Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 630

post #9436 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

That's a lot of THD noise, but again, that was most likely done on purpose.

 

 

Yes, Tyll confirmed this in a little audio debate, sorry I'm too lazy to source it.

 

700

 

And yup that really explains the laid-back midrange, and especially the lower mids; that's a pretty deep dip. Most of the THD noise is also in this region. blink.gif

The upper-mids are slightly emphasised relative to the lower-mids, as I have observed (around the 1-2 kHz region).

I can't explain what causes the lower-treble to sound sibilant though. Is it that peak at the ~4 kHz mark in the raw data?

The laid-back upper-treble might also be due to the steep treble slope on the rightmost portion of the graph. A high amount of THD noise is found in this region too.

The channel imbalances in the upper frequencies is also confirmed for me (it wasn't an issue though).

 

I can only guess but maybe it is the rising distortion after 5kHz.

 

The shape of the 300 Hz wave definitely matches with sibilant-sounds, or edgey treble.

 

Sibilant might be a stretch, The initial spike relating to treble is slightly lower than that of the Amperiors, for example.

700

 

 

I'll call it, a solid treble presentation with possibly concerning high frequency distortion, but its hard to tell from that plot beerchug.gif.

post #9437 of 21161

That frequency response curve reminds me a little bit of the Stax O2, where the upper mids-to-lower treble region is a "little recessed for a good part of the region" in relation to a rise back to normal levels at 10Khz. (normal in relation to the midrange)

 

I noted in my review I said, "There is a small hump around 160-250 Hz as well as a small audible dip in the frequency response from 2150-5000 Hz, but no spiky treble peaks and especially nothing noted in the 6KHz range that would lead to any sibilance."

 

In the response curve Tyll posted I can see where the bass below 250Hz is up 10-12db over the mids, just as I heard it.  I suppose I'm more used to a bass bump from 10-100Hz and that part didn't seem to be too much to my ears.

 

I can also see the upper mids/lower treble dip that I heard, but I posted it was from 2-5K to my ears (with test tones) and Tyll's measurements put the dip between 3KHz -- 7KHz and back to normal by 8Khz.  I am pretty certain that when using test tones my drop out started a little lower than 3K, and the treble in mine started to come back up by 6Khz, rather than 7-8Khz that Tyll's measurements show.

 

I did say there was no 6Khz sibilance or aggression peak, and I was right.  I did not hear ANY sibilance either.

post #9438 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakhar View Post

Constantly checking Innerfidelity for Tyll's review. Can't wait.


its up, no video yet 

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bassheads-delight-v-moda-crossfade-m-100

post #9439 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkyne View Post


its up, no video yet 

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bassheads-delight-v-moda-crossfade-m-100

 

Video is on page 2 now

post #9440 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

 

Video is on page 2 now


Wow, he opens the case with such ease *gasps in amazement*.

 

Nice overall review from Tyll. I'm really surprised the V-CORK actually does do something. It didn't seem to do anything when I tried it way back ages ago.

 

 

Wait, Tyll said the earpads are "fairly deep". blink.gif


Edited by miceblue - 11/13/12 at 10:50pm
post #9441 of 21161

After reading the recent reviews, I want the M-100 even more.

HA likes the Westone 3, which I also love, and the M-100 So I'll just say he shares a similar like as me.

Tyll I really respect when it comes to headphone reviews.

Miceblue gave me his personal opinion of a track I requested.

 

I really just want a more comfortable M-80 with a 2dB increase in the very low end and this sounds like IT. Minus the quieter mids and highs :-/

post #9442 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


Wow, he opens the case with such ease *gasps in amazement*.

 

Nice overall review from Tyll. I'm really surprised the V-CORK actually does do something. It didn't seem to do anything when I tried it way back ages ago.

 

 

Wait, Tyll said the earpads are "fairly deep". blink.gif


I think Tyll has small munchkin ears.

post #9443 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

 

 

The shape of the 30 Hz wave kind of matches the slightly loose bass that I've brought up here-and-there.

700

 

I don't know what you're smoking, that 30Hz squarewave is extremely good, a very tight and punchy bass response, what you might observe as loose bass in this case is the sheer quantity of it in that case, at some point bass will sound loose no matter how good it as it's overshadowing the rest of the range too much. This looks to be some of the punchiest bass I've seen which is a good thing, drums really should have a very impactful taut hit to it.

 

The bass looks to be measuring perfect for my taste, only the lower midrange is a little worrisome but if modding the pads helps, then that's cool, it's not really that far off, optimally I had probably prefered the 500Hz area to be about 3~4dB or so higher, I will definitely give M100 a try at the very least since Tyll emphasize how it's especially fit for modern electronic music which I mostly listen to and the weak points are those which aren't my personal top prorities (instrument separation, resolution & air in the highs) and I more want a fun headphone that engages me when listening to music (I barely can sit still when listening to hardstyle on my M-Audio Q40 because it's so engaging with the ZO amp especially).

 

Generally M100 seems to do well in the aspects that are important for me;

 

- A FUN & engaging focusing headphone

- Tight and punchy bass response

- BALANCED midbass vs subbass presence

- Non-sibilant highs

- Good prat

- Good soundstage for a closed headphone 

 

What ultimately may stop me from completely loving them is any upper-mid spikes/resonances and the slightly recessed lower-midrange.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 11/14/12 at 12:19am
post #9444 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

I don't know what you're smoking, that 30Hz squarewave is extremely good, a very tight and punchy bass response, what you might observe as loose bass in this case is the sheer quantity of it in that case, at some point bass will sound loose no matter how good it as it's overshadowing the rest of the range too much. This looks to be some of the punchiest bass I've seen which is a good thing, drums really should have a very impactful taut hit to it.

