- 4,706 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Location: CONUS
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a new pair of cans with bass Last post on 