Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1257

post #18841 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andii View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

 

Just learned about thing thing. Pairs up well with the M100's does it? I read it can go into an iPhone 5s...
It does pair well. The smooth detailed sound of the M100s fed with a DAC that clean and an amp with that much muscle behind it is quite an experience.


The microstreamer is powered from your device's battery, it does drain it noticeably. When it comes to portable use I would have to say something with an internal battery might be better solely because of that even though I've read the microstreamer has a slight edge in fidelity over some of the internal battery wielding DACs in that price range. When I ran it off of my phone I got about 4 hours of play time, which isn't so bad if you can charge after your 4 hour listening session. The phone playing back music without running the microstreamer plays so long I don't have a number. I don't use it mobile any more though because the latest android update seems to have killed external DAC support on my S3. frown.gif I miss that feature dearly.
Even the FiiO E17, the basic 'starter amp' sounds squeaky clean with the M100s. It makes it better as well, which is a surprise since the m100s are hard to amp.
post #18842 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence View Post


Even the FiiO E17, the basic 'starter amp' sounds squeaky clean with the M100s. It makes it better as well, which is a surprise since the m100s are hard to amp.


hard to amp? why? because theyre efficient?

post #18843 of 20803

hey guys i'm debating on finally commiting to my first vmoda purchase

 

but i have a couple of questions, 

 

1) i Know there was much debate on the standard pads or the xl pads, but i'm curious if anyone here tried the m100 and the sennheiser momentum (i don't own the mommentum but i did try them out at the local futureshop, it was very snug for me (the pair looked very old and grimy so that could be a factor. Cause if i were to get an over ear it better be an over the ear

 

2) i was debating between the m100 or the xs (i know it hasn't come out yet, but assuming it sounds exactly like the m80) would it be appropriate for commuting (just busing and subway (the subways here in toronto aren't as loud as say the nyc) wondering if the extra bass on the m100s could mitigate the ambient noise. (i'm coming from the monster turbines which are iems but comparing my listening test at home to on the subway, the bass was less prominent on the subway > when listening in my quiet home, so i'm assuming the m100s would do the same)

 

3) sorry one more question, i like my mids though and it seems like the mids on the m100 are recessed. (for example i love the mids on my gr07 be, and my re400) but i also own the jvc fx80 (which have recessed mids, and vocals sound very unnatural to me, and makes everything seem to electronic, good for some genres but not others)

 

thanks everyone, i think i would like the xs/m80 sound signature because it seems like they have neutral profile but with a bit of bump in the bass and seemly forwards mids (sounds like the md1r which i listened to and liked very much) and they are small and portable. but if the m100s actually provide a completely revolutionary experience i might be down to try (its 300$ so not cheap, i hope you guys understand)

 

the only other experience with over ears are with the monoprice 8323 (that i actually owned) the rest i just listened to maybe 15 minutes at shops and the only on ears i own are the noontec zoros (which the lack of isolation makes the  seemingly neutral bass is basically anemic in moderately noisy environments)


Edited by Tom22 - 2/28/14 at 8:20am
post #18844 of 20803
I traded away my Momentums for the m100 and couldn't be happier. The Momentums were not over ear to me but the m100 is. I definitely recommend the XL pads though.
post #18845 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

hey guys i'm debating on finally commiting to my first vmoda purchase

 

but i have a couple of questions, 

 

1) i Know there was much debate on the standard pads or the xl pads, but i'm curious if anyone here tried the m100 and the sennheiser momentum (i don't own the mommentum but i did try them out at the local futureshop, it was very snug for me (the pair looked very old and grimy so that could be a factor. Cause if i were to get an over ear it better be an over the ear

 

2) i was debating between the m100 or the xs (i know it hasn't come out yet, but assuming it sounds exactly like the m80) would it be appropriate for commuting (just busing and subway (the subways here in toronto aren't as loud as say the nyc) wondering if the extra bass on the m100s could mitigate the ambient noise. (i'm coming from the monster turbines which are iems but comparing my listening test at home to on the subway, the bass was less prominent on the subway > when listening in my quiet home, so i'm assuming the m100s would do the same)

 

3) sorry one more question, i like my mids though and it seems like the mids on the m100 are recessed. (for example i love the mids on my gr07 be, and my re400) but i also own the jvc fx80 (which have recessed mids, and vocals sound very unnatural to me, and makes everything seem to electronic, good for some genres but not others)

 

thanks everyone, i think i would like the xs/m80 sound signature because it seems like they have neutral profile but with a bit of bump in the bass and seemly forwards mids (sounds like the md1r which i listened to and liked very much) and they are small and portable. but if the m100s actually provide a completely revolutionary experience i might be down to try (its 300$ so not cheap, i hope you guys understand)

 

the only other experience with over ears are with the monoprice 8323 (that i actually owned) the rest i just listened to maybe 15 minutes at shops and the only on ears i own are the noontec zoros (which the lack of isolation makes the  seemingly neutral bass is basically anemic in moderately noisy environments)

 

1) I had the momentums for a while - they are much smaller in fit than the M-100's, so much that I couldn't keep them and ended up selling them off. That being said, I concur with above: get the XL pads. They make them the most comfortable over ear headphone I've used.

