Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HELP! Can't Decide! Grado sr325is or RS2i ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP! Can't Decide! Grado sr325is or RS2i ?

Poll Results: Grado RS2i or Grado SR325is?

 
  • 68% (15)
    Grado RS2i
  • 31% (7)
    Grado SR325is
22 Total Votes  
post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hello, 

I am new to Head-Fi and am recently in the Market to buy a new pair of Grado Headphones. The problem is that I can't decided between the sr325is or the RS2i. The price does not matter. I am as willing to pay $300 as I am to pay $500. All I want are headphones that suit me. I have auditioned both of them and find both very nice, but the auditions were short, thus my opinion is not really accurate. The main Questions that I am looking to have answered about the Grado Headphones are: Which, in your option plays Classical Rock (EG: Queen, Pink Floyd, Radiohead) and/or, Alternative (EG: Muse, Coldplay) genre music better? Also What is your opinion on profile (how much do they stick out from the head. There was no mirror in the shop, thus I did not get to see myself with them on)? Are the sr325is small or are the RS2i smaller? And Which set of headphones would you think is best suited for me based on the criteria above. 

 

in advance, thanks for all your help.

 


Edited by locker314 - 1/26/12 at 5:13pm
post #2 of 18

The RS2i's are a little more stylish, IMO. They're also the better 'phone... The 325i is way too bright for me (and a lot of other people, apparently). The 325 is lighter, but it's also plastic. Both have the same headband and feel the same on your head, I'm sure. I'd go for the RS2i, if price isn't a big deal, because It

s definitely nicer.

 

With either, you'd ideally want an amp and a good source or at least a good DAC.

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 

Ya I agree with you one the Amp and DAC. Once I get one of the headphones I might buy a CMOYBB amp.

 

 Also one more question. There is one thing the I am not really a big fan of, is headphones that stick way out of your hear. I like a nice soundstage but headphones that stick wayyyyy to much out are not really my style. That being said, which Grado headphone is smaller?


Edited by locker314 - 1/27/12 at 2:04pm
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 

Does anyone else have any opinion?

post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post

The 325 is lighter, but it's also plastic. Both have the same headband and feel the same on your head, I'm sure.

 

The RS2i is waaay lighter than the SR325i because the cups are entirely made out of wood vs the heavier metal cups that the SR325i uses.

 

If money is no issue, just get the RS2i. If they are anything like the RS1i, you are going to be in audio nirvana.

post #6 of 18

the rs2 are nothing like the rs1.

 

my experiences where that the rs2 are actually brighter than the 325  and the improvement is small to justify the price.mostly the highs where harsh and everything else sounded about the same, the rs2 just has a small detail boost.

 

i would get 325 or just get rs1.

 

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 

Is there really very little improvement? Although for me money is not a problem when it comes to audio, I do not like spending more, for performance that is of same/very very very little improvement over a lesser model. If it might help, I am not looking for sound that is perfect, but sound that is unique. The main reason I go for Grado is that they don't have "perfect/exact" sound, in my opinion. But they have a unique very nice sound. When I tried both of the headphones out, they rocked. But the songs I listened to during the style were not really my choice of genre, so I don't know how they sound with classic rock bands like Queen, Radiohead or Pink Floyd. Also on top of that I can't find online any pictures of people actually wearing the headphones. I really want to know how much they stick out. So if you guys think that the jump from sr325is to rs2i is not worth the $200, please say so and why.  

post #8 of 18

grado will sound amazing with classic rock bands, like there is seriously no better headphone for rock any anything with guitar, especially classic rock; im sure many people on head-fi agree.

 

i wouldn't recommend the rs2i becuase the improvement is marginal and i personally found them to be brighter too. the rs1i however, is way better and a huge improvement over both. smooth, warm, and very forward mids that are quite enjoyable. they are even better with flat pads.

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

grado will sound amazing with classic rock bands, like there is seriously no better headphone for rock any anything with guitar, especially classic rock; im sure many people on head-fi agree.

 

i wouldn't recommend the rs2i becuase the improvement is marginal and i personally found them to be brighter too. the rs1i however, is way better and a huge improvement over both. smooth, warm, and very forward mids that are quite enjoyable. they are even better with flat pads.



 Ditto ~ Grado's are indeed the best things for rock, only thing that gets close is a HD800 with the right material and a very decent rig

 behind it to my ears, many pundits will scream 'LCD2/3' - but to my ears, it's just too polite ~ there's no chaotic nirvana to the sound

 which fundamentally describes what rock is all about.

 

 You mentioned ColdPlay and it's well known their recordings are absolutely dreadful ~ mixed for iPods ~ get yourself the RS2i and

 work on taming the highs and harshness from the crap mastering. I don't mind the band, but the mastering engineers clearly had

 guns pointed to their head during the final cut :-)

post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

 

 You mentioned ColdPlay and it's well known their recordings are absolutely dreadful ~ mixed for iPods ~ get yourself the RS2i and

 work on taming the highs and harshness from the crap mastering. I don't mind the band, but the mastering engineers clearly had

 guns pointed to their head during the final cut :-)


I agree with you regarding the ColdPlay albums. I can't stand their mixing, I just listen to individual songs from time to time. Although I do spend most of my time listening to Albums like A Night at the Opera, Jazz, and A Day at the Races by Queen, and Ok Computer by Radiohead. ColdPlay for me is when I need a change from time to time, I listen to a song or two but go straight back to the classics. When you said, "get yourself the RS2i", do you think that they are worth the $200 and if yes, have any recommendations for an amp to "tame the highs"?

