Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound) - Page 88

post #1306 of 3042

You should be able to hear all 5.1 channels through stereo headphones without CMSS active?

 

Good; at least it's normal, then. Thanks!
 

post #1307 of 3042

Late to this reply, but in case you haven't done anything yet;  I have AD700s with a ModMic.  It's a great setup.  I also have the Schiit Magni that was recommended further down the thread. It is also terrific.  However, there is absolutely zero benefit to using it with the AD700s.  I have the Magni for my HD650s and Q701s.  The AD700 is a low impedance / very high sensitivity headphone that can be driven well by any source (amp-wise).  You would just be wasting your money.  If you've got a hundred dollars burning a hole in your pocket, sell the AD700s, don't get the Magni, and get the new AD900X for a few dollars more than the net.
 

post #1308 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskaz View Post


I'm not sure if there's any soundcard on the market right now with HDMI. It seems as though they've gone by the wayside. I'm in a similar boat- the PC is far away from my TV and in a closet and I want simulated surround sound on my Headphones (mainly for movies, not games).

What do you currently have your headphones connected to? The PC? A receiver?

I actually run HDMI out of my video card, with audio, to my den's receiver. I run the other HDMI out to a bedroom TV - the receiver in there doesn't have HDMI so I run optical out of the onboard sound. I do not experience latency.

Depending on how you intend to hook up your headphones, you wouldn't necessarily be running analogue cables. You could potentially run optical or coax out.

 

Note: I'm using an nvidia card (forget the exact model at the moment) and as far as passing along DSP effects - it works fine for movies/music using J River Media Center and various VSTs. Effects applied in other software also pass along fine. Obviously if you get a sound card with built in DSP like CMSS-3D or the like, I'm not sure how you would get it to take effect on your video card's hdmi/audio out. I don't think it works that way :) Test driving a Xonar DG in the same box and I have to use one of its various audio outs to get the dolby headphone processing.

 

I wouldn't expect there to be a soundcard with HDMI out. I think ASUS used to do one which had an HDMI loopback connection but that's not really what I'm looking for - I just want to be able to use CMSS-3D, THX TruStudio etc. and pass that over my video card's HDMI output to my TV.

 

It sounds like that is not going to be possible though.

 

Optical might have worked, but I don't think my TV can use an optical audio input with HDMI. Audio has to be passed through the TV, because that automatically adjusts delays to keep it in sync. I currently just hook up my headphones to the TV's headphone amplifier (it's a high end set so the headphone output is decent) but I have the option of running Optical or Analogue cables out of the TV to an external DAC/Amp too.

 

I did purchase Rapture3D which seems to work very well in supported games, but that list is smaller than I expected - it just makes me want 3D surround even more now.

post #1309 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSound View Post

 

I wouldn't expect there to be a soundcard with HDMI out. I think ASUS used to do one which had an HDMI loopback connection but that's not really what I'm looking for - I just want to be able to use CMSS-3D, THX TruStudio etc. and pass that over my video card's HDMI output to my TV.

 

It sounds like that is not going to be possible though.

 

Optical might have worked, but I don't think my TV can use an optical audio input with HDMI. Audio has to be passed through the TV, because that automatically adjusts delays to keep it in sync. I currently just hook up my headphones to the TV's headphone amplifier (it's a high end set so the headphone output is decent) but I have the option of running Optical or Analogue cables out of the TV to an external DAC/Amp too.

 

I did purchase Rapture3D which seems to work very well in supported games, but that list is smaller than I expected - it just makes me want 3D surround even more now.

Ah, gotcha. You might consider testing an HDMI connection to the TV (for video) and optical/coax out (from the PC, not the TV) to a headphone amp for your audio. I have never had a problem with audio being out of sync and I run HDMI to a receiver and from the receiver to the TV but I have also used HDMI to the receiver and out to the TV for video only, outputting sound from a Xonar DG's optical out (to a Fiio E17). Everything was in sync.


What TV is it? While I haven't gamed on my PC to my TV, I watch a lot of movies with this setup and syncing audio/video has never been a problem.

post #1310 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskaz View Post

Ah, gotcha. You might consider testing an HDMI connection to the TV (for video) and optical/coax out (from the PC, not the TV) to a headphone amp for your audio. I have never had a problem with audio being out of sync and I run HDMI to a receiver and from the receiver to the TV but I have also used HDMI to the receiver and out to the TV for video only, outputting sound from a Xonar DG's optical out (to a Fiio E17). Everything was in sync.


