Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound) - Page 112

post #1666 of 3093
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavMalheur View Post

I have a few questions - 

Recently I have purchased Annies, which will primarily used with my computer (gaming first and foremost and then music/anime/movies) and maybe possibly for console use down the track.

After reading through majority thread I have become a little confused.

Currently from what I understand I need to purchase a sound card/ external equivalent to produce virtual surround sound and also amp. 

I was planning to purchase o2/odac combination and a Asus Xonar Essence STX for Dolby Headphone. My main problem is how to connect these all together and whether I should consider another option to output the virtual surround sound to the headphones. 

If you already have an Essence STX installed in your PC, can't see any reason to get the O2/ODAC.

Something like an Astro Mix-amp would be useful for connecting headphones to a gaming console.

post #1667 of 3093

With your setup, Mad lust envy, you could plug both a gaming pc rig, AND a PS3?

I want to do that with my system, since my PS3 and my gaming pc are so near, an external sound card that could handle surround (like the astroogaming that I have), and go out to my burson HA160 so I can still use my HD650... wonder if that's possible.
 

post #1668 of 3093
For PC, I use the Xonar U3. For PS3, I use the Mixamp. Unless your amp has multiple analog inputs, you probably would have tk get an RCA switcher or constantly unplug cables when using the PS3 or PC. I dont have that problem, as the X1 sounds fine off the Mixamp alone, and I leave the U3 permanently attached to my audiophile dac/amp.
post #1669 of 3093

My amp, the burson soloist, do have 3 input... One is used with the burson DA160 for music.

that could mean... PC->U3->fiio D03K or U7-> analog to Soloist, and PS3-> astrogaming-> 3.3mm jac -> 2rca -> soloist...that sound crazy, but..workable to get surround sound for all the sources?
 

post #1670 of 3093

Hey, Nameless (and anybody else who has dealt with a Titanium HD), I know you've sort of mentioned it before, but do you know if using the full 24-bit/96kHz sampling rate on the Titanium HD causes serious issues with CMSS-3D? I just tried switching to 96kHz recently and noticed the soundstage suddenly compressed, at least horizontally and possibly the rear depth. Switching back to the default 48kHz setting opened the soundstage up again. That kind of sucks if it really doesn't work with both the higher sampling rate and CMSS-3D, because 96kHz seems to help smooth out the sound of my DT880.

post #1671 of 3093
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillweed View Post

Hey, Nameless (and anybody else who has dealt with a Titanium HD), I know you've sort of mentioned it before, but do you know if using the full 24-bit/96kHz sampling rate on the Titanium HD causes serious issues with CMSS-3D? I just tried switching to 96kHz recently and noticed the soundstage suddenly compressed, at least horizontally and possibly the rear depth. Switching back to the default 48kHz setting opened the soundstage up again. That kind of sucks if it really doesn't work with both the higher sampling rate and CMSS-3D, because 96kHz seems to help smooth out the sound of my DT880.

 

I've been running on 24/96 KHz recently, and notice no issues with my games because of that.

 

I used to run 24/48 KHz in case of issues, but started experimenting again recently and found that the higher sampling rate doesn't seem to be a problem, at least for me.

post #1672 of 3093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillweed View Post

Hey, Nameless (and anybody else who has dealt with a Titanium HD), I know you've sort of mentioned it before, but do you know if using the full 24-bit/96kHz sampling rate on the Titanium HD causes serious issues with CMSS-3D? I just tried switching to 96kHz recently and noticed the soundstage suddenly compressed, at least horizontally and possibly the rear depth. Switching back to the default 48kHz setting opened the sound stage up again. That kind of sucks if it really doesn't work with both the higher sampling rate and CMSS-3D, because 96kHz seems to help smooth out the sound of my DT880.

Have you updated the Titanium HD's software?

Maybe even try do a fresh install of the Titanium HD software?

 

Dumb question.

