or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1258

post #18856 of 22933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 



I have a friend who's giving up his M100 for Dr Dre Mixr's (not mine), he says I can swap headphones with him even if I do have a defect.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

 

First off, I feel for your friend. That was a really hard choice for me. If I was planning on listening to mostly hip hop I would have kept the Mixrs and given back the M100's. For the target demo, the Mixrs are dynamite. 

post #18857 of 22933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

There's a possibility that my M100's could be the result of this type of chart.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/55/500x1000px-LL-5523bc9d_LP2-FR.png

If it's true, I guess it's just my ears that aren't accustomed to the 4khz bump.

I believe you may be reading that incorrectly. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

That's an enormous dip in the 4khz area. Each vertical line in that region represents 1k. 4k is where an enormous drop starts, it's kind of on the edge where the dip has started good. In the area at and around 10khz is where the boost is.

 

The lows are in 10hz sections the mids are in 100hz sections and the highs are in 1khz sections on the chart.

 

post #18858 of 22933

Been auditioning a 32 ohm version of the DT 770 for about a week now to decide if I want to return the m-100 (which I've owned for a little under a month) and it's not looking good for the m-100. I truly love the m-100 and it certainly takes the cake in terms of portability, but I think the DT 770 offers the same sumptuous bass and addicting highs with a MUCH more open and spacious sound. This is probably simply due to the fact that the DT 700 has gigantic ear cups. But I can't get over the fact that the DT 770 sounds so airy for a closed can, or maybe I just crave a slightly brighter sound. They're both excellent, and the v-moda is perfect if portability is your primary concern, but the DT 770 sounds amazing and is $120 less.

 

post #18859 of 22933

If you like it, then that's good for you, but the DT770s were just weak to me. And if you try to up the bass on them, they start to distort like crazy. Everyone calls them bass-heavy, but they really aren't. Not by a long shot. Yeah, the sound is airier, but it's also a lot thinner. If you think the M100's sound too "meaty", then yes I would agree that the DT770's are a better choice for you. But no, the DT770's do not, by any stretch of the imagination, offer the same bass. They're not even CAPABLE of it. Take an EQ or an amp with bass boost on it and up the bass on the DT770's, turn up the volume. Enjoy your clipping, crackly sound. The M100's won't do that.

 

The sound signatures are just different, and that's where you'll prefer one to the other. The M100's are aggressive, they're up front, they pound your head in. The DT770's are open and fluid. They let the sound float. Portability and style aside, they just cannot hold a candle to the punch and crackle the M100's have. Like their name suggests, the M100 are a firecracker of a headphone. The DT770s are more like what I'd use for studio work. 

 

I've had mine for over a year and I'll be selling them to a friend fairly soon. They just aren't fun to listen to, aside from not being able to really take them out of the house.

 

 

Oh and cross your fingers you don't break the cable or the headphone jack on the DT770, because you can't just pick up a new one for $15, you gotta get a whole new pair of headphones.

post #18860 of 22933
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

If you like it, then that's good for you, but the DT770s were just weak to me. And if you try to up the bass on them, they start to distort like crazy. Everyone calls them bass-heavy, but they really aren't. Not by a long shot. Yeah, the sound is airier, but it's also a lot thinner. If you think the M100's sound too "meaty", then yes I would agree that the DT770's are a better choice for you. But no, the DT770's do not, by any stretch of the imagination, offer the same bass. They're not even CAPABLE of it. Take an EQ or an amp with bass boost on it and up the bass on the DT770's, turn up the volume. Enjoy your clipping, crackly sound. The M100's won't do that.

 

The sound signatures are just different, and that's where you'll prefer one to the other. The M100's are aggressive, they're up front, they pound your head in. The DT770's are open and fluid. They let the sound float. Portability and style aside, they just cannot hold a candle to the punch and crackle the M100's have. Like their name suggests, the M100 are a firecracker of a headphone. The DT770s are more like what I'd use for studio work. 

