Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 530

post #7936 of 21094
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

And to think we do this because we love music!

...blink.gif

I've been curious about it for a while now since joining Head-Fi. Some people think it exists and I'm not sure myself so I'll try it out now, now that I have a brand new pair of headphones. Tyll's article makes me skeptical that I will notice much of a difference in sound, yet so many people claim that there is a [sometimes huge] difference in sound after X hours of burn-in, or people often criticize reviews for a lack of "burn-in".

So therefore I'll do this "burn-in" period for many hours to prevent such criticism, find out if "burn-in" exists for me, and write an in-depth review of the M-100 after all of this. I've posted my initial impressions which I need to dig up again, so I'll have some notes to compare it to the "burned-in" M-100.

And by burn-in, I mean straight-up pink noise without having the M-100's on my head. Listening to headphones while "burning-in" seems contradictory to me since I think it's just you getting used to the headphone's sound. Not very many people post their process of burn-in, so I'm writing a log activity of the process. V-MODA suggests that "your headphones will sound their best after the ear cushions, headband and drivers naturally adjust". Before I let that happen, I want to test whether or not the drivers, not the headphone, change much after the burn-in process.
Edited by miceblue - 10/14/12 at 11:29pm
post #7937 of 21094
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton View Post

 

RE UK:

I am flying straight from RMAF Canjam -> UK TOMORROW to prep the launch!  It'll be out in the UK within the first few days that it launches, we also ship worldwide from V-MODA.com so you can pre-order there too and get customs and the extra goodies.

 

I missed out on the pre-purchase VTF-100 batch. From what you said above, it sounded like the pre-order M-100's will also be coming with custom plates/colors & the boom mic? Just confirming. (:

+Also+ Leave us updated here when pre-orders come available please!

post #7938 of 21094
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


I've been curious about it for a while now since joining Head-Fi. Some people think it exists and I'm not sure myself so I'll try it out now, now that I have a brand new pair of headphones. Tyll's article makes me skeptical that I will notice much of a difference in sound, yet so many people claim that there is a [sometimes huge] difference in sound after X hours of burn-in, or people often criticize reviews for a lack of "burn-in".
So therefore I'll do this "burn-in" period for many hours to prevent such criticism, find out if "burn-in" exists for me, and write an in-depth review of the M-100 after all of this. I've posted my initial impressions which I need to dig up again, so I'll have some notes to compare it to the "burned-in" M-100.
And by burn-in, I mean straight-up pink noise without having the M-100's on my head. Listening to headphones while "burning-in" seems contradictory to me since I think it's just you getting used to the headphone's sound. Not very many people post their process of burn-in, so I'm writing a log activity of the process. V-MODA suggests that "your headphones will sound their best after the ear cushions, headband and drivers naturally adjust". Before I let that happen, I want to test whether or not the drivers, not the headphone, change much after the burn-in process.

 

In owning a few dozen enthusiast-targeted headphones, I've experienced definitive signs of burn-in to varying degrees.  I've gone both the hands-off and box-to-head routes.  Through either scenario, I've found my concluding opinions to be no less valid.

 

I suppose that assessing through box-to-head is somewhat depending on experience, but maintaining a constant counterpoint does help.  For my M-100 trials, I'm doing a mix of listening and on-the-rack burn-in with the K550 as my point of comparison.

post #7939 of 21094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly21029 View Post

 

In owning a few dozen enthusiast-targeted headphones, I've experienced definitive signs of burn-in to varying degrees.  I've gone both the hands-off and box-to-head routes.  Through either scenario, I've found my concluding opinions to be no less valid.

 

I suppose that assessing through box-to-head is somewhat depending on experience, but maintaining a constant counterpoint does help.  For my M-100 trials, I'm doing a mix of listening and on-the-rack burn-in with the K550 as my point of comparison.


I agree that burn-in may in fact impact some headphones more than others.  I have noticed very little if any change in the M-100s sound from unboxing until now.

post #7940 of 21094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly21029 View Post

 

In owning a few dozen enthusiast-targeted headphones, I've experienced definitive signs of burn-in to varying degrees.  I've gone both the hands-off and box-to-head routes.  Through either scenario, I've found my concluding opinions to be no less valid.

 

I suppose that assessing through box-to-head is somewhat depending on experience, but maintaining a constant counterpoint does help.  For my M-100 trials, I'm doing a mix of listening and on-the-rack burn-in with the K550 as my point of comparison.

 

+1. I've owned and heard quite a few headphones and I feel the operative phrase there is "varying degrees". Some take more time than others, some change more than others. Only one other factor I'd add is that about burn-in is that at least in my experience, none had been night or day changes. Of all the burn-in experiences I've heard, the fundamental signature is there right out of the box. The rest of the burn-in had been just tightening up the basses, smoother trebles, wider soundstage, etc.

