Headphone or X-Fi MB3/SBX Pro Surround for their current motherboard lineup with that "SupremeFX" branding.

 

I've not really heard much talk about Dolby Home Theatre v4 - basically it' appears to be Dolby Headphone (using the surround virtualizer) with granular controls: ie you can EQ it. This must be an improvement over the old DH 1, 2 or 3 presets. Anybody here had a chance to use it?

 

http://workarea-www.dolby.com/in/en/consumer/technology/pc/dolby-home-theater-v4.html

 

post #2490 of 3714
I've left the PC gaming scene quite a few years back when I decided to give up the constant upgrading cycles and just bought an xbox 360. This Christmas, I got a laptop that plays a decent amount of games at a decent quality and performance. Tie that in with the steam sale and now I'm loaded with games for pretty cheap. So far I've only been amping the HP jack so I can use my dt880/600s (Not ideal).

So here is my issue. I have a few usb dacs to play with. I thought my onboard soundcard was a Realtek so I would do the little usb output trick but now I don't think I can because my sound card is actually an IDT. There's very little mentions of this company on this thread and the advice found was to just get a ext usb sound card so I can output to an optical dac. Is that my only option? There's no software middlemen I can use? Trying to keep my chain short since I have limited desk space. Any suggestions would be great help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)