Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 5

post #61 of 20972

I'm also gonna' be against the amp...  Although this is a full sized, it does seem more like it would be for a portable use.  Even if it isn't, many people (non-audiophiles) will assume since it is V-Moda that these will be portable cans.  The thing about portable is that, portable amps, although small on their own, can easily become a hassle with all the extra wires/cables sticking to and fro.  That's the main problem I see with portable amps.  It's not that I don't hear the improvements, it's just that the hassle isn't worth it.  Even further, the general public as well won't see an amp worth it (cause of the hassle).  Just my 2 cents.  V-Moda has already made a name for itself with it's portables and this concept of portables has already been attributed to their name as well.

post #62 of 20972
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

I'm also gonna' be against the amp...  Although this is a full sized, it does seem more like it would be for a portable use.  Even if it isn't, many people (non-audiophiles) will assume since it is V-Moda that these will be portable cans.  The thing about portable is that, portable amps, although small on their own, can easily become a hassle with all the extra wires/cables sticking to and fro.  That's the main problem I see with portable amps.  It's not that I don't hear the improvements, it's just that the hassle isn't worth it.  Even further, the general public as well won't see an amp worth it (cause of the hassle).  Just my 2 cents.  V-Moda has already made a name for itself with it's portables and this concept of portables has already been attributed to their name as well.


But if V-Moda wants to expand and please the audiophile market, don't they need to reach out to different segments of that community?  The great portables are nice, but surely V-Moda would like to add a nice and powerful workhorse-type of headphone to their lineup eventually.

 

That said, I have the Shure 940s, which seem fit the bill for me as a portable/desktop headphone hybrid that runs fine with or without an amp.  So, it's possible to do both at this price point, I guess...

 

post #63 of 20972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

So the price for VMODA's best sound currently sits at around $365, S&H, and a bulging pocket, according to Val, Amazon, and my jeans.

 

Val, I hope that I don't come off as overly critical; perhaps I am a bit harsh. If you do read this, it truly is generous and sincere of you to come to a place like a web forum yourself and take the time to hear our opinions. But you can't ask for it and not expect sincerity! wink_face.gif



 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post


But if V-Moda wants to expand and please the audiophile market, don't they need to reach out to different segments of that community?  The great portables are nice, but surely V-Moda would like to add a nice and powerful workhorse-type of headphone to their lineup eventually.

 

That said, I have the Shure 940s, which seem fit the bill for me as a portable/desktop headphone hybrid that runs fine with or without an amp.  So, it's possible to do both at this price point, I guess...

 


That was another point I was going to mention.

If it still sounds nice without an amp, I don't think many people would really notice. For example, my HFI-580's are easy to drive and already sound great w/o an amp. Many people are happy with the HFI-580 + iPhone setup.

With an amp, they sound even more astonishing!

 

post #64 of 20972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

confused_face.gif

 

It just sucks. $150 is a lot of money to some of us.

Coming from someone who is in the middle class and does not have a collection of High End headphones (as much as I wish I did) I know especially its a lot of money for me. But if I can get the perfect pair of cans that are perfect with most (if not all of) my music and if they are built to last longer than say 2-3 years then you have a sale.

 

I have been looking out to get some audiophile grade headphones for years but being as picky as I am I did not see anything with my standards until V-moda came to my sight. Portable, going out of their way for great audio, and greatly built for any mishap right down to having a replaceable cable. I was going to go out of my way for $200+ for the M-80's. But now I am going to go a little out of my way more for the M-100's for security in knowing they will be worth it for years to come until its time to upgrade.
 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurseBJ View Post

Idk, I believe at $300, a $65 amp wouldn't be such a bad dent. Again, if the M100 don't sound bad unamped, many consumers probably wouldn't care. For audiophiles, I would think most people that want to spend $300 would already have a portable amp.

 

People are willing to pay $300 for extremely crappy Beats so I don't see why it's bad to pay $300 for M100's that will sound better than the beats w/o an amp, and MUCH better with an amp.

