Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K242HD _ What do you think ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K242HD _ What do you think ?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hello !

 

I have these HPs driven by a very cheap Behringer headphone amp ... this one

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HA400.aspx

I am particularly interested in good reproduction of voices (midrange)

I wonder if a better amp could give an improvement on the intelligibility of words 

Sometimes I hear some sort of confusion during dialogues (maybe distortion ?)

Which amp do you recommend ?  I prefer compact and solid state and not very expensive, possibly)

Moreover to get even more quality which HP would be a clear step up from these 242 ?

I have my eyes on the K240 mkII and the K601

Which of these is the better HP  ?

As I said I am mostly interested in very good reproduction of voices (I use them to watch plays with a lot of dialogues)

What has worried me is this comment from another 3D here

 

The K242HD sound sort of muffled, boomy and too warm

 

is it true ?  can this behaviour be cured using a better amp ?

Thank you very much indeed

Kind regards,

 

gino

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by ginetto61 - 1/28/12 at 8:04am
post #2 of 16

The K242HD is pretty much the same as the K240mkII and Studio's, so better avoid those if you are going for new cans.

Actually I found my K242HD's to sound less boomy when powered by a weak source, an amp does make them more detailed and spacious though.

 

Edit: Well a studio audio interface is a pretty good match with the K242HD, you might want to look in to some of those, www.gearslutz.com is a good place for info on such devices.


Edited by Adda - 1/28/12 at 8:42am
post #3 of 16

The 601 should be a significant step up in terms of clarity....even with a cheap amp. A good amp for someone on a budget....the O2! You might do a forum search if you're interested....for like $125 it's supposed to be amazing bang for buck. Can't say if it would bring significantly more clarity to the k242. I kind of doubt it....they're bassy and and a little laid back by nature..

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

 

Thank you very much for you kind and valuable advice

All considered I think I will stay with these 242 for a little and try to listen them through a better amp

This Behringer is very very cheap

A better amp is in the end a good investment even if I will decide for a higher level HP like the 601

If anyone in the forum use or have used these K242 please let me to know with which amp they sound good

Thank you very much again

Kind regards,

 

gino


Edited by ginetto61 - 1/28/12 at 8:51am
post #5 of 16

I had them once, the best combo I have heard with them is my Echo Audiofire2, it's a studio audio interface, a DAC and a small amp built in to one.

It's a firewire interface though, and a picky one too, might not work with just any firewire controller, to be sure it's best to use it with a Texas Instruments chipset.

post #6 of 16

 

Quote:
The K242HD sound sort of muffled, boomy and too warm

 

Muffed? i don't think so, but the k242HD can be effectively boomy and very warm with some bad synergy amp. Its a headphone for easy listening.

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adda View Post

I had them once, the best combo I have heard with them is my Echo Audiofire2, it's a studio audio interface, a DAC and a small amp built in to one.

It's a firewire interface though, and a picky one too, might not work with just any firewire controller, to be sure it's best to use it with a Texas Instruments chipset.


Hello and   thanks for the suggestion !

But I would try a hedphone amp only because my source is analog stero L and R

Thanks again

 

gino

 

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post


Hello and   thanks for the suggestion !

But I would try a hedphone amp only because my source is analog stero L and R

Thanks again

 

gino

 


Yea the Audiofire2 would be most useful with a computer as source, are you using a CD player or turntable or something?

 

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDRey View Post

 

 

Muffed? i don't think so, but the k242HD can be effectively boomy and very warm with some bad synergy amp. Its a headphone for easy listening.


Actually it is my opinion as well. 

I think that an amp with a low output impedance should control the drivers better, as the damping factor goes up.

I read something of similar in a test with 32 ohm Grado headphone

The bass was firmer with a low output impedance amp (Grace 901 I think it was)

Moreover a good amp can be a sound investment, as it can be used also with better HPs in future

Do you have any suggestion ?

 

Thanks and regards,

 

gino

 

 


Edited by ginetto61 - 1/28/12 at 2:35pm
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adda View Post


Yea the Audiofire2 would be most useful with a computer as source, are you using a CD player or turntable or something?

 

 

Hi !  I am using the analogue outs from this media player


http://www.pixmediahd.com/ficha/Xtreamer/iXtreamer/imagenes/big/iXtreamer_04.jpg

 

reading dvd content via a usb dvd rom

Through the speakers the sounds are good

I will try to test some other amps ... I think that the weak link is my present amp

Kind regards,

 

gino

 

 

 

post #11 of 16

 

Quote:
Do you have any suggestion ?

 

Between K242HD and K601, take the K601 but they require a good amp to shine.

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDRey View Post

 

 

Between K242HD and K601, take the K601 but they require a good amp to shine.



sorry... but I have do disagree.

I've owned the K701, K601, almost all of the K240 and K140 series... sold everything but the K240 sextetts (MP) and gave my K240s and K242HD to close friends as a present.

 

The K701 is a fine pair, but only usable on a treble taming tube amp... no SS-amp is an option (haters gonna hate). I prefer the K240 series due to more body.

... this said, the K601 was not note worthy... expected something neutral, got strange bumps in lower treble...

 

Fun fact... the Q701 uses the same driver as the K701/2 BUT uses the same dampening scheme as the K601 -> foam disc behind the back-grill.

 

I'd rather look for a decent pair of Sennheiser HD580 or HD600 though.

post #13 of 16

 

Quote:

The K701 is a fine pair, but only usable on a treble taming tube amp... no SS-amp is an option (haters gonna hate). I prefer the K240 series due to more body.

... this said, the K601 was not note worthy... expected something neutral, got strange bumps in lower treble...

 

I m a mid centric headphone lover, that's why i like them :) and i have no problems with all my HiFi amps or headphone amps, all are SS amp, maybe you are very sensible with treble.

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 

 

Thank you very much Gentlemen for all your very valuable advice

Maybe I am wrong but my feeling is that a good headphone amp can raise the performance of a HP quite a bit

Is it true in your experience ?

I will try these 242 with another amp before any decision

 

Kind regards,

 

gino

post #15 of 16

Wonder if the K242HD would sound better then my Senheiser HD558s, anyone know?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K242HD _ What do you think ?