 

The bass looks to be measuring perfect for my taste, only the lower midrange is a little worrisome but if modding the pads helps, then that's cool, it's not really that far off, optimally I had probably prefered the 500Hz area to be about 3~4dB or so higher, I will definitely give M100 a try at the very least since Tyll emphasize how it's especially fit for modern electronic music which I mostly listen to and the weak points are those which aren't my personal top prorities (instrument separation, resolution & air in the highs) and I more want a fun headphone that engages me when listening to music (I barely can sit still when listening to hardstyle on my M-Audio Q40 because it's so engaging with the ZO amp especially).

 

Generally M100 seems to do well in the aspects that are important for me;

 

- A FUN & engaging focusing headphone

- Tight and punchy bass response

- BALANCED midbass vs subbass presence

- Non-sibilant highs

- Good prat

- Good soundstage for a closed headphone 

 

What ultimately may stop me from completely loving them is any upper-mid spikes/resonances and the slightly recessed lower-midrange.


Woah there partner, no need to get all personal.

 

In that post I had a disclaimer at the end of the measurements section

Quote:
...BUT I'm not an expert at reading headphone measurements, so I could be totally wrong. XD

and my interpretations were from Tyll's "measurements explained article".

 

700

Quote:
Complex curve indicates bass phase shifting giving slightly loose sound

 

700

 

Of the 30 Hz response curves shown in that article, the M-100's response best matches that one.

post #9445 of 21161
However, it seems that Tyll thinks m-100 is more basshead than UE6K and UE6K is more balanced, and based on his last sentence, Momentum is more reference compared to these two... This is somehow different from the impression I got from threads in here. I personally just have Momentum listened...I just can't wait to get my m-100 and then grab my friend's UE6K then find out which one is my favorite biggrin.gif.... What a busy Christmas....
Edited by guyuemuziye - 11/14/12 at 12:52am
post #9446 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uruha View Post

After reading the recent reviews, I want the M-100 even more.

HA likes the Westone 3, which I also love, and the M-100 So I'll just say he shares a similar like as me.

Tyll I really respect when it comes to headphone reviews.

Miceblue gave me his personal opinion of a track I requested.

 

I really just want a more comfortable M-80 with a 2dB increase in the very low end and this sounds like IT. Minus the quieter mids and highs :-/

 

This might be like a Westone 3 in frequency response except for the more laid back treble in the M-100 (but not dark, and Tyll agrees).  And the W3 don't have quite as much bass in the 200-300Hz range.  The M-100 are not as detailed, but yeah, W3 lovers will most likely enjoy these.  I think HD650 lovers who want a portable headphone will also go for this, if they want a little bump over the bass that they get from their HD650.

post #9447 of 21161

So according to Tyll even the momentum feels more balanced than the m100?

oh well , might be a dealbreaker for me

post #9448 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


Woah there partner, no need to get all personal.

 

Wasn't meant to get personal, was only using it as everyday slang, if you found it offensive I apologize cuz it wasn't the intention.

 

About the curve, I don't remember reading anything like that in that latest article he wrote which explained well thoroughly about the measurements. The lower the 30Hz squarewave is vertically stretched, the tighter the bass is and the protruding curved shape indicates a punchiness in the bass and the more protruding from a straight line the stronger punch. For example Philips L1, Ultrasone PRO900 and especially HD25-II are known for punchy bass which can be seen from their 30Hz square waves. M100 looks to be both tight and punchy, not the punchiest but certainly significantly more so than the average headphone.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 11/14/12 at 3:35am
post #9449 of 21161

So... I still haven't received my VTF-100's. This sucks.... 

 

I had them shipped to my house and they arrived on Oct. 13th. My Wife took them straight from the house and dropped them back into the mail to send to me. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan as a soldier in the US Army. Thinking this wouldn't be a problem as I have received many boxes since I have been here. I had her insure them for $300 dollars "just in case". Well, Its now November 14th, and still no headphones. I have received other boxes from her since. I know the address was correct. I don't know what to do. I mean, I can file a claim with the post office after 73 days and get my money back but that is really not the point. These were "kind of" one of a kind. I am 1 of 148 that got the VTF's and now I think they are gone. I don't get much to look forward too being over here in a war zone. I was so excited to get these and now I feel like they are either lost or someone saw the customs forms and the insurance and decided to keep them for themselves.... SO Dissappointed. I know there prolly isn't anything V-Moda can do since they did show up to there actual destination which was my house.. Just wish there was something I can do. The post office was unable to help. Once they leave the states and go to a APO post office, the tracking stops. 

 

Does anyone have any Ideas? 

 

Not trying to sound pathetic, but man, I wish I could get my headphones. Really was hoping to have something to relax to after a long day in this hell hole called Afghanistan. 


Edited by WestCoastPatty - 11/14/12 at 5:48am
post #9450 of 21161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannLiebert View Post

So according to Tyll even the momentum feels more balanced than the m100?

oh well , might be a dealbreaker for me


Yeah, I'm now even more unsure...

He said basically that they are not ideal for classical/jazz and other softer genres, yet, my spectrum of music goes to that, from the likes of Trance, and bass heavy stuff, so I'm into everything.

If the bass really is so hard hitting, and they can't be lowered with EQ without affecting other frequencies, I may find that they are going back.

If the bass is controlled though, I may not have a problem, but again, I will have to see.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.