 

 

I don't see how amp size should be an issue. There are good affordable amps that are very portable.

amp00.jpg

 

I feel like, if people are penny-pinching for a product to the point where they wouldn't care that the product is NOT made to the best of its ability, then they should 1. Look elsewhere or 2. Wait for prices to come down 3. Buy it slightly used.



 

I agree completely. Again I can understand where some are coming from on many angles. But why mess with a good thing? Nothing is perfect, but if I can get the perfect experience yet out of a pair of cans with the sacrifice being an amp needed and/or the price then I would gladly accept it. That is just my opinion however.

post #65 of 20972


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post


But if V-Moda wants to expand and please the audiophile market, don't they need to reach out to different segments of that community?  The great portables are nice, but surely V-Moda would like to add a nice and powerful workhorse-type of headphone to their lineup eventually.

 

That said, I have the Shure 940s, which seem fit the bill for me as a portable/desktop headphone hybrid that runs fine with or without an amp.  So, it's possible to do both at this price point, I guess...

 



My point exactly, V-moda started reaching out to real audiophiles with the m-80 (imho), it would be great to see them go even deeper into the audiophile area with a, like you said, "powerful workhorse-type of headphone."

 

People keep talking about consumer appeal and large group appeal but I thought that was what the LP series was for where the M series brought more balance and audiophile grade sound.

 

Also I'm from a very poor family that has worked into the middle class and I'm now in college (like a few of you mentioned as well) and I'm doing dual majors electrical engineering and economics so I understand the issue with money; however, I have found many ways to make a couple bucks when I need and just recently I did some gear trading and ended up with a $800 profit so now I have some cash to spend. (Only going to spend about half because I'm not stupid, only half stupid haha)


Edited by Jzbass25 - 1/31/12 at 7:40pm
post #66 of 20972

As long as the M-100s sound great unamped, and then go on to scale amazingly amped - all I see is a win-win here. I see V-MODA expanding their horizons. And who knows, maybe they'll come out with an uber-portable amp themselves wink.gif 

 

Check this link out and scroll down. There's no photo of it, but it looks like the definition of 'portable amp' is going to be redefined. Looking forward to what else they have up their sleeves.

 

post #67 of 20972
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

As long as the M-100s sound great unamped, and then go on to scale amazingly amped - all I see is a win-win here. I see V-MODA expanding their horizons. And who knows, maybe they'll come out with an uber-portable amp themselves wink.gif

 

Check this link out and scroll down. There's no photo of it, but it looks like the definition of 'portable amp' is going to be redefined. Looking forward to what else they have up their sleeves.

 


 

I am hoping they will also come out with a Non-iphone version amp for us to use. By the sound of it they made a special amp designed to be small enough but still have power behind it. Making it a iphone case just elegantly integrates it all together without any problems. Again though, as someone that does not have a iphone along with others, would like to see a universal version.

post #68 of 20972
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

As long as the M-100s sound great unamped, and then go on to scale amazingly amped - all I see is a win-win here. I see V-MODA expanding their horizons. And who knows, maybe they'll come out with an uber-portable amp themselves wink.gif

 

Check this link out and scroll down. There's no photo of it, but it looks like the definition of 'portable amp' is going to be redefined. Looking forward to what else they have up their sleeves.

 


I would snap up that amp in a second! I imagine a hard-shell, amp/charger connected via the 30-pin dock connector similar to Mophie products. Sounds like a great solution!

 

post #69 of 20972
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsquared View Post


I would snap up that amp in a second! I imagine a hard-shell, amp/charger connected via the 30-pin dock connector similar to Mophie products. Sounds like a great solution!

 



+1, I have never liked the sound quality of my iPhone, I'm still regretting selling my Sony X (Twice).

post #70 of 20972

Probably not physically viable, but having one of the shields/plates as the amp could be epic.

