or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound) - Page 165

post #2461 of 3716

Yeah, post up a new thread and I'm sure a few of us will sub to help out. I certainly will.

 

Gawd that pic looks sexy. My old case (and I want it replaced by THAT case you have, or maybe any of the other Corsairs) has the PSU at the top.... always was a silly place to put it. These new boxes have the ability to route the cables behind the mobo to make it all clean n tidy. Having side facing HD bays is a must have...... me reaches for wallet.

 

Happy you went with the Asus.. if at the very least you're a bit queezy about overclocking, then the Asus AI suite truly is a breeze. It eats up a bit more system resources, but so what these days? I use it now and I've been OC'ing PC's for over 15 years/ 20+ PC's built. The experts may sniff, but this is 2014.

 

Think you'll like the SBZ. The best thing, at least for me, is that surround doesn't compromise the SQ that much. Quite often I think I'm listening to stereo in Windows and I've gone and forgot to turn off surround. I'd have never made that mistake with DH. Mileage varies though......

 

**** Edit .. goddam it DJ.. I went and put my SBZ into my spare x16 slot, not the dedicated one next to my CPU..ggrrrr ****


Edited by SaLX - 1/14/14 at 8:21pm
post #2462 of 3716
Sounds like I will like my Z and enjoy the SBX smily_headphones1.gif

Was reading what DJ said, I'm going to be running sli 770s soon therefore I cannot put my Z above my cards, will this make a huge difference in EMI(think that's what it's called) or SQ? Won't have tons if room when I get both cards in there.
post #2463 of 3716

Well I got a SBZ (replaced the OEM non-shielded).. both had zero background noise in an overclocked case (both GPU and CPU). I've got good components though, inc a Corsair (rebadged Seasonic) PSU.

post #2464 of 3716
Are astro a40s and Miami worth $180 or should I buy a headphone for that price? I'm looking to spend up to $200.
post #2465 of 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woesty420 View Post

Sounds like I will like my Z and enjoy the SBX smily_headphones1.gif

Was reading what DJ said, I'm going to be running sli 770s soon therefore I cannot put my Z above my cards, will this make a huge difference in EMI(think that's what it's called) or SQ? Won't have tons if room when I get both cards in there.

I don't know how much difference it would make in EMI to you. I know I had issues with that years ago. Placed it on top and it stopped whining and weird cap/vrm noise when I'd game. You have a 1x slot on top of the video card right? Use that one. Its gonna be empty anyway isn't it?

Anyway I really think we should move this to a separate thread just out of respect.
post #2466 of 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

A bit of both on the screen.  It's a 40" screen and the desk is 33.5" wide and 23.5" long.

As for the keyboard, I prefer using game-pad, so no.  ;)

 

Should I plug the "HD Audio" front headers into the motherboard or the SB Z.  Looks like it will reach either one.  Seems like the SB Z would be more logical (of course I won't be using the front panel audio much anyways).

 

I put the GPU in the top PCI-E x16, and for the SB Z I put it in bottom-most PCI-E slot.  I think that's the best way to do it, so the GPU has more room for airflow.  Otherwise I have to jump up the SB Z to either right below or above the GPU.

 

The Z87-A's layout looks like this.

 

Here's how I have it: (Click to show)
 

 

Ahh, that's why it looks so big.  I've got a 27" Dell monitor on a 48" wide desk and it looks a lot smaller relative to the desk.  If you were going to game with that particular keyboard I was going to suggest some better mechanical alternatives.  

 

Yeah, plug the front headers into the SBZ if it will reach since you will be disabling the onboard sound.

 

Your current card layout is fine, for both heat and EMI.  The back of the video card pumps out lots of heat so it's not the ideal place to put any card if you can avoid it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJINFERNO806 View Post

Also if I remember correctly, using another 16x slot automatically puts your primary x16 slot into 8x mode. It shouldn't be a huge issue with pcie 3.0 speeds but you may lose 1-2 fps with less bandwidth. Maybe not, depending on how much the 770 is putting out. Its more of a principle thing.
 

 

That varies depending on the chipset and slot layout.  I checked the manual for the Z87-A and PCIEX16_1 only goes into 8x mode if another card is in PCIEX16_2.  His SBZ is in slot PCIEX16_3 so his video card slot stays in 16x mode.

post #2467 of 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroArrow View Post

Ahh, that's why it looks so big.  I've got a 27" Dell monitor on a 48" wide desk and it looks a lot smaller relative to the desk.  If you were going to game with that particular keyboard I was going to suggest some better mechanical alternatives.  

