- 4,693 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Location: CONUS
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a new pair of cans with bass Last post on 6/19/13 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback Last post on 1/18/14 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphones recommendation Last post on 4/20/13 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with THE biggest bass Last post on 2/15/14 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 12/10/15
(Player: Cowon Plenue D ; Earphone: JH5) Before I start, I must say that this was not the beginning of my experience with the brand cables. I own the Ares cable also (first model) and make...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Firstly I want to thank a local NZ Head-Fier (AudioDHD) for allowing me to spend some time...
Not a whole lot to add that others have mentioned. I would have liked a traveling case included instead of a pouch, but I will let that slide for a couple of reasons. First is that the box that...
First, I would like to thank Shozy for sending me a pre-production model of the Zero in exchange for my honest opinion. My pre-production model arrived in a small package. Inside was the Zero...
Ghostek made its name in the phone accessory market. Its been building solid cases for a while now, and they’ve brought everything they’ve learned from making durable phone cases to the table...
V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1216post #18226 of 226161/24/14 at 3:23pmThere is no hard fact, but most people, including myself, think it uses the ES9023.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #18227 of 226161/24/14 at 5:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by ratinox
There's some space underneath the XL pads but there isn't as much play. Then again, you shouldn't need the mod with the XL pads.
If the twisted paper towel mod isn't sufficient then I recommend trying the rope trick version. Quarter-inch nylon rope is more resistant to crushing. Cut to 1.5-2" lengths, bond the ends with a little heat to keep them from fraying, and stuff under the upper and lower angles of the pads.
I have no idea about the lead times on the black pads.
Speaking of mods, the XL pads do have a little boominess about them (kudos to Val and V-Moda for keeping it to a minimum) so I've been experimenting with covering the bass ports to rein that in. Completely sealing them with electrical tape works too well (imagine that). I'm currently trying paper medical tape. One layer seems good for my industrial and EBM, two layers seem better for rock and metal.
I just remembered a way to get red pads to match the Shadow trim: sock mod.
How about covering only one or two of the bass ports with electric tape? I guess I should try it on my M-100 with XL pads...post #18228 of 226161/24/14 at 6:52pmQuote:
That can work, too. It's all about adjusting the volume and velocity of air moving through the bass ports without completely blocking that airflow which can damage the driver, although I believe that is unlikely in most headphones, and it sounds terrible. You can use pretty much any porous material or partial covering. Experiment. Tape different materials over the ports: tissue, napkins, bits of fabric, cotton gauze, copy paper. Find something that sounds good to you and is thin enough to fit underneath the shields for a tidy appearance once you've decided on a permanent material.
I've spent the past two days with two layers of Johnson & Johnson paper tape inside the shields, some 12-14 hours of music: rock, metal, industrial and EDM, and the only times I found myself really wanting any extra EQ was to compensate for commuter train noise. The white color showing through the ports is kind of meh, though it might look good with the white M-100's and dark shields. Perhaps a red marker will fix that.
Or maybe V-MODA will come up with some kind of active lighting system.
Sock mod is off for now. There's not enough rim around the cups for socks to hold onto. They just slide off.
(edit: corrected V-MODA's trademark name)
Edited by ratinox - 1/25/14 at 6:25pmpost #18229 of 226161/24/14 at 9:32pmpost #18230 of 226161/25/14 at 10:57am
i've used 3m transpore tape to adjust the bass on a pair of sennheisers, I bet it would work good for the m100's as well. It is almost clear so it would be very hard to see through the ports. When I get my m100's and XL pads I will test it out.
here is the tape I have
http://www.3m.com/product/information/Transpore-Surgical-Tape.htmlpost #18231 of 226161/25/14 at 2:28pm
I've used 3m transpore medical tape to recover bass ports on a pair of sennheiser hd428's and it worked very well, I bet the trans pore tape would work great for the m100 as well. It is also pretty clear so it should hide behind the shield pretty well.post #18232 of 226161/25/14 at 3:53pmQuote:
Can you try? We don't have the time for the lighting system as we are busy making all the new products BUT we want to see some mods. If it works, we'll sell it on our site somehow!!!Quote:
Keep on modding... we'll make an official mod page on our site. I REALLY encourage mods, I used to modify every car/bike/Radio Control thing I could get my hand on. This is the V-MODA spirit. After I got a Ducati at 23 years old I took apart my Suzuki GSX-R600 at my rented apartment garage in San Diego when V-MODA was "Kolton Technology". It was COMPLETELY disassembled and I couldn't put it back together again. I wish I had a picture of it. It was hard to explain to management what happened!
FULL UPDATE TO EVERYBODY COMING TOMORROW... LOOK OUT!
QUICK QUESTION - what side do you plug cable into? A future model has a strange feature so I need to know...
Quick fun pic we made for our internal creative staff after we did the shoot at the Forums, we weren't going to make this picture public as it is a bit out there for the general public. But, in the spirit of the Forums/Colosseum I thought some people on the forums may like it.
So here it is for you exclusively:
Edited by valkolton - 1/25/14 at 4:18pmpost #18233 of 226161/25/14 at 5:58pmQuote:
Here's the paper tape mod side on:
I don't think I'm up for a lighting mod myself but maybe I know how to get started: remove the shield, remove the mesh covering the opening in the outer shell, and install some LEDs in that little cavity, and then use some kind of semi-transparent tape to cover the shield vents and diffuse the light. Power is a problem. LEDs require more power to generate visible light than a typical headphone jack provides.
The poor man's version: glow in the dark or UV-reactive marker.
I had an idea for the sock mod: use the pivot pins to hold the sock in place. Here's a proof of concept:
Cotton sport sock material, even from thin socks like this, are too thick to work well. It binds the pivot pins and takes up too much space inside the pads. Something more sheer like dress socks or maybe even nylon stockings should work better but I have neither to play with.
I use the left side headphone jack. Shirt and jacket pockets are typically on the left side and that's where my players go.post #18234 of 226161/25/14 at 6:20pmpost #18235 of 226161/25/14 at 6:41pmQuote:
Left side for me too. I actually hate it when headphones exclusively have a right-side cable entry, which is why the M-100's ability to let the wearer choose is so nice.post #18236 of 226161/25/14 at 6:51pmpost #18237 of 226161/25/14 at 7:48pmpost #18238 of 226161/25/14 at 7:54pm
I am planning on buying the V-Moda M-100s, as I want headphones that I can use for all of my audio needs. That means that I will also be using them for PC gaming. Can anyone recommend to me the best sound card for these specific headphones? One that will provide great sound for music, as well as allow for positional audio. Thats all I need to know, thanks in advance!post #18239 of 226161/25/14 at 8:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cruhx
I am planning on buying the V-Moda M-100s, as I want headphones that I can use for all of my audio needs. That means that I will also be using them for PC gaming. Can anyone recommend to me the best sound card for these specific headphones? One that will provide great sound for music, as well as allow for positional audio. Thats all I need to know, thanks in advance!
No special DAC or sound card require, just use Razer Surround along with the BoomPro Mic cable and you are good to go.post #18240 of 226161/25/14 at 8:15pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › Three Word Story 4 seconds ago
- › Emotiva Big Ego and Little Ego 14 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › On-ear headphones around $200 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › CanJam London 2016 (August 13-14, 2016) 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › Official Head-Fi Houston Fourth-of-July Weekend Meet: Saturday -... 4 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by ekolite
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V2 Earphones with In-Line Mic & 3x Tuning... by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by suman134
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...