Not sure how big the M100's are going to be but if there's any leeway... wink.gif

or add a little bit more bulk to it.

post #71 of 20972
So there is already a portable amp designed for it? Well I guess that's game over for the no amp camp; clearly the table is set for the M100 being only for ri h people with iPhones. Its really cool stuff, wish I had the money for it...

I'm sorry maybe I'm being bitter but that's just lame man. "I'm going to upsell you on a new product! Oh, but you have to buy my other specialty product to use it, and only with this other ridiculously expensive product!" Don't get me wrong, its really cool, but it's the kind of product incest that, funny enough, Apple is infamous for. And that's always been a strategy I hate and can see nothing but pure greed in. Count me out of buying VMODA products...Val I gotta hand it to you, you do some pretty cool stuff, but it just feels like you're playing for the wrong team; don't know how else to say it.

Everyone with an iPhone and a platinum credit card have fun now smily_headphones1.gif
post #72 of 20972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

So there is already a portable amp designed for it? Well I guess that's game over for the no amp camp; clearly the table is set for the M100 being only for ri h people with iPhones. Its really cool stuff, wish I had the money for it...
I'm sorry maybe I'm being bitter but that's just lame man. "I'm going to upsell you on a new product! Oh, but you have to buy my other specialty product to use it, and only with this other ridiculously expensive product!" Don't get me wrong, its really cool, but it's the kind of product incest that, funny enough, Apple is infamous for. And that's always been a strategy I hate and can see nothing but pure greed in. Count me out of buying VMODA products...Val I gotta hand it to you, you do some pretty cool stuff, but it just feels like you're playing for the wrong team; don't know how else to say it.
Everyone with an iPhone and a platinum credit card have fun now smily_headphones1.gif


#1 - Has Val actually confirmed any of this?  Maybe you should wait for his official word before throwing these kinds of statements out there.

 

#2 - If he does produce a headphone that requires an amp to reach its full potential, how does that make V-moda any different from all the other headphone companies out there?  They make different headphones designed for specific audiences, and maybe you won't be the target for this one.  So be it.  Where's the crime in that?  And, V-moda offering a portable amp for their headphone doesn't mean you have to buy that specific amp.  There are tons of amps from tons of companies that will do the job.  Sounds pretty non-apple like to me.
 

 

post #73 of 20972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

So there is already a portable amp designed for it? Well I guess that's game over for the no amp camp; clearly the table is set for the M100 being only for ri h people with iPhones. Its really cool stuff, wish I had the money for it...
I'm sorry maybe I'm being bitter but that's just lame man. "I'm going to upsell you on a new product! Oh, but you have to buy my other specialty product to use it, and only with this other ridiculously expensive product!" Don't get me wrong, its really cool, but it's the kind of product incest that, funny enough, Apple is infamous for. And that's always been a strategy I hate and can see nothing but pure greed in. Count me out of buying VMODA products...Val I gotta hand it to you, you do some pretty cool stuff, but it just feels like you're playing for the wrong team; don't know how else to say it.
Everyone with an iPhone and a platinum credit card have fun now smily_headphones1.gif


Dude, I think you're basing your criticisms mostly off of the speculation here on this thread without there being any extant physical product from V-MODA. I just think you're getting all worked up over something that is still in the works. Don't count it out till it is actually released and you have some real evidence upon which to base your opinion (which to me does not include the questions by Val about how it should sound--he's trying his best to make it sound great and stay affordable for everyone!).

 

BTW, the product was always going to be $299+tax, so why did you wait till now to get all huffy about the price?  Is it just because there's a possibility that to make the product sound 110% we might think about buying an amp, as opposed to 95% fantastic un-amped? I think you're being a bit unreasonable in this regard. You mostly likely won't HAVE to buy an amp to get a great sound out of the M-100. It's not like V-MODA is offering what could be a stellar headphone only to say, "Now to make any sound come out you need our proprietary software, our own PMP, and our own special cables (like Apple does a lot of the time, e.g. Thunderbolt, Magsafe, 30-pin dock connector)." Most folks will probably not think the M-100 sounds bad un-amped, but audiophiles and music junkies will benefit by amping, so great. 