What TV is it? While I haven't gamed on my PC to my TV, I watch a lot of movies with this setup and syncing audio/video has never been a problem.

 

It's a Sony HX900. Most televisions on the market have at least 60ms latency. This one has 30ms latency in game mode, and around 100ms in film mode.

Audio is noticeably out of sync if I just run audio out to another device without passing it through the TV - but I am very sensitive to sync errors. Most people don't seem to notice.

 

The only other option is to buy a large HT receiver which I don't really have the space for, or particularly want. Anything with HDMI 1.3 or newer should be able to get lip-sync correction data from the TV. That said, I don't know how that works in practice - I know from measuring it, that the TV does in fact switch the audio delay depending on whether it is in the game or film modes. I don't know if HDMI lip-sync correction can be dynamically adjusted like that, or if it is simply a fixed offset that is sent when handshaking with the TV.

 

The only headphone amplifier I am aware of that even has a HDMI connector on it, is the Smyth Realiser A8 and I don't know whether that supports the lip-sync correction spec, or even what version of HDMI it uses.

post #1311 of 3042
Theories:
Soundcard SHOULD be able to process the sound, send the digital signal back through the motherboard over to the graphics card with HDMI out, at least with graphics cards made since they worked out how to send audio through a card's HDMI without using wired HD audio connectors from the motherboard.

For older graphics cards that DO require the same front-panel "HD audio" connectors as a work around to add audio to the HDMI output, you could bridge the cards instead of sending the audio out to the front panel.

I don't actually know if this works, but I thought of these theories because I remembered in my NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 card that they included instructions on how to work around the problem of supplying audio to the HDMI connection. I feel like Nameless can say if my theories are valid and provide a solution once he isn't so busy working long hours, but if you like I can dig out my graphics card's manual and look up their audio directions for you. Better act fast though, because as of Monday, I'LL be working full time too ^_^
Edited by Evshrug - 2/7/13 at 10:29pm
post #1312 of 3042
So I have a gt440...capable of sending audio on its own... and a Xonar DG as well. You're saying I *should* be able to turn DH on with the Xonar and send that over the 440 somehow? Or am I misunderstanding?
post #1313 of 3042
Yeah, that was my first theory. I don't know how to do it exactly though... Worst case, you could send the 5.1 channels with sync correction through HDMI to the TV, and then (instead of a Xonar DG) you could do the headphone processing after the TV by using the TV's optical-out audio return channel (most TV's with HDMI have this so broadcast TV can send audio back to a receiver) to hook up a Recon3D USB. That would be very simple to get up and working, plus you'd have an external PC DAC that you could use "portably" with different consoles or PCs. Maybe not the most integrated approach, but easy-enough to put it out of sight.

I guess that's theory 3, and the only one I'm 99% sure would work (against the 1% chance your TV doesn't have an optical-out).

Edit: oh wait, you're saying you already own a Xonar DG? Well... try to figure out theory 1 first.
Edited by Evshrug - 2/7/13 at 10:27pm
post #1314 of 3042
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocles View Post

You should be able to hear all 5.1 channels through stereo headphones without CMSS active?

 

Good; at least it's normal, then. Thanks!

 

Yep, it's normal if the X-Fi card is configured properly. Rear left/right have no spatialization applied to make them distinct from front left/right if you have CMSS-3D Headphone off, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskaz View Post
So I have a gt440...capable of sending audio on its own... and a Xonar DG as well. You're saying I *should* be able to turn DH on with the Xonar and send that over the 440 somehow? Or am I misunderstanding?

 

If the Xonar DG is worth its price, it should have a Stereo Mix input under the Recording tab. This is what you need (along with Windows 7/8) to use the SniperCzar trick, normally mentioned for USB audio devices:

 

-Make sure your sound card's analog output is set as the default output device. This is very important.

-Go into the Properties for your card's Stereo Mix/"What U Hear" input, under the Recording tab.

-Open the Listen tab.

-Check "Listen to this device", and set the drop down box below to whatever output device you really want to use, be it HDMI audio, a USB DAC, or anything else that's more or less its own sound card.

