or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1235

post #18511 of 22821
@ Ratinox

Just read in your profile that you've performed the tape-mod on your M-100's. What effect has this had?
post #18512 of 22821
Damn I really should've gone for matte black m100s... The novelty of the white quickly wore off and now the understated black seems far more appealing
Edited by adman164 - 2/14/14 at 2:40pm
post #18513 of 22821
Quote:
Originally Posted by adman164 View Post

Damn I really should've gone for matte black m100s... The novelty of the white quickly wore off and now the understated black seems far more appealing

 

Says almost everyone who buys the headphone in a color other than Matte.  LOL...the matte is definitely the best looking of the bunch.

post #18514 of 22821
I'm still rocking on with the white M-100 and I'm not missing out on the spray-paint like matte-black. biggrin.gif
post #18515 of 22821

For anyone interested in making their own cable for the m100 I've found a 3.5mm connector that is slim enough to fit in the m100 and doesn't look like it would be too much of a hassle to solder. I'm thinking about getting a few and some silver plated OCC cable and making a few cables for m100's would anyone be interested a cable like this? Not sure how much I would have to charge or if it's even possible but I imagine I could make a ~4ft. cable for less than $40.

 

Here is the connector: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281243011459

post #18516 of 22821
Quote:
Originally Posted by adman164 View Post

Damn I really should've gone for matte black m100s... The novelty of the white quickly wore off and now the understated black seems far more appealing

This was my exact experience with the M-80 and my major driving factor for getting the matte black M-100.

post #18517 of 22821
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1001 View Post
 

For anyone interested in making their own cable for the m100 I've found a 3.5mm connector that is slim enough to fit in the m100 and doesn't look like it would be too much of a hassle to solder.

 

...

 

Here is the connector: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281243011459

 

Good find! Thanks for sharing the link. :) 


Edited by epithetless - 2/14/14 at 5:15pm
post #18518 of 22821

Zorrofox, thank you for posting those pictures! I really like the way the cable is completely black until the interconnects, makes the cable look higher end compared to the stock kevlar cable. I also just so happened to notice you plug the cable into the right ear cup like me. :beerchug:

post #18519 of 22821
No problem mate, happy to help. It is a classy cable, especially considering the price. I'm a lefty though, sorry to say. It was just easier to rake the shots the way I did :-)
post #18520 of 22821
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachharpo View Post

Hey guys hoping to get some help. I am on my 2nd pair of m-100s. I originally got the shadow and loved them. They sounded amazing, but I got matte black envy so I returned them. I ordered the matte black but they sound different. They don't sound near as good as the shadow with much less bass. Is it possible I got a fake pair? I ordered from amazon just as I had the first time brand new? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andii View Post

Edit: meant to quote coachharpo.

I also bought the matte black version from Amazon and mine had the same exact defect. I posted in this thread about it and no one else had experienced that. There must be a bad batch.

I ended up buying the shadow directly from vmoda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post

Wow I got a pair of m100s two weeks ago via amazon and they were significantly different than my first pair. Swapped em with V-moda because they thought they could be fake. The ones I received from them were what I remembered. Clearly amazon got some bad units or fakes. Hopefully Val has investigated.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andii View Post
 

I would have thought the ones I had were fake, but the particular pair I had sounded bad right out of the box, then performed normally for a few days before going bad and staying that way.

It's a peculiar issue. They don't make any weird noise or have any signal interruptions, they just sounded like a set of normally functioning pair of mediocre headphones. Anemic low end, but still reproducing all frequencies, extreme midrange scoop, harsh ~4khz spike and low fidelity overall. They also were much louder at a given volume level than they should be when functioning normally.

 

I'm glad you sent V-MODA your bad pair so they can look into it. When I initially contacted them about it, they were really unfamiliar with such an issue and were dismissive in a sense. Headfi members weren't familiar with this issue either. I sent my defective pair back to Amazon and left a detailed review on Amazon explicitly describing my experience and VMODA contacted me and I tried another pair directly from them. The pair from V-MODA is 100%. 