 

I've had mine for over a year and I'll be selling them to a friend fairly soon. They just aren't fun to listen to, aside from not being able to really take them out of the house.

 

 

Oh and cross your fingers you don't break the cable or the headphone jack on the DT770, because you can't just pick up a new one for $15, you gotta get a whole new pair of headphones.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except that I don't think the 32 ohm DT 770 sounds thin in comparison with the m-100. I don't know if it's the leather pads (as opposed to the velours), or the lower ohm rating, or what, but the sound isn't fragile to my ears. I previously owned the 250 ohm DT 770 with velour pads and did find them to have a bit of that "thin" sound you're describing.

 

There are certainly draw backs to the DT 770 in terms of portability, looks, and how easy it is to switch out parts, but even with those considerations the DT 770 is my personal favorite. Mind you, I still think the m-100 is a FABULOUS headphone, this is just my opinion, and I thought I'd share it for those who love their m-100 but want something a little airier.

post #18861 of 22933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andii View Post

I believe you may be reading that incorrectly. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

No, I believe you are correct. I did misread the graph. That rise is around 2.5 kHz, not 4 kHz. On the same hand, if you compare it with Tyll's measurements there is a similar rise at 2.5 kHz but it isn't as prominent. So I'm still not sure that the graph posted here is really M-100. Might be from a defective, might be from a counterfeit, might just be bad measurements.
post #18862 of 22933

I just got a pair yesterday, these headphones are great but need time put into them to sound like the way you want to.

 

The towel paper mod was quite useful in taming the bass and the use of an equalizer of quite good as well.

 

It's kind of unfortunate how the bass is so coloured. At least in terms of portable headphones they're well up there on the list.

post #18863 of 22933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semont View Post
 

I just got a pair yesterday, these headphones are great but need time put into them to sound like the way you want to.

 

The towel paper mod was quite useful in taming the bass and the use of an equalizer of quite good as well.

 

It's kind of unfortunate how the bass is so coloured. At least in terms of portable headphones they're well up there on the list.

 

The bass is kinda a big part of their appeal, LOL. I know I wouldn't have a pair if it was "tamed". 

 

It's not coloured, by the way. It's just got extra presence. Big difference. And it sounds beautiful.

post #18864 of 22933
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

It's not coloured, by the way. It's just got extra presence. Big difference. And it sounds beautiful.

Well, they're not neutral by any stretch, and "colored" means "not neutral", so.... smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, the bass presence is one of the most important features. But if you don't like it, or don't want so much of it all the time, then try a tape mod on the bass ports.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/18225#post_10201034
post #18865 of 22933

Haha, well I understand they do sound good. I was actually considering the LP2 since I heard they weren't as bassy as the original LPs but once I tried them at the store, I was just turned off by the amount of bass it had. I'm just too used to my more neutral sounding HD280.

 

After two hours trying on headphones, I decided on the M-100 (I also had the opportunity to purchase a M-80 for $100 since they were a used pair (6 months)) since the separation between the highs, mids and lows was quite significant. I wanted a more bassy pair of headphones but I prefer the impact of bass rather than the sound of it. The M-100 does deliver however I have to tone down the bass or I start hearing too much of it. I also wanted a headphone that was highly portable since I transit quite often and HD280s were quite heavy and prone to fall off my head especially with the heavy coiled cable.

 

I think the biggest issue is really the amount of money I spent there; I initially had a 200-250 dollar budget and I went and spent 300 instead. The dealer decided to throw in a free Fiio E6 so that was pretty nice as well but still the buyer's remorse is kicking in.

 

Oh, and as for my EQ, this is how mine is looking so far. I spent a fair amount of time starting at the frequency chart and tuning it. I know there's a EQ guide out there but I can't get it working on Foobar.