 

Sorry to rant, and I hope I didn't offend, but I felt like I needed to give a little perspective here.

 

Peace!

 

post #74 of 20972
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsquared View Post



Dude, I think you're basing your criticisms mostly off of the speculation here on this thread without there being any extant physical product from V-MODA. I just think you're getting all worked up over something that is still in the works. Don't count it out till it is actually released and you have some real evidence upon which to base your opinion (which to me does not include the questions by Val about how it should sound--he's trying his best to make it sound great and stay affordable for everyone!).

BTW, the product was always going to be $299+tax, so why did you wait till now to get all huffy about the price?  Is it just because there's a possibility that to make the product sound 110% we might think about buying an amp, as opposed to 95% fantastic un-amped? I think you're being a bit unreasonable in this regard. You mostly likely won't HAVE to buy an amp to get a great sound out of the M-100. It's not like V-MODA is offering what could be a stellar headphone only to say, "Now to make any sound come out you need our proprietary software, our own PMP, and our own special cables (like Apple does a lot of the time, e.g. Thunderbolt, Magsafe, 30-pin dock connector)." Most folks will probably not think the M-100 sounds bad un-amped, but audiophiles and music junkies will benefit by amping, so great. 

Sorry to rant, and I hope I didn't offend, but I felt like I needed to give a little perspective here.

Peace!

Hey DJ I appreciate the response. I actually have picked a bone previously with the price, over in the M80 thread. I know this is all still speculation, but the way things are going seems pretty obvious to me. Val has openly voiced his eagerness at the prospect of the M100s requiring an amp, multiple times even, and I'm certain they wouldn't release an amp without reason; no other headphone manufacturer has jumped on that train, even those whose phones do require amping.

I'm not trying to say Val is a scammer or a fraud, but this path of development I see just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. After seeing all the great reviews of the M80, I was dreaming of an over ear version, and when Val leaked the M100 I was sure I would be buying it. However now , after all of these unexpected twists, I feel rather led on and have no intention of buying into the hype which has gone far past being worth its asking price. Maybe I'm just bitching bitterly and Val is a hero to HiFi but really I just feel disappointed, and Val claims to come to Head Fi to get consumer input, so I am giving it to him.
post #75 of 20972

Hmm I wonder if that website heard him wrong on the headphone amp, I know Val uses the VentureCraft GoDap (by his sig) and that is exactly what they described. An iphone case that is a battery/headphone amp.

 

Here is the more expensive 4s version http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_en/gd04.php

 

edit: I had to do a quick response, I feel like you are being slightly unreasonable, Val tells us about a product that he is designing but still making large decisions on and you created expectations for it off of speculation, ideas and Val trying to get ideas for what direction he should go. Now you feel led on because possibly your expectations were wrong? That is all on you it seems, no disrespect though. If V-moda was to say "M-100 is to be an in ear with blah blah and blah blah." Then I would say ok, their choice I will pass on this product and pick up the m-80 or wait for the next one!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post


Hey DJ I appreciate the response. I actually have picked a bone previously with the price, over in the M80 thread. I know this is all still speculation, but the way things are going seems pretty obvious to me. Val has openly voiced his eagerness at the prospect of the M100s requiring an amp, multiple times even, and I'm certain they wouldn't release an amp without reason; no other headphone manufacturer has jumped on that train, even those whose phones do require amping.
I'm not trying to say Val is a scammer or a fraud, but this path of development I see just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. After seeing all the great reviews of the M80, I was dreaming of an over ear version, and when Val leaked the M100 I was sure I would be buying it. However now , after all of these unexpected twists, I feel rather led on and have no intention of buying into the hype which has gone far past being worth its asking price. Maybe I'm just bitching bitterly and Val is a hero to HiFi but really I just feel disappointed, and Val claims to come to Head Fi to get consumer input, so I am giving it to him.


 


Edited by Jzbass25 - 2/1/12 at 7:05am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.