 

 

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by locker314 View Post


I agree with you regarding the ColdPlay albums. I can't stand their mixing, I just listen to individual songs from time to time. Although I do spend most of my time listening to Albums like A Night at the Opera, Jazz, and A Day at the Races by Queen, and Ok Computer by Radiohead. ColdPlay for me is when I need a change from time to time, I listen to a song or two but go straight back to the classics. When you said, "get yourself the RS2i", do you think that they are worth the $200 and if yes, have any recommendations for an amp to "tame the highs"?

 

 



 Depends on your budget but I'd say across the board between solid state and tube ~

 

 WA6 and if the budget can stretch it, the WA6-SE for tubes, the big benefit being that you can roll over the tubes to something like

 the Sophia Princess 274B which only serves to improve the sound, as for solid state ~ Violectric is a great option since all Grado's

 are 32ohms, the Violectrics offer a very low output impedance to suit, not only that but the general signature is very neutral with

 a slight warm overtone - It doesn't interfere with the Grado sound but it does help ever so slightly to tame the highs and it gives

 them all the power they'd want at 32 ohms.

 

 V90 or V100 if you can stretch it. Lehmann (Rhinelander or Black Cube) is not bad either for Grado if you can score that at a good price.

 

 But remember this is just all 'amp talk' ~ you need a great source to get the best result, for example playing around with a heap of gear of late

 I've come to realise that my Rega DAC falls really short of what the PS1000 is capable of ~ and that ain't a cheapo incompetent DAC either :-)

 

 You only realise this when you hear something way nicer through other avenues..

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post



 Depends on your budget but I'd say across the board between solid state and tube ~

 

 WA6 and if the budget can stretch it, the WA6-SE for tubes, the big benefit being that you can roll over the tubes to something like

 the Sophia Princess 274B which only serves to improve the sound, as for solid state ~ Violectric is a great option since all Grado's

 are 32ohms, the Violectrics offer a very low output impedance to suit, not only that but the general signature is very neutral with

 a slight warm overtone - It doesn't interfere with the Grado sound but it does help ever so slightly to tame the highs and it gives

 them all the power they'd want at 32 ohms.

 

 V90 or V100 if you can stretch it. Lehmann (Rhinelander or Black Cube) is not bad either for Grado if you can score that at a good price.

 

 But remember this is just all 'amp talk' ~ you need a great source to get the best result, for example playing around with a heap of gear of late

 I've come to realise that my Rega DAC falls really short of what the PS1000 is capable of ~ and that ain't a cheapo incompetent DAC either :-)

 

 You only realise this when you hear something way nicer through other avenues..


Thanks for the tips on which amp will be good, but they will be no better than paper weights for me if I don't choose one of the Grados. From what is said on this forum, they are both, good. But I still don't know which ones I should get. Any comments or comparisons that could help me choose, would be gladly appreciated. 

 

post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

grado will sound amazing with classic rock bands, like there is seriously no better headphone for rock any anything with guitar, especially classic rock; im sure many people on head-fi agree.

 

i wouldn't recommend the rs2i becuase the improvement is marginal and i personally found them to be brighter too. the rs1i however, is way better and a huge improvement over both. smooth, warm, and very forward mids that are quite enjoyable. they are even better with flat pads.



I didn't get to listen to the rs1i while I was in the store. For me dishing out $700 for a pair a headphones is more than I can afford. When I meant that money is not a problem. I was regarding the sr325is and rs2i because I have ~$600 to spend and I want the best for my money. That being said. Would you happen to know if there is any signifiant improvement going form sr225i to sr325is or rs2i? If the improvement is a good one, I will buy the rs2i but if not I think I won't. Also, for me the weight and size of the headphone matters. I do plan on taking these out of the house and listening to them. Which headphone is larger? the SR325is or RS2i? and which one is heavier? Also if you think that taking the Grados out of the house is the worst Idea in the world. Could you give me a recommendation on a pair of headphones that are great for classic rock and are also better for environments outside of the house. EG: school, city, bus?

 

Thanks in advance.

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

i would get 325 or just get rs1.

 

 

i would, too.

post #15 of 18

If you asked me what the worst possible headphone choice would be for outside use, I'd say Grados.

Their construction isn't the most rigid and they have ZERO isolation so you have to listen at ear damaging volumes to enjoy the music.

 

If you want a headphone for outside that comes close the the excitement of Grados I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. They have a similar energetic up-front sound with amazing isolation and a very durable construction. I just tuck them in my backpack when on the move, something I wouldn't dare with Grados.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HELP! Can't Decide! Grado sr325is or RS2i ?