Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86 - Page 34

post #496 of 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneller View Post

I should also add that I am coming from the Phonak PFE 112 IEMs which are balanced, neutral, warm, etc. And I think I want a departure from this with my next purchase.

 

I do like the sound of my TF10s (and I will keep them) but they are uncomfortable as heck!

 

And I want to get away from BA IEMs and try the dynamic side again.

Vocals on the 77 are better than the 50's.  Both IEM's are forward sounding.  The Nuforce are more laid back, which makes them easy to listen to for hours.  The 50's are forward too but they have that mid-range hole in the middle and the 77's are more flat and neutral so the entire presentation is better balanced in a forward way.  One thing I am noticing - the 77's have a 13mm driver, which is thicker in your ear than most.  I have small ear channels and with the smaller earpads, there is less cushion around the drivers.  I probably have to try some other earpads to find one that's more comfortable because I doubt I'd want to keep these in for an entire trans-atlantic flight.

post #497 of 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post



Very nice impressions. It's interesting that you find the CKM50s bright and harsh. I guess auditory perception can change with the type of phones you typically listen to



eke, its probably the match of phones, source player and files that make it sound bright for me.  You might have a different sounding source player and files that make them sound warm and rich.

post #498 of 1323

Hmmm. How can I put it a different way? Which is more fun? Did you notice your head bobbing up and down more with one over the other?

post #499 of 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneller View Post

Hmmm. How can I put it a different way? Which is more fun? Did you notice your head bobbing up and down more with one over the other?



The 50's are more fun and the sound signature is similar enough not to justify the 4x cost difference.  I'd start there as the risk is lower for an introduction.

post #500 of 1323

Well, that's of course what I was hoping you'd say. The 50s are selling for $32 right now! :)

post #501 of 1323

I just jumped on a Cowon iAudio 10 and the 50s...we'll see...

 

Thank to everyone for the help.

 

 

post #502 of 1323
Thread Starter 

You see them as I do. I appreciate your take on the CKM earphones. I completely agree with you on both phones minus the part about the CKM77s being warmer than the CKM50s. It think they might be actually a bit more on the brighter side because these have the more proper balanced sounds vs the more bassy CKM50s. I absolutely love the fact that these are indeed rich and vivid sounding.. My CKM50s on my mp3 player is just an awesome match. The CKM77s. Oh wow. I love these. People just don't know.

 

I spent $300 on my A900X. These CKM77s cost around$107ish and the sound signature and refinements in the sound is almost one n the same. I know these CKM77s have never been the norm around here at headfi. To me it is a crying shame. These deserve a 2nd look by the community imo..Don't just take my word for it. Listen to these guys that just got them. These are so worth the discounted price they are selling them for..I am gonna rename the thread by the way. Look for it.

 

In a way though I am liking the fact that the CKM50 are the more bassier fun sound signature while these CKM77s are the natural upgrade to them..I think both are worthy of anyone collections. One on the go and one for the house..For me these make a perfect one two combo. One is musical and does your bassy music justice. The other is analytical and can pick off details like no other. Happy listening there algreen345

 

@Schneller. I actually prefer listening to trance on my CKM50s..I think you did just fine trying out the CKM50. And vocals on them are very nice imo. The room filling bassy sounds are just awesome for EDM.


Edited by Dsnuts - 2/2/12 at 3:47pm
post #503 of 1323

Just had an interesting experience.  Tried the 77's with the smallest earpads and the sound was quite bright.  Then I put the mid-sized ones in and the brightness was gone.  Can this be true?  Can the position of the driver in your ear make a difference in the way the IEM sounds?

 

Has anyone else tried this?  Need to a/b some of my other IEM's with different pads to see what it sounds like.

 

post #504 of 1323
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by algreen345 View Post

Just had an interesting experience.  Tried the 77's with the smallest earpads and the sound was quite bright.  Then I put the mid-sized ones in and the brightness was gone.  Can this be true?  Can the position of the driver in your ear make a difference in the way the IEM sounds?

 

Has anyone else tried this?  Need to a/b some of my other IEM's with different pads to see what it sounds like.

 



Oh yea. That is why many guys ditch their stock tips for different ones.. You would be surprised what some tip experimentation can do for your sounds. It will surprise you.


Edited by Dsnuts - 2/2/12 at 4:13pm
post #505 of 1323

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-first-looks-audio-technica-ath-ckm77-ear-headphones  sad to see only these guys reviewed it, in english terms that is. Kind of doubting the reviewers though.

post #506 of 1323
Thread Starter 

I noticed that with smaller holed tips on the CKM77s balances the sound out even more so. Try the Sony Hybrids on these. I am using the tips that were included on my Gr07 and those are almost the same as the Sony Hybrids. So depending on tips you can get more detail or a more bassy end. It is just perfect with these tips.

 

Interesting observation. I have been just using the stock tips which make the sound of these leaning toward a analytical brighter side a kin to the Isurus. Trying out the Gr07 large tips. Oh man. Hahaha it is just perfect. Not bright not warm. Just the right tonality.. Guys that love clean timbre detail will love these. The highs on these once you guys hear these all others will fail in this department. I get just a touch more bass too with a bit more forward mids. Tip enhancement.

 

 


Edited by Dsnuts - 2/2/12 at 5:12pm
post #507 of 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

I noticed that with smaller holed tips on the CKM77s balances the sound out even more so. Try the Sony Hybrids on these. I am using the tips that were included on my Gr07 and those are almost the same as the Sony Hybrids. So depending on tips you can get more detail or a more bassy end. It is just perfect with these tips.

 

Interesting observation. I have been just using the stock tips which make the sound of these leaning toward a analytical brighter side a kin to the Isurus. Trying out the Gr07 large tips. Oh man. Hahaha it is just perfect. Not bright not warm. Just the right tonality.. Guys that love clean timbre detail will love these. The highs on these once you guys hear these all others will fail in this department. I get just a touch more bass too with a bit more forward mids. Tip enhancement.

 

 


So the effect of Gr07 or sony hybrids will give it a bit more bass, controlled highs, and a bit better mids? Which still keeps it at a balanced nature? Wow...buying sony hybrids somewhere now.

 

post #508 of 1323
Just an fyi, I went to the Sony outlet store near me and the hybrid tips were 97 cents. Around 7 dollars at best buy.
post #509 of 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri_toast View Post

Just an fyi, I went to the Sony outlet store near me and the hybrid tips were 97 cents. Around 7 dollars at best buy.


Buy a whole crapload.....I'll take a few sets for sure.gs1000.gif

post #510 of 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri_toast View Post

Just an fyi, I went to the Sony outlet store near me and the hybrid tips were 97 cents. Around 7 dollars at best buy.


$10 (not including tax) at the Sony Store in Canada. They're robbing us blind!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86