Yeah, plug the front headers into the SBZ if it will reach since you will be disabling the onboard sound.

Your current card layout is fine, for both heat and EMI.  The back of the video card pumps out lots of heat so it's not the ideal place to put any card if you can avoid it.


That varies depending on the chipset and slot layout.  I checked the manual for the Z87-A and PCIEX16_1 only goes into 8x mode if another card is in PCIEX16_2.  His SBZ is in slot PCIEX16_3 so his video card slot stays in 16x mode.

Ya I checked the specs afterwards and the 3rd slot is actually only wired for 2x so its probably run off the pch like the other 1x slots. Lol too quick on the gun there.

The other reason why I'd recommend him moving it is he said he's gonna go sli which means the z will somewhat block the other 770 fan. With the z in the first 1x slot, its ideal for his GPU and heat coming off the back of the 770 PCB is not as bad as you make it seem. Its warm to the touch however with positive case pressure, that's not an issue. I've run that config for years with no issues.

But seriously we should move this discussion to another thread. Its getting too off topic.

@ATlien3000

That's big negative on a headset.

Your money is better spent on headphones. I'm assuming u mean the mixamp? Not Miami lol

What do you need it for? Console gaming?

Go here to get headphone recommendations.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-9-2014-shure-srh1840-added
Edited by DJINFERNO806 - 1/14/14 at 9:28pm
post #2468 of 3716
Haha yeah mixamp autocorrected to Miami. I need it mainly for PC gaming with some PS4 and music. All genres. I'll listen to everything from hip hop to classical and jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJINFERNO806 View Post

Ya I checked the specs afterwards and the 3rd slot is actually only wired for 2x so its probably run off the pch like the other 1x slots. Lol too quick on the gun there.

The other reason why I'd recommend him moving it is he said he's gonna go sli which means the z will somewhat block the other 770 fan. With the z in the first 1x slot, its ideal for his GPU and heat coming off the back of the 770 PCB is not as bad as you make it seem. Its warm to the touch however with positive case pressure, that's not an issue. I've run that config for years with no issues.

But seriously we should move this discussion to another thread. Its getting too off topic.

@ATlien3000

That's big negative on a headset.

Your money is better spent on headphones. I'm assuming u mean the mixamp? Not Miami lol

What do you need it for? Console gaming?

Go here to get headphone recommendations.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-9-2014-shure-srh1840-added
post #2469 of 3716

@ATlien3000 > the only headset I would ever consider is the Sennheiser PC360. I've heard one: great for sound positioning. It's basically a 595 (or 598??) that you can get for much cheaper, however the utility of a boom mic cannot be underestimated.

 

Asus "Sonic Radar" overlay. I'd heard about it (it's only available for the Phoebus and the ROG SupremeFX mobos), but I had a look on Youtube. I thought this may have been a big cheat, but er lol...

 

 

Halfway through our intrepid author shows off footstep detection etc.


Edited by SaLX - 1/15/14 at 12:18pm
post #2470 of 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

Asus "Sonic Radar" overlay. I'd heard about (it's only available for the Phoebus and the ROG SupremeFX mobos), but I had a look on Youtube. I thought this may have been a big cheat, but er lol...

 

Halfway through our intrepid author shows off footstep detection etc.

 

 

Hmm...seems kind of obvious and not that helpful.  I think If your audio is bad enough that THAT is a big help, you've got some audio issues to sort out (like - are you playing in MONO? :p)

post #2471 of 3716

I've thread-jacked enough :ph34r:.

 

Here's another thread to continue the off-topic build-help discussion:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/700485/chicoloms-off-topic-pc-build-discussion


 

If anyone who's been helping me here wants to pop over and subscribe, that would be awesome.  And thanks again everyone for being so helpful!


Edited by chicolom - 1/15/14 at 12:28pm
post #2472 of 3716
Chico, got rid of your K712? eek.gif
post #2473 of 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Chico, got rid of your K712? eek.gif

 

Yeah, a while ago.  :p

 

Not because I don't like it obviously (it's probably the best mid-fi can I've heard), but simply so I could fund either the K812 or HD800.  The K812 was supposed to come out mid-November, but it got delayed two months (it's just now coming out in January).  So I got tired of waiting and spent those funds on a new PC in the meantime.

 

So now I have to hold off on a headphone upgrade.  I'm just rolling with the X1 now (and KSCs of course), but I still plan on upgrading to probably the K812, whenever my funds replenish (could be a while though). 


Edited by chicolom - 1/15/14 at 9:23pm
post #2474 of 3716
or an HE560... LOLAMRITE
post #2475 of 3716

No doubt.  :floatsmile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)