Is the on-board audio "Disabled" in the BIOS?

post #1673 of 3093

Yeah, I make sure to disable the onboard sound when I do any BIOS updates or CMOS resets. I haven't tried cleaning out and reinstalling the drivers, though, or maybe going back to an older revision. I just reinstalled Windows a few months ago and installed the newest driver from November, so maybe going back to a previous driver would help.

 

Edit: Okay, actually, I may be wrong. There doesn't seem to be a problem within the Creative tests, but the Windows speaker configuration speaker placement sounds different for whatever reason.

 

Also, screwing around with all of this made me examine my setup more critically and discover that I need to get some new headphones that provide a lot better depth and imaging, and that sound closer to a "neutral" than the DT880's slightly bright sound. Anybody know of some possible options? Or should I go make a "recommendation" thread/ask in MLE's thread for that?


Edited by Dillweed - 7/5/13 at 10:59am
post #1674 of 3093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillweed View Post

Yeah, I make sure to disable the onboard sound when I do any BIOS updates or CMOS resets. I haven't tried cleaning out and reinstalling the drivers, though, or maybe going back to an older revision. I just reinstalled Windows a few months ago and installed the newest driver from November, so maybe going back to a previous driver would help.

Edit: Okay, actually, I may be wrong. There doesn't seem to be a problem within the Creative tests, but the Windows speaker configuration speaker placement sounds different for whatever reason.

Also, screwing around with all of this made me examine my setup more critically and discover that I need to get some new headphones that provide a lot better depth and imaging, and that sound closer to a "neutral" than the DT880's slightly bright sound. Anybody know of some possible options? Or should I go make a "recommendation" thread/ask in MLE's thread for that?

Hopefully your plugging the DT880s into an external headphone amplifier and the external headphone amplifier into the Titanium HD's RCA jacks?

post #1675 of 3093

Yeah, [Titanium HD RCAs>Lovely Cube>DT880]. They've been amped that way since around the second month I had them. I've swapped out various op amps multiple times to try to change the sound, but I guess I've finally gotten a little tired of trying to correct them since I can't really get the positional sound depth I'd prefer out of them, and the mids tend to sound a little too pushed back or hollow to me.

post #1676 of 3093

I just recently got a Titanium HD.  I installed it and tested out the 3d positional effects, and they seem decent enough.

 

However, I can now hear a series of beeps when I move my mouse.  I assume it is some sort of interference, but I cannot seem to figure out how to get rid of it.  

 

Is this a known issue with Titanium HD cards?  Anyone know of some steps I could take to troubleshoot it?

post #1677 of 3093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goride View Post

I just recently got a Titanium HD.  I installed it and tested out the 3d positional effects, and they seem decent enough.

However, I can now hear a series of beeps when I move my mouse.  I assume it is some sort of interference, but I cannot seem to figure out how to get rid of it.  

Is this a known issue with Titanium HD cards?  Anyone know of some steps I could take to troubleshoot it?

Dumb question time.

You have in the BIOS, "disabled" the motherboard's built in audio.

post #1678 of 3093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Dumb question time.

You have in the BIOS, "disabled" the motherboard's built in audio.

 

 

Yes I have the onboard disabled in bios.  I also have it disabled within windows as well.  Only the Titanium HD is enabled to handle any sound.

 

Any other ideas?

post #1679 of 3093

Is the  Titanium card pushed all the way home in its slot? if so you say you get bleeps when using the mouse  try changing the usb socket and if socket is external to the PC then change the connecting usb cable . I had a faulty external usb cable and when moved it bleeped. when connected to the mouse. I too have titanium hd x-fi card.

post #1680 of 3093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goride View Post

I just recently got a Titanium HD.  I installed it and tested out the 3d positional effects, and they seem decent enough.

 

However, I can now hear a series of beeps when I move my mouse.  I assume it is some sort of interference, but I cannot seem to figure out how to get rid of it. 

 

Are you using an external amplifier, or the front panel headphone jack on the PC ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)