Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › new OTL tube headphone amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

new OTL tube headphone amp - Page 3

post #31 of 110
DustyChalk, god bless you
post #32 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by taoster
DustyChalk, god bless you
Actually, I prefer "gesundheit", but thank you!

Oh, and please call me "Dusty". I always laugh when someone calls me "DustyChalk". That would be like me referring to someone as "JohnDoe", or "MikeSmith" or "FirstnameLastname". I actually really do go by "Dusty" in real life. Sometimes. I really should have registered as "Dusty Chalk" when I first came here, but wasn't sure about spaces...I'll have to see if I can get that changed, even though it's against the rules...I think since I'm not technically changing a single letter in my name, Jude might go for it.
post #33 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Actually, I prefer "gesundheit", but thank you!

Oh, and please call me "Dusty". I always laugh when someone calls me "DustyChalk". That would be like me referring to someone as "JohnDoe", or "MikeSmith" or "FirstnameLastname". I actually really do go by "Dusty" in real life. Sometimes. I really should have registered as "Dusty Chalk" when I first came here, but wasn't sure about spaces...I'll have to see if I can get that changed, even though it's against the rules...I think since I'm not technically changing a single letter in my name, Jude might go for it.
You now have a space, DustyChalk.
post #34 of 110

HAP-03 wow very cute. :)

How long do those tube usualy last? ie. the one on the
HAP-03?
post #35 of 110

Re: HAP-03 wow very cute. :)

Congratulations on your new space Dusty

Please do keep us informed on your progress with this amp...


Quote:
Originally posted by aixer
How long do those tube usualy last? ie. the one on the
HAP-03?
I don't know, but I believe they last a lot longer than tubes in speaker equipment (something about them not being stressed as much).
post #36 of 110

Re: Re: HAP-03 wow very cute. :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mumrik
Congratulations on your new space Dusty

Please do keep us informed on your progress with this amp...




I don't know, but I believe they last a lot longer than tubes in speaker equipment (something about them not being stressed as much).
I guess it may be more than 3 years.
post #37 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by jude
You now have a space, DustyChalk.
Um, let's see if I can spell this right...aheam...w00t! (Gawd, I feel like such a poseur...)

No, seriously, thanks Jude! Happy Your Birthday To Me!

I like my new space.

PS I would not have guessed you for an Echo and the Bunnymen fan...
post #38 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
PS I would not have guessed you for an Echo and the Bunnymen fan...

Big fan actually, since I first heard their first album back in the early 80's. I ran into Ian McCulloch once, after one of his solo concerts years ago, at a dance club below the concert hall. We chatted very briefly, and the thing I remember most about that brief conversation was Ian mentioning that he wasn't pleased that the band decided to continue using the same name after he'd left. He expressed this quite calmly, but it was clear it was a sore subject with him. And his hair....well, it was just like on his record covers.

I have no idea what he's up to now (do you?). Is there still an Echo & The Bunnymen? I just listen to their old stuff.
post #39 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by jude
I have no idea what he's up to now (do you?). Is there still an Echo & The Bunnymen? I just listen to their old stuff.
Yeah, they got back together a few years ago, and are back to putting albums out. I think they have one or two (checks AMG)...no apparently they have more than that. It's pretty much as good as any band that tries to stage a comeback -- pretty good, but never as good as the old stuff (did you hear Modern English cover...I mean, do a remake of "I Melt With You"? Then you know what I mean).

There was also the Electrafixion project in between the Ian McCullough solo releases and the reformation of E&tB, which is quite good, I highly recommend looking that album -- Burned -- up.

The best of the current crop of "that school" is The Church, because they never stopped making music.
post #40 of 110
wait, so these are TUBE HEADPHONE AMPS FOR 130 and 150? Hold me .. .
post #41 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by pigmode
Why do I imagine a pain in the lower regions when I look at that thing? What's good about OTL? Doesn't tube gear get much of its goodness from the transformer?
joelongwood reacted quite positively to his Earmax Pro when describing the bass region. I've never heard any tube equipment, but just wanted to point out someone else's opinion.
post #42 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by andrzejpw
wait, so these are TUBE HEADPHONE AMPS FOR 130 and 150? Hold me .. .

There, There
post #43 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by pigmode
Why do I imagine a pain in the lower regions when I look at that thing? What's good about OTL? Doesn't tube gear get much of its goodness from the transformer?
No, the transformer is a necessary evil. Tubes have high output impedences. Without a transformer, they would have trouble driving low impedence loads with any power. However, headphones, even low impedence ones, have higher impedences and lower power demands than most loudspeakers. So, OTL designs become practical and desireable when the impedence mismatch does not occur.

We often read here that the HD-600 is good with tube amps. We may have it backward. Tube amps may be good with the HD-600, because their high impedence makes it easier for the amp to drive.
post #44 of 110
so, has anyone actually had a listen? I'm very interested in teh 2 lower models . . .
post #45 of 110
So far I don't think so, we are relying on Dusty Chalk (with the space ) to move on that one...
I can't justify spending that kind of money right now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › new OTL tube headphone amp