Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 627

post #9391 of 20928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibemerchant View Post


+1 to that.
Initially (first week or so) the bass was overwhelming to me and I started to wonder if I made a misstake buying them, especially considering rock music. I was worried i'd have to buy an amp or equalizer.
But now a 'phone like the Momentum just sounds to 'flimsy' compared to the M-100, which feels like it presents music (every kind) with heft, so to speak. It's just heavy, massive fun, with the right kind of details to still be enjoyable when listening to jazz or rock. I'm enjoying this sound more and more, parlty because it makes music sound more like a live experience.
To Edd from Noblehifi: please don't be afriad to post your critical review here. I don't think anyone believes there is such a thing as the perfect headphone. It's listeners like you that keep the discussion going.
I'm sincerely interested though in how many days/weeks you had them before posting your review. From my experience, these have to grow on you, especially when you're expecting an 'audiophile', type of sound (with ni emphasis on fun).


I'm thinking I should add something to my review regarding how the M-100's stack up to the other competition in the $300 range. That was actually one of Val's goals for the M-100, to design a headphone that will "hold its own ground" in the competition, and I think the M-100 does very well when compared to other closed-back headphones. I ended my review with a kind of sour aftertaste because I was writing from the perspective of what a more traditional audiophile might have expected from a super-hyped headphone, when in reality, the M-100 is actually a very good headphone for what it's up against.

post #9392 of 20928
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


I'm thinking I should add something to my review regarding how the M-100's stack up to the other competition in the $300 range. That was actually one of Val's goals for the M-100, to design a headphone that will "hold its own ground" in the competition, and I think the M-100 does very well when compared to other closed-back headphones. I ended my review with a kind of sour aftertaste because I was writing from the perspective of what a more traditional audiophile might have expected from a super-hyped headphone, when in reality, the M-100 is actually a very good headphone for what it's up against.

It seemed relatively objetive to me, perhaps by the end of your review your negativity was just cancelling out your hype :p.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibemerchant View Post


+1 to that.
Initially (first week or so) the bass was overwhelming to me and I started to wonder if I made a misstake buying them, especially considering rock music. I was worried i'd have to buy an amp or equalizer.
But now a 'phone like the Momentum just sounds to 'flimsy' compared to the M-100, which feels like it presents music (every kind) with heft, so to speak. It's just heavy, massive fun, with the right kind of details to still be enjoyable when listening to jazz or rock. I'm enjoying this sound more and more, parlty because it makes music sound more like a live experience.
To Edd from Noblehifi: please don't be afriad to post your critical review here. I don't think anyone believes there is such a thing as the perfect headphone. It's listeners like you that keep the discussion going.
I'm sincerely interested though in how many days/weeks you had them before posting your review. From my experience, these have to grow on you, especially when you're expecting an 'audiophile', type of sound (with less emphasis on fun).
 
All I want is detail. Detail Detail DETAIL!
 
 
 

and bass.

post #9393 of 20928

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but how do the m 100s perform with lower bitrate mp3s? Most of my audio files are at least 320 or lossless, but sometimes its hard to get a high quality music files for less well known songs. i.e. Random Japanese anime OSTs for Gundam xD. Are these headphones super revealing or will they cut a bit of slack? 

 

Thanks, Darknet


Edited by Darknet - 11/12/12 at 1:46pm
post #9394 of 20928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknet View Post

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but how do the m 100s perform with lower bitrate mp3s? Most of my audio files are at least 320 or lossless, but sometimes its hard to get a high quality music files for less well known songs. i.e. Random Japanese anime OSTs for Gundam xD. Are these headphones super revealing or will they cut a bit of slack? 

 

Thanks, Darknet


TM Revolution's Invoke (192 kpbs) and Ignited (128 kbps), as well as Two-Mix's Just Communication and White Reflection (both at 128 kbps) songs sound OK with the M-100. I think the M-100's are a pretty forgivable headphone. They reveal more details than super-forgiving headphones (such as a Sennheiser CX300), but I think that's a good thing. Some sounds with lower bitrate songs might get a bit fatiguing though because there's a slightly emphasised upper-mids/lower-treble region with the M-100, but it's not too bad...I'm pretty sure most people here don't have 128 kbps files. XD

 

Man I miss Gundam Wing, hahahaha.


Edited by miceblue - 11/12/12 at 2:01pm
post #9395 of 20928

xD those were like the exact songs (well more SEED stuff, but that's not the point) I was listening to lol Gundam ftw, but thanks... well given that, I'm seriously considering getting them despite the fact that they cost $300 and I'm not particularly rich. :P

 

Thanks again lol, Darknet

post #9396 of 20928
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


I'm thinking I should add something to my review regarding how the M-100's stack up to the other competition in the $300 range. That was actually one of Val's goals for the M-100, to design a headphone that will "hold its own ground" in the competition, and I think the M-100 does very well when compared to other closed-back headphones. I ended my review with a kind of sour aftertaste because I was writing from the perspective of what a more traditional audiophile might have expected from a super-hyped headphone, when in reality, the M-100 is actually a very good headphone for what it's up against.