 

I don't know if this is a new issue, or a few bad units have been circulating for a while going unrecognised. Before I bought the M100s and I was reading about them I observed that some people didn't like the sound and had a completely polarized review and perception of them compared to the majority, they might have been listening a defective unit, but that's just a hunch/suspicion/theory. 

I think I'm having the same issue... :(

Here's how it went down:

I have the crossfade LP2s and think they sound really good.

I was content.

Then I was at the mall and saw there was a brookstone there, so I decided to try the M100's since they had them on display. I plugged my phone in to test my own music and I was blown away!

Amazing bass, clarity and power. Worth the money to my ears.

Fast forward to today, when I got my M100's. Same as the quotes above. They still sound clear, but bass is nearly non-existent. I have to EQ just to get a decent amount of bass...

I've been listening to them on my phone and at my pc with foobar2k with no eq. Songs played are a wide range of genres, most 320kbps.

 

Details:

The brookstone pair was shadow, mine are matte black.

I ordered directly from v-moda.

I'll give vmoda a call monday and see what they say.

post #18521 of 22821
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteWalker View Post
 

I think I'm having the same issue... :(

Here's how it went down:

I have the crossfade LP2s and think they sound really good.

I was content.

Then I was at the mall and saw there was a brookstone there, so I decided to try the M100's since they had them on display. I plugged my phone in to test my own music and I was blown away!

Amazing bass, clarity and power. Worth the money to my ears.

Fast forward to today, when I got my M100's. Same as the quotes above. They still sound clear, but bass is nearly non-existent. I have to EQ just to get a decent amount of bass...

I've been listening to them on my phone and at my pc with foobar2k with no eq. Songs played are a wide range of genres, most 320kbps.

 

Details:

The brookstone pair was shadow, mine are matte black.

I ordered directly from v-moda.

I'll give vmoda a call monday and see what they say.

I wonder if V-MODA did a line change to something.  Perhaps different materials in the earpads.  A change in the softness of the earpad material could change the seal, which would change the bass.  This is a total guess, though.  I have no proof that any line change to the manufacturing happened. 

post #18522 of 22821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

Just read in your profile that you've performed the tape-mod on your M-100's. What effect has this had?

One layer of the paper medical tape reduces the bass by ~2 dB, two layers reduce the bass by another ~2-3 dB. These are wild-assed guesses since I don't have a test rig to measure levels. The bass reduction also reduces the bit of boominess that the XL pads introduce for some ears. I've put about 50 hours of rock, metal, new wave, EBM and EDM plus another 20 hours of gaming with my 3DS. Two layers is pretty much perfect for rock and metal and gaming and good enough for everything else.

YMMV.
post #18523 of 22821
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post

I wonder if V-MODA did a line change to something.  Perhaps different materials in the earpads.  A change in the softness of the earpad material could change the seal, which would change the bass.  This is a total guess, though.  I have no proof that any line change to the manufacturing happened. 

I have noticed a difference in comfort. There doesn't seem to be as much irritation to my ears after listening. Maybe less bass = less irritation = more comfort?
post #18524 of 22821
Zorrofox, thanks for taking the time to take and post the pics, especially with your hurt back. Hoping for a quick recovery for you. The cable looks great with the M-100, now if only I could find the darn things I would order a couple (black & red).
post #18525 of 22821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post

One layer of the paper medical tape reduces the bass by ~2 dB, two layers reduce the bass by another ~2-3 dB. These are wild-assed guesses since I don't have a test rig to measure levels. The bass reduction also reduces the bit of boominess that the XL pads introduce for some ears. I've put about 50 hours of rock, metal, new wave, EBM and EDM plus another 20 hours of gaming with my 3DS. Two layers is pretty much perfect for rock and metal and gaming and good enough for everything else.

YMMV.

I think I remember reading of a similar mod. Not a bad idea. I have one question though; what is EBM?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.