 

2) I wouldn't assume that the XS will have exactly the same sound as the m80s. People assumed that the M-100 would just be a circumaural version of the M-80s before they released, and that clearly didn't pan out. Right now, it's unclear what Val's new baby will sound like. 

 

3) The low mids are definitely recessed on the M-100, between 250Hz and 800Hz. It's not extreme though, they're down by just by around 2.5db @400Hz. It drops smack into the vocal region, and it collaborates with the M-100's increased bass and sparkly treble to make vocals seem slightly distant. Definitely a V-Shaped sound signature. The issue is more pronounced in home listening in a quiet area than in mobile listening. 

post #18846 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinValentine View Post

 

2) I wouldn't assume that the XS will have exactly the same sound as the m80s. People assumed that the M-100 would just be a circumaural version of the M-80s before they released, and that clearly didn't pan out. Right now, it's unclear what Val's new baby will sound like. 

 

In fairness, that was a stupid assumption for people to have made because it's a switch from a 40mm driver to a 50mm one AND the cups are going from on-ear to over-ear. So far it seems to be hinting that the XS is an M80 with the cliqfold hinges and some of the other bells and whistles from the M100. If the drivers stay the same there's no reason to think the sound would change (and if they DO change, now I'm quite curious).

post #18847 of 20803
XL pads came in today. So far, I love them. Better comfort and a little more sub bass extension.
post #18848 of 20803

There's a possibility that my M100's could be the result of this type of chart.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/55/500x1000px-LL-5523bc9d_LP2-FR.png

If it's true, I guess it's just my ears that aren't accustomed to the 4khz bump.

post #18849 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

There's a possibility that my M100's could be the result of this type of chart.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/55/500x1000px-LL-5523bc9d_LP2-FR.png

If it's true, I guess it's just my ears that aren't accustomed to the 4khz bump.

 

Pretty much:

 

 

 

I think it's a fallacy to think that non-flat frequency responses are erroneous. I have no doubt that this curve was VERY specifically chosen, and I for one am immensely pleased with it. 

post #18850 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post

If it's true, I guess it's just my ears that aren't accustomed to the 4khz bump.

That graph is almost certainly from a defective or counterfeit M-100. A proper, working M-100 will have no peak at 4 kHz.
post #18851 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post


That graph is almost certainly from a defective or counterfeit M-100. A proper, working M-100 will have no peak at 4 kHz.



Vmoda hasn't replied yet, but I'm experiencing this defect. I hope it's not a counterfeit though. I ordered these straight from V-Moda >.<

My Q701's have a slight bump in this area, but they're just a somewhat bright headphone overall.

Should I just keep burning in the M100's and hope the 4khz peak goes away either through brain burn in/driver burn in?

post #18852 of 20803
As a point, since you posted one of Tyll's graphs, Tyll's measurements don't show a peak at 4 kHz. A rise around 4 kHz appears in the raw data, yes, but not a sharp peak, and that rise disappears once the HRTF compensation is applied.

In plain English: if you hear a scratchy peak at around 4 kHz then you have a defective M-100.

Edit: M-100 has no appreciable burn-in period. If they're not working out of the box then there's something wrong with them.
Edited by ratinox - 2/28/14 at 3:15pm
post #18853 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post

As a point, since you posted one of Tyll's graphs, Tyll's measurements don't show a peak at 4 kHz. A rise around 4 kHz appears in the raw data, yes, but not a sharp peak, and that rise disappears once the HRTF compensation is applied.

In plain English: if you hear a scratchy peak at around 4 kHz then you have a defective M-100.

Edit: M-100 has no appreciable burn-in period. If they're not working out of the box then there's something wrong with them.

 

I have to sliiiiightly disagree. I believe they benefit from a day or two of burn in. Nothing crazy, just a few days of fairly heavy use.

post #18854 of 20803

So I made a new track!

 

I do this as a hobby and master my music using my M-100's.

 

Since this is an audiophile community and this is a M-100 fan thread, I figured you guys would like it.

 

Some of you already listened to my older stuff on this thread, well this is brand new and 8:30 minutes long.

 

Enjoy!

 

https://soundcloud.com/psychogenetix/swept-away

post #18855 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

I have to sliiiiightly disagree. I believe they benefit from a day or two of burn in. Nothing crazy, just a few days of fairly heavy use.



I have a friend who's giving up his M100 for Dr Dre Mixr's (not mine), he says I can swap headphones with him even if I do have a defect.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoGenetiX View Post
 

So I made a new track!

 

I do this as a hobby and master my music using my M-100's.

 

Since this is an audiophile community and this is a M-100 fan thread, I figured you guys would like it.

 

Some of you already listened to my older stuff on this thread, well this is brand new and 8:30 minutes long.

 

Enjoy!

 

https://soundcloud.com/psychogenetix/swept-away


I'm more of a trance/house/edm/old school dubstep kinda guy. I liked your other tracks better in my opinion ^-^

I.E. Heartswitch and Inspire

I absolutely adore the sub-bass for Inspire


Edited by Nec3 - 2/28/14 at 4:23pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.