This statement holds a lot of weight with me. Its good to hear that these headphones are comparable to others in the price range.

Can you think of a pair of headphones that is far and above the competition in its price range and if so does the m-100 fit into this cetegory?

Anybody can answer that last question if they want.


Edited by plastic4000 - 11/12/12 at 2:33pm
post #9397 of 20928

Nice reviews.

 

I do have to say something though.

You say there are better headphones out there for home listening for 300 dollars and yes, you are right but what headphones could you get that are better at that price range that offer as much and are also fully portable, and can be powered perfectly fine without an amp?

 

You would probably have to buy two sets of headphones but I think personally this fun sound, should be very rewarding, as long as (and I'll see for myself when I get them) the bass doesn't mud the sound up all over.

 

Some impressions tell me the sound does sound muffled and others saying its clear and precise and punchy and offers a very wide sound stage.

 

Very hard to predict what they actually offer, but I will be seriously happy if the sound is as textured and detailed as.most say they are.

They will be my go to headphones for everything and everywhere. They will be the only headphones I will own.


Edited by musical-kage - 11/12/12 at 3:03pm
post #9398 of 20928

How do these compare against the Sennheiser HD 25 1-ii? I mean, they probably have different signatures but the sennheiser's are discounted to $140 at amazon so it's something i'd like to know

post #9399 of 20928
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical-kage View Post

They will be my go to headphones for everything and everywhere. They will be the only headphones I will own.

Careful, going into a purchase with overly high expectations often ends up with less-than-stellar results. Or at least so I've found in my experiences. redface.gif

 

Years ago I read about the greatness of the M50 right around when the craze took off, jumped on the bandwagon and found it to be a letdown, as I preferred my ATH-FC700s.

 

I've played with the LP, LP2 and the M-80 and still own the LP to this day, but in my personal opinion the V-Moda line I've heard so far isn't suited for use in every situation and every music genre.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical-kage View Post

 

I do have to say something though.

You say there are better headphones out there for home listening for 300 dollars and yes, you are right but what headphones could you get that are better at that price range that offer as much and are also fully portable, and can be powered perfectly fine without an amp?

 

For the price range ($~300), if I was only to have one headphone that matched the expectations you described, I'd go with the Sennheiser 598s, a pair of IEMs, or the Bose QC15. That's just me. Of course, your mileage may vary. But there are certainly options and flavors out there to please everyone that meet all of the requirements you just listed.

 

I'll definitely give the M100s a listen when they come out, but am still uncertain if they'll end up being a "buy and keep" from what I've been reading.  

post #9400 of 20928

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

How do these compare against the Sennheiser HD 25 1-ii? I mean, they probably have different signatures but the sennheiser's are discounted to $140 at amazon so it's something i'd like to know

There has already been plenty about this on the thread. I understand you don't want to go though all the pages though.

The M100s are meant to have a lower more powerful bass, a wider soundstage, and less shrill highs.

 

From reviews I've read, the HD 25 1-iis are very detailed but do aggreivate after a while due to the treble. That said, the answer is EQ and I see no problem using it to drop the treble down a bit.

 

For 140 dollars, they may be worth a punt. Are the M100s 160 dollars better? I don't know.

 

I don't think you would be disapointed though. The M100s do have better looks, and better materials.

post #9401 of 20928
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride View Post

Careful, going into a purchase with overly high expectations often ends up with less-than-stellar results. Or at least so I've found in my experiences. redface.gif

 

Years ago I read about the greatness of the M50 right around when the craze took off, jumped on the bandwagon and found it to be a letdown, as I preferred my ATH-FC700s.

 

I've played with the LP, LP2 and the M-80 and still own the LP to this day, but in my personal opinion the V-Moda line I've heard so far isn't suited for use in every situation and every music genre.

 

 

For the price range ($~300), if I was only to have one headphone that matched the expectations you described, I'd go with the Sennheiser 598s, a pair of IEMs, or the Bose QC15. That's just me. Of course, your mileage may vary. But there are certainly options and flavors out there to please everyone that meet all of the requirements you just listed.

 

I'll definitely give the M100s a listen when they come out, but am still uncertain if they'll end up being a "buy and keep" from what I've been reading.  

Thanks for the reply :)

I don't really like in ear headphones. Never have felt comfortable with them.

I own the PX100 iis and before that I owned the Koss Portapros but found the sound muddy in comparison to the PX100 is I owned before they broke.

If they are are detailed as the PX100s but punchier and more clear in the mids, I will be very happy.

