I am looking to spend 200 or less on a set of over ear portable headphones and saw that V-Moda had these. Are they any different than the regular V-moda Crossfade LPs? And are they worth the price? Amazon has them for about 100 and I was wondering whether or not that would be good value. I mostly listen to metal, and some modern bands as well (pretty much nothing pre-90's)
Related Forum Threads
- Need a little help choosing Last post on Yesterday at 6:03 am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Bowers and Wilkins P5 or Sennheiser Momentum for only audiobooks? Last post on 10/20/13 at 9:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Comparison betwween Beyerdynamic T50p, B&W P5, Sennheiser Momentum on-ear Last post on 9/30/13 at 8:44am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need advice on choosing a closed back portable over ear headphone Last post on 10/2/13 at 10:34am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Compared to B&W P5, Sennheiser Momentum, and Bose QC3, which worth best? Last post on 9/24/13 at 11:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Astell & Kern AKR01 Jimmy Moon at Astell & Kern was kind enough to lend me a pair of AKR01's for review. Big thanks to him. Anyways, review ahead! What are they: I notice that I haven't...
Heir audio was once thought to be the next king of IEMs. Rave reviews was floating everywhere online. The air around these IEMs were so enticing that one who has never heard them would be drawn to...
I have to say, as introduction: I'm not an audiophile, just an "enhanced" user with more than 20 years of analogic and digital listen. I use mainly portable devices, some Fii amplifier, and I...
I'm still a newbie in the headphone category, just starting to try out all the hyped ones like SRH840, HD650/600 etc from the beginning of this year. Now I'm left with this, HD600, and DT880....
Are the military quality V-Moda Crossfade LPs the same as regular V-moda Crossfade LPs, and is...post #1 of 111/25/12 at 1:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 111/25/12 at 3:11pm
If you have to have over ear go with the LP2 as its sound signature is less rolled off toward the mids and treble. The Corssfade M80 and V80 are the better headphone in that they have better frequency response curves as well as cleaner square wave response and less ringing during the impulse test. I found the M80 / V80 extremely comfortable especially after gently bending the ear pieces a bit to fit the angles of my head.
I think the LP2 goes a bit deeper into the bass region as well, but I honestly do not like either the LP or LP2.post #3 of 111/25/12 at 3:16pm
I wasn't able to compare the LP2s to the LPs, but, x2 that M80 is a better route, even though they're on ear. They're much more controlled than the LP2s and are more neutral. The LP2s are so bass heavy and punchy, they can pretty much only be good for hip-hop and more basic electronica. I didn't really care for them. They might be better at half the cost, but I wouldn't pay retail for them.post #4 of 111/25/12 at 3:22pmThread Starterpost #5 of 111/25/12 at 3:32pmpost #6 of 111/25/12 at 3:49pmThread Starterpost #7 of 111/25/12 at 3:50pmQuote:
I think the M80s would be good if you're set on V-Moda. They have enough bass (actually more than enough) for hip-hop, but it's tight enough to follow kicks and double bass in metal. The LP2's bass is too flabby for rock, I'd say. As far as other brands in the price range, my favorite closed cans are Shure SRH-840s, ATH-M50s, and pretty much all studio monitors that I've heard.
<edit> What is your price range? The P5s are $300 where as the M80s and what I said are ~$150. I would also go with HD 25-1 II as opposed to the P5. Have you seen the Adidas originals version? There's also the new Sennheiser Amperior
Edited by lilkoolaidman - 1/25/12 at 3:53pmpost #8 of 111/25/12 at 3:55pmThread Starterpost #9 of 111/25/12 at 4:01pmQuote:
I've only briefly heard the HD 25-1 II's, so I don't have a very accurate assessment as to if they're worth it and the Amperiors are supposedly the same but slightly different. If portability is a factor, I would say for sure get the M80s. Studio monitors like the ATH-M50s and SRH-840s are a bit big for portable use and have rather long cables. But, if you can live with their bulkiness, around ear headphones are less finicky than on-ears imo.post #10 of 111/25/12 at 4:04pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman
I've only briefly heard the HD 25-1 II's, so I don't have a very accurate assessment as to if they're worth it and the Amperiors are supposedly the same but slightly different. If portability is a factor, I would say for sure get the M80s. Studio monitors like the ATH-M50s and SRH-840s are a bit big for portable use and have rather long cables. But, if you can live with their bulkiness, around ear headphones are less finicky than on-ears imo.
Ok, I'll probably get the M80s then, but I am still intrigued by the Bowers and Wilkins P5. Did you have any experience with those?post #11 of 111/25/12 at 4:08pmQuote:
I've only heard them in an Apple store a time or two. I was using their iPods, but they seemed a little boomy to me and the highs were recessed. Decent ~$100 headphone, not so great for ~$300. Not to mention the cable on the P5s is stringy compared to the M80.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Are the military quality V-Moda Crossfade LPs the same as regular V-moda Crossfade LPs, and is it worth it to purchase?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. 28 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 47 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Music that makes you cry? 1 minute ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 2 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 2 minutes ago
- › An amp under $100 for my Fischer FA-003 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Heir Audio 3.Ai by hapopo
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by JoeDoe
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by HPuser9083
- › Ray Samuels Audio F-35 Lightning by HeadphoneAddict
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe