Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1411

post #21151 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence View Post

Dragonfly? 3 words. Overpriced overhyped junk. I mean, their cables are decent, but the soundcards are junk. You could save the money for a high end DAC instead of being stuck with a terrible USB stick. The way I 'be an audiophile' is to buy a new mid range product (when I got into iems I got the Shure SE215) and then I jumped straight into the high end. No point buying dragonfly, it's the purchase you'll like for a while then you'll find a much better product and regret buying it, depends on your current set up if you'll even like it to start off with.
lol I disagree with the general gist. I think there are many stellar sub-$200 price point dacs (with the dragonfly 1.0 being one of them). I am sure the 1.2 is also great, but I have not heard em. The sonic differences between those and "high-end" $400+ dacs are not as large as as it may sound from people's impressions here from my personal experience.

Honestly though, @Gamingmusiclove
, you will be much much better served not even bothering getting a dac and spending your entire budget on headphones. If you are buying a V-moda other than the M100, you should just get the M100 + XL pads instead of the LP/LP2/M80/XS + a dac. The sound would be better. If you are already considering the M100, I would still recommend not wasting your money on a dac over $100. the sonic improvements are marginal compared for the price (from my personal experience), especially for a pair of mid-fi headphones like the V-Modas that do not really scale up that much.
Screw that haha. Don't even bother with headphones. Jump straight to IEMs. The only difference is sonically and soundstage, but I have the Shure SE215ltd for electronic / exercise and the AudioFly AF180 as a headphone replacement. I have the XS/LP2/M-100 but won't use them as much now I use IEMs. The difference in sound is amazing.

People get it wrong. DACs aren't to increase sound quality, they're to increase the clarity of sound. No point amping a perfectly clear quad armature IEM, but there's always gain in a cleaner source. That's why I wouldn't go with the Verza or any portable DAC to be honest, I'd jump for something like the X5 or iBasso DX90, all you need is a good DAP (iPhone is decent tbh) and a good headphone. People who cart around an amp are missing out on the main purpose of portable audio -- to be portable. That's why I use M-100s only in the house and my AF180s / SE215ltd's outside. You just need a good DAP and good earphones.
Edited by Existence - 10/19/14 at 7:44pm
post #21152 of 21165

I just posted my early-edition M-100s (VTF-100) for sale on the For Sale forum. Check 'em out! http://www.head-fi.org/t/739033/v-moda-m-100-vtf-100-one-of-the-first-150-ever-sold-with-a-bunch-of-extras-excellent-condition

post #21153 of 21165
Thanks a lot to everyone! I agree that maybe i dont need a dac for them, but in a close future i might buy some headphones to pair the m100. i only plan to buy the m100, but later im thinking in buying some beyer (mainly the t70) so having a dac would be nice. all of this aside, i really need a DAP. i was thinking about the x5, but since the m 100 would be my main headphone, i want them to pair well. @kyuuketsuki, im really glad you mentioned the nexus 5, thats exactly the same phone i have, hearing you say that it sounds great with them, im more than happy.
post #21154 of 21165

Honestly for each of my headphones it is slightly different. The M-100s are of the most forgiving in regards to source. While I'd still rate it J3/Arrow 4G > N5 >= Clip Zip, the difference between the three without augmentation (EQ or the amp based treble/bass boosts) is pretty negligible (but not wholly unnoticeable). I basically only use my J3 now for long trips where I know I'll be without a charge on my phone for a while.

 

My Koss KSC75s are actually among the LEAST forgiving to source. They sound pretty terrible out of the Clip Zip and sound only manageable from the N5. The Arrow makes them sing though.

 

My in ears get a bit interesting. My Shure 215s sound prety much equal through all three. ASG-2s do well with a bit of added power from the Arrow, but do extremely well from the N5 and even Clip. And my Rockets just sound good from all three, but surprisingly scale really well... just not portable. By that I mean that the DAC makes more of a difference than power. BUT power does help somewhat. It is just that they sound good at moderate volume from everything.  

 

Really it is all relative though. The M-100s are pretty forgiving throught though. They were meant to be portable phones from the getgo so they work well across many sources. 

 

My N5 is getting more play time than anything else right now though. My Clip to begin with was only for workouts and quick tunes when my J3 was out of commission for long trips. 

post #21155 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

Honestly for each of my headphones it is slightly different. The M-100s are of the most forgiving in regards to source. While I'd still rate it J3/Arrow 4G > N5 >= Clip Zip, the difference between the three without augmentation (EQ or the amp based treble/bass boosts) is pretty negligible (but not wholly unnoticeable). I basically only use my J3 now for long trips where I know I'll be without a charge on my phone for a while.

My Koss KSC75s are actually among the LEAST forgiving to source. They sound pretty terrible out of the Clip Zip and sound only manageable from the N5. The Arrow makes them sing though.

My in ears get a bit interesting. My Shure 215s sound prety much equal through all three. ASG-2s do well with a bit of added power from the Arrow, but do extremely well from the N5 and even Clip. And my Rockets just sound good from all three, but surprisingly scale really well... just not portable. By that I mean that the DAC makes more of a difference than power. BUT power does help somewhat. It is just that they sound good at moderate volume from everything.  

Really it is all relative though. The M-100s are pretty forgiving throught though. They were meant to be portable phones from the getgo so they work well across many sources. 