 

This may or may not cause a hit in audio quality. I'm a bit confused on the issue myself right now; the Recon3D USB and Live! 24-bit External had a noticeable downgrade that even non-audiophiles would notice, but the ODAC didn't. However, it may be problematic if you need to use the mic input at the same time. I had issues using Skype when testing the ODAC because of that.

post #1315 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beh0ldeR View Post

I finally ordered a headphone set-up. AKG Q-701 Green(couldn't resist themregular_smile%20.gif) with O2 amp. I believe they will arive within 20 days and i will post my thoughs on gaming then.

Seems there are lot of opinions regarding headphones and amps, its all a matter of taste. Since i wont be hearing a lot of music with them, i have the mako's for the job, i believe that they will be perfect for their puprose.

I will also try the Q's alone with the prelude and see how it goes, i am just curius to see how much difference an Amp will like on them.

Enjoy. That is what I currently use and I am very happy. 

 

My only minor gripe is that I wish the Q701's could sound as good as they do but be a bit more "open" like others that I have tried. All in all though I think it is a great all around setup for Music, Movies and Games. 

post #1316 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

Yep, it's normal if the X-Fi card is configured properly. Rear left/right have no spatialization applied to make them distinct from front left/right if you have CMSS-3D Headphone off, though.

 

 

If the Xonar DG is worth its price, it should have a Stereo Mix input under the Recording tab. This is what you need (along with Windows 7/8) to use the SniperCzar trick, normally mentioned for USB audio devices:

 

-Make sure your sound card's analog output is set as the default output device. This is very important.

-Go into the Properties for your card's Stereo Mix/"What U Hear" input, under the Recording tab.

-Open the Listen tab.

-Check "Listen to this device", and set the drop down box below to whatever output device you really want to use, be it HDMI audio, a USB DAC, or anything else that's more or less its own sound card.

 

This may or may not cause a hit in audio quality. I'm a bit confused on the issue myself right now; the Recon3D USB and Live! 24-bit External had a noticeable downgrade that even non-audiophiles would notice, but the ODAC didn't. However, it may be problematic if you need to use the mic input at the same time. I had issues using Skype when testing the ODAC because of that.

Thanks, I asked at a local computer shop that I've been trying to work for about this, they didn't know for sure how to do it either, though we both thought it should be possible. The manager also was impressed at my persistence (not annoyed), and offered to be a reference for other employment. LOL!

 

Now, if only I could combine What U Hear + Video recording...

post #1317 of 3042

hey guys, i bought the x-fi Titanium (non-hd) 7.1

and its fantastic, but i have some problems to set it up, the first one is the microphone doenst work, where should i jack it (i know it should be on the last blue jack) but it still doesnt work, any suggestions?

besides, should i delete the motherboards built-in soundcard drivers?

post #1318 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by pric0 View Post

Hey guys, i bought the x-fi Titanium (non-hd) 7.1

and its fantastic, but i have some problems to set it up, the first one is the microphone doesn't work, where should i jack it (i know it should be on the last blue jack) but it still doesn't work, any suggestions?

Besides, should I delete the motherboards built-in sound card drivers?

You should at least disable the on-board audio (in the BIOs).

I would also delete the on-board audio's software, but it's more of an option, not a necessity.

post #1319 of 3042

I think I got a stupid question here, but I've heard there's no such thing as a stupid question. Right guys? Right?

 

Anyway, I have an X-Fi Titanium HD with an AD700 hooked up to it. Will be moving onto the AKG K702 that will be amped by a FiiO E09K. My questions is do I hook the amp up to the sound card by way of the headphone jack or should it now hook up to the RCA connections on the sound card?

post #1320 of 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

I think I got a stupid question here, but I've heard there's no such thing as a stupid question. Right guys? Right?

 

Anyway, I have an X-Fi Titanium HD with an AD700 hooked up to it. Will be moving onto the AKG K702 that will be amped by a FiiO E09K. My questions is do I hook the amp up to the sound card by way of the headphone jack or should it now hook up to the RCA connections on the sound card?

I've got mine hooked up to the amp via RCA to 3.5mm cable.

(the amp only has a 3.5mm input - if it had RCA inputs I'd use them)

 

(X-Fi->RCA/3.5mm->O2amp)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)