 

The headphones I own now are my only set. I'd be looking for something to replace, not to own at the same time.

 

I've only ever owned open headphones though, so the closed sensation will be an interesting one

post #9402 of 20928
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic4000 View Post

This statement holds a lot of weight with me. Its good to hear that these headphones are comparable to others in the price range.

Can you think of a pair of headphones that is far and above the competition in its price range and if so does the m-100 fit into this cetegory?

Anybody can answer that last question if they want.

I can't think of any headphones at the moment, other than the HD650. From my experience, the HD650 is too warm for me, with not enough treble presence (AKA the "Sennheiser veil"), so even though the M-100's midrange is laid-back relative to the bass, I would still prefer it over the HD650.

 

I can't compare the M-100 to the HE-500 since I've only heard it when not properly amped, and it sounds like the SRH940, which is completely different in sound from the M-100.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical-kage View Post

Nice reviews.

 

I do have to say something though.

You say there are better headphones out there for home listening for 300 dollars and yes, you are right but what headphones could you get that are better at that price range that offer as much and are also fully portable, and can be powered perfectly fine without an amp?

 

You would probably have to buy two sets of headphones but I think personally this fun sound, should be very rewarding, as long as (and I'll see for myself when I get them) the bass doesn't mud the sound up all over.

 

Some impressions tell me the sound does sound muffled and others saying its clear and precise and punchy and offers a very wide sound stage.

 

Very hard to predict what they actually offer, but I will be seriously happy if the sound is as textured and detailed as.most say they are.

They will be my go to headphones for everything and everywhere. They will be the only headphones I will own.

This is true, and I was going to add that in my review. For the price, I think the M-100 is amongst the best of portable headphones available in the market today.

 

I had a hard time deciding what to write about in my M-100 review since it's built to be a portable/mobile headphone, but at the same time, many audiophiles around Head-Fi are expecting it to be a more "audiophile-like" M-80, which in my opinion is not, considering the "fun" U-shaped sound signature. I've been mentioning this throughout my M-100 "journey" that the M-100 excels as a portable headphone, but is only OK for home listening (which is how most audiophiles listen to their headphones, on their desktop rigs).

 

 

 

And yes I've noticed that too. From the first time I listened to the M-100, I have always said that the soundstage seems deeper than wide. Perhaps the distortion of the M-100 causes this effect, but I'm not entirely sure. From my experience, the M-100's offer the deepest soundstage in a headphone, which may or may not be good. As I mentioned in my review, live concerts tend to have a stage that is limited in depth, but spacious in width.

 

As for the muffled sound, I think it's dependent on how much bass you're used to hearing in a track. When I first listened to the M-100, I thought the sounds were pretty muffled by the bass since I was coming from a, basically, bass anemic SRH940. Again, from a more traditional audiophile perspective, most "neutral" headphones have a quieter bass response so people might have the impression that the bass is really overpowering, and it does veil the midrange a bit as some have mentioned, especially for home listening. Couple that with a laid-back upper-treble response and you get the overall impression that things are muffled.

Bass lower-midrange upper-midrange lower-treble upper-treble

^ hence the U-shaped sound signature

 

In my opinion, the M-100's are well textured and detailed, but due to the laid back midrange and upper-treble, the resolution isn't as good as other headphones might offer (as in headphones with a forward midrange and more treble presence) at the same volume level.


Edited by miceblue - 11/12/12 at 3:33pm
post #9403 of 20928

Gah haha, thanks for the detailed reponse. I have no idea what to do.

Since my headphone experiences are rather limited, I don't really know what to expect, but I do know what sort of sound I'd want and some reviews make me go 'wow, yes, and others make me wonder if I'm making the right decision.

I'm glad you mentioned the Sennheiser sound being more veiled in mids because I would want an improvement in midrange.

 

Go for the M80s maybe and get less bass and less detailed highs? I honestly don't know.

 

Considering the drivers are bigger, they should be able to offer better clarity/detail and that seems true.

 

Bite the bullet and see I guess. I can't wait to make a video review :)

post #9404 of 20928

Woooah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah........not cool.

 

I was switching out my shields and I noticed this on 2 of the 6 sides of the right earcup.

700

 

700

^ different hex screw

 

Warning: do NOT tighten the hex screws too tightly!

 

Yes the cracking is due to screwing-in he hex screws too tightly. The cracks are not visible when there are no screws in the holes. :/

Ironically, in my shield-swapping video on YouTube, I mention that I don't want to screw-in the screws too tightly to avoid over-tapping the holes. >.>


Edited by miceblue - 11/12/12 at 5:05pm
post #9405 of 20928

For such 'indestructible' cans, these have quite a few nagging issues. Hopefully that doesn't happen to mine - I plan on being careful with them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.