My N5 is getting more play time than anything else right now though. My Clip to begin with was only for workouts and quick tunes when my J3 was out of commission for long trips. 
Anything with a quad armature can either smash the source or just reveal its weaknesses.
post #21156 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence View Post


Try WD40? Might get rid of the friction and suction that's making it get stuck, but it could damage the headphone. What if you plier it and then the heaphone doesn't work?

thanks guys! I'm gonna give a shot...I feel like I'll destroy the port. Perhaps this is an excuse to save for the revolvers! :etysmile:

post #21157 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagik View Post
 

thanks guys! I'm gonna give a shot...I feel like I'll destroy the port. Perhaps this is an excuse to save for the revolvers! :etysmile:

lol... the revolvers. how many years has it been since those were first rumored to be in development?? hahah.

 

i just wouldn't hold my breath. =P

post #21158 of 21165

So my ATH M50s are most likely dead (due to borking the removable cable mod) so I'm in the market for new headphones.

 

I've heard these are pretty damn good. I'm not a hardcore audiophile but I did love the sound quality of the M50s, the clarity of music was sublime although I wish it had a bit more oomph on the bass side (since I mainly listen to RnB, HIp Hop, also throw in electronica and chillout music)

 

My main usage is listening to music and watching YouTube/movie files off my phone when I'm travelling on public transport. Maybe once every so often at home watching a movie or playing on games.

 

Would these be a worthy upgrade? Is there going to be a possibility of a new version out soon as I'm aware the M100s have been out for a while now and I'm wondering whether a refresh is due?


Edited by chkenwing - 10/20/14 at 1:06am
post #21159 of 21165
I just want to say that the idea of "tuning" a DAC to sound good with a particular headphone is ass-backwards. There, I said it.
post #21160 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkenwing View Post
 

So my ATH M50s are most likely dead (due to borking the removable cable mod) so I'm in the market for new headphones.

 

I've heard these are pretty damn good. I'm not a hardcore audiophile but I did love the sound quality of the M50s, the clarity of music was sublime although I wish it had a bit more oomph on the bass side (since I mainly listen to RnB, HIp Hop, also throw in electronica and chillout music)

 

My main usage is listening to music and watching YouTube/movie files off my phone when I'm travelling on public transport. Maybe once every so often at home watching a movie or playing on games.

 

Would these be a worthy upgrade? Is there going to be a possibility of a new version out soon as I'm aware the M100s have been out for a while now and I'm wondering whether a refresh is due?

I went from the ATH M50s to the V-MODA M80s and was blown away. Got the M100 and was blown away again. The M100s are a huge upgrade. Much snappier transients, smoother treble and mids with more detail and a far more satisfying low end. I never loved the M50s, but used them for 5 years for anything I needed headphones for in a pinch. Now I use the M100s constantly and love it.

My favourite thing about the switch was not having to hear the 4khz region on the M50s any more and the satisfying bass.  

post #21161 of 21165
This is my audio trail.
Apple earphones -> Apple iPod classic earphones -> $100 senn earphones -> back to Apple -> fake beats -> LP2 -> M-100 -> XS -> SE215tld -> Audiofly AF180. The M-100 are okay, I guess. Depends. Headphones for me now have too much air and too much soundstage, but I still like them.
I love how you can change the sound of IEMs with tips.
I have a brand new XS for sale. I'm on the edge of selling my M-100, hmu if you're interested
Edited by Existence - 10/20/14 at 3:13am
post #21162 of 21165

Got these yesterday.Have to say i was disappointed by the sound quality. Bass isnt that good doesnt have that solid punch it just like pwhum pwhum not like thump. mids are ok but sound still wierd. Is this the soundstage thing when i watched youtube commentary and the sound was like some virtual surround sound  it just sounds wierd or do i have defect model. Im DJ so i use thse mainly for that but before these i used K267 and it has that thumping bass and very clear sound every way. Dont know is this normal for this product need to burn in if that helps. sry ****ty english

 

 

EDIT: Some tracks sound better than others(all tracks are buyed and HQ). Doesnt have that much difference with K267. I think these just need to burn in time.


Edited by Herkkusuu - Yesterday at 4:43 am
post #21163 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkenwing View Post
 

So my ATH M50s are most likely dead (due to borking the removable cable mod) so I'm in the market for new headphones.

 

I've heard these are pretty damn good. I'm not a hardcore audiophile but I did love the sound quality of the M50s, the clarity of music was sublime although I wish it had a bit more oomph on the bass side (since I mainly listen to RnB, HIp Hop, also throw in electronica and chillout music)

 

My main usage is listening to music and watching YouTube/movie files off my phone when I'm travelling on public transport. Maybe once every so often at home watching a movie or playing on games.

 

Would these be a worthy upgrade? Is there going to be a possibility of a new version out soon as I'm aware the M100s have been out for a while now and I'm wondering whether a refresh is due?

I went from ath-m50 to m100 last year and it was by far the best move I could have made.  They're like the m50 but better in every way, and the m50 was pretty good to begin with.

 

Was there chatter about Revolver?  Not really read much about it, is it suppose to be a new headphone?

post #21164 of 21165

I think the Revolver is on hold for now. The newest V-MODA headphones appear to be the M-100 and XS Master Editions.

post #21165 of 21165

The long ass cables of these headphones are a pain in the ass to be honest... Especially when I'm in the train, I gotta pull out my X1 along with the cable chaos. Do you guys know, if there is a shorter cable available? It IS annoying.

 

Edit: Just using the SpeakEasy cable now, since it's much shorter. A decent solution for my problem, I guess..


Edited by truthless - Yesterday at 1:37 pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.