 

http://puu.sh/7fkY1.png (sorry, I'm a new member so I can't directly put up a picture)

 

The bass used to be tuned lower but the paper towel mod did a great job at muffling the driver holes and increasing the distance between the driver and the ear.

post #18866 of 22933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post


Well, they're not neutral by any stretch, and "colored" means "not neutral", so.... smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, the bass presence is one of the most important features. But if you don't like it, or don't want so much of it all the time, then try a tape mod on the bass ports.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/18225#post_10201034

 

Ah, to me "coloured" means it actually changes the character of the sound, not just "up or down on the response curve". My mistake.

post #18867 of 22933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semont View Post
 

I think the biggest issue is really the amount of money I spent there; I initially had a 200-250 dollar budget and I went and spent 300 instead. The dealer decided to throw in a free Fiio E6 so that was pretty nice as well but still the buyer's remorse is kicking in.

 

Haha, I did something similar. Picked up Monster DNA's for $150, then slowly started transitioning upward to the M100's, and now with custom shields and the XL pads I've spent over $400 on these things.

post #18868 of 22933

I've got a pair of DNAs too!

Now if only I can find a buyer around my area..

 

Oh and how is the burn in on the m-100's? I've heard it's not very significant but right now I'm pretty much leaving them on high volume even when I'm not around to listen to them.

 

I've also heard the XL earpads makes the sound more balancedl; I hope it's true because I've already ordered them xD

post #18869 of 22933

Right so I forgot to update, swapped for my friends M100's. All good. Smoother trebles, that's about it.

Because that's how I like my M100's, same mids, same bass. Now off to ruin this pair and bump the bass to +40db again :D

P.S. Semont, if you're still reading this. The mids stay the same, the soundstage widens (like every headphones), bass gets more "solid" but not more in terms of quantity. Treble also tames and becomes a bit more what it's supposed to look like on the graphs.


Edited by Nec3 - 3/1/14 at 4:01pm
post #18870 of 22933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post

hey guys i'm debating on finally commiting to my first vmoda purchase

but i have a couple of questions, 

1) i Know there was much debate on the standard pads or the xl pads, but i'm curious if anyone here tried the m100 and the sennheiser momentum (i don't own the mommentum but i did try them out at the local futureshop, it was very snug for me (the pair looked very old and grimy so that could be a factor. Cause if i were to get an over ear it better be an over the ear

2) i was debating between the m100 or the xs (i know it hasn't come out yet, but assuming it sounds exactly like the m80) would it be appropriate for commuting (just busing and subway (the subways here in toronto aren't as loud as say the nyc) wondering if the extra bass on the m100s could mitigate the ambient noise. (i'm coming from the monster turbines which are iems but comparing my listening test at home to on the subway, the bass was less prominent on the subway > when listening in my quiet home, so i'm assuming the m100s would do the same)

3) sorry one more question, i like my mids though and it seems like the mids on the m100 are recessed. (for example i love the mids on my gr07 be, and my re400) but i also own the jvc fx80 (which have recessed mids, and vocals sound very unnatural to me, and makes everything seem to electronic, good for some genres but not others)

thanks everyone, i think i would like the xs/m80 sound signature because it seems like they have neutral profile but with a bit of bump in the bass and seemly forwards mids (sounds like the md1r which i listened to and liked very much) and they are small and portable. but if the m100s actually provide a completely revolutionary experience i might be down to try (its 300$ so not cheap, i hope you guys understand)

the only other experience with over ears are with the monoprice 8323 (that i actually owned) the rest i just listened to maybe 15 minutes at shops and the only on ears i own are the noontec zoros (which the lack of isolation makes the  seemingly neutral bass is basically anemic in moderately noisy environments)
The XS is on ear. The M100 is over ear. Think of it like a Bose Quietcomfort on ear and a Quietcomfort over ear. They're the same thing - but the over ear is better for isolation and sound.

I've tried the momentum sand had my m100s for a year. The momentum shave crisp highs and sound clean, but nothing in that area of headphones compares.
Any headphone in a store is there to make you buy it. Momentums are an exception, but I'd rather buy the M100 over the momentum any day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.