 

One other factor that Val himself believes in especially in the V-Moda headphones is padding moulding to the shape of ones head (for circumaural) or ears (for supra-aural). This kind of burn-in requires wearing the headphones more regularly. I personally and definitively agree or disagree with this 'cos my music is playing when my headphones are on my head - I'm not in the habit of putting them on with no music then later compare to see if music's improved. However theoretically I can see some logic to what Val says.

post #7941 of 21094
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSoElmo View Post

 

I missed out on the pre-purchase VTF-100 batch. From what you said above, it sounded like the pre-order M-100's will also be coming with custom plates/colors & the boom mic? Just confirming. (:

+Also+ Leave us updated here when pre-orders come available please!

these people are selling them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/7920#post_8779896

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/7905#post_8778218

not too sure if they still are or not.

post #7942 of 21094
I wore my Crossfade LPs a few times with the cable unplugged, just to quiet some ambient noises. I don't think I'd wear my open headphones just for kicks though, unless I was taking pictures of them.

I hope that the treble on my Q701s settles a bit, but it's usually not a problem. I'll probably just get used to it before burn-in changes anything, either that or improvements in amping are more likely to make the difference before burn-in will, IMO.

Still can't find my LPs. Maybe I should inquire at the bank where I was last showing them off, people forget all kinds of things. When I worked at a Panera Bread, I was shocked at how many car keys we had in our lost and found!
post #7943 of 21094
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton View Post
RE UK:

I am flying straight from RMAF Canjam -> UK TOMORROW to prep the launch!  It'll be out in the UK within the first few days that it launches, we also ship worldwide from V-MODA.com so you can pre-order there too and get customs and the extra goodies.

If anyone knows what these extra goodies are please let me know! 

post #7944 of 21094

I ordered the cheapest shipping, that means "no tracking" is an untrackable package? Or are my hp's in LA still? 

They shipped out on the 8th..

post #7945 of 21094

Hey what's up everyone, haven't been on here in a while. So how do they sound to you guys, and do you know when the MPU's will be available? Still kicking myself for missing out on the VTF pre orders.

post #7946 of 21094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

I wore my Crossfade LPs a few times with the cable unplugged, just to quiet some ambient noises. I don't think I'd wear my open headphones just for kicks though, unless I was taking pictures of them.
I hope that the treble on my Q701s settles a bit, but it's usually not a problem. I'll probably just get used to it before burn-in changes anything, either that or improvements in amping are more likely to make the difference before burn-in will, IMO.
Still can't find my LPs. Maybe I should inquire at the bank where I was last showing them off, people forget all kinds of things. When I worked at a Panera Bread, I was shocked at how many car keys we had in our lost and found!

That's what happened to me with the SRH940. People say it's a very trebley headphone (Tyll pretty much hates it), but after you get used to it, it's a pretty amazing headphone for detail retrieval.

 

After the pink noise burn-in, I'll give it a listen and compare my observations to my initial impressions. After that, I'll wear my M-100's with no cable to let it "burn-in" in that aspect. Finally after that, I'll observe final impressions and write an in-depth review. Eliminating 1 variable at a time. XD

post #7947 of 21094

i dont know if someone asked yet but will these be available by December?

post #7948 of 21094
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardiantaco View Post

i dont know if someone asked yet but will these be available by December?

+1 to this question. I was totally sold for the M80, but now been thinking about getting the M100 as a christmas present to myself... as long as it is available, otherwise I couldn't wait!!

post #7949 of 21094

Notes:

 

+Although my intention has always been to assign the M-100 to (primarily) at-home duties, I brought it to work today.  The form factor when folded allows for convenient portability indeed.  Truly impressed.  Furthermore, they maintained their positioning whilst moving about and, while ever-present, they provided sufficient comfort.  I could see these leaving the house with me more often than I had originally planned, but the aesthetics do garner a lot of attention. (could be lessened with the Matte finish)  I handed them off to several co-workers and all were impressed with their apparent durability.

 

+/-Running directly out of my phone, the M-100 comfortably reached a nominal listening volume and supplied... good sonics.  However, it was apparent that pairing them with my Macbook Pro->AQ Dragonfly combo had yielded MUCH better performance in every distinguishable facet.  This was to be expected and the potential for scalability is an exciting prospect but, since many are looking to these primarily as a portable solution, my recommendation is leaning toward regarding complimentary amplification as a highly-recommended asset.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

+1. I've owned and heard quite a few headphones and I feel the operative phrase there is "varying degrees". Some take more time than others, some change more than others. Only one other factor I'd add is that about burn-in is that at least in my experience, none had been night or day changes. Of all the burn-in experiences I've heard, the fundamental signature is there right out of the box. The rest of the burn-in had been just tightening up the basses, smoother trebles, wider soundstage, etc.

 

Exactly.  Thank you for expanding on my statement.  Most changes are subtle, (hence the inherent debate of the subject) but burn-in can be nigh critical for some cans.  For me personally, listening to a newly purchased Ultrasone Edition 8 back-to-back with my well-worn pair provided the greatest "a ha!" moment.  The new addition was blatantly incoherent and bloated in presentation.  As the hours accrued the differences narrowed.  It was... educational.

 

Likewise, my M-100 has shown some (positive) evolution.  Separation is better, tonal rendering is tighter, and the upper midrange -- an area that I found to be surprisingly excited on first listen -- has become categorically more pleasant.


Edited by Curly21029 - 10/15/12 at 7:27pm
post #7950 of 21094

Any word when we'll be able to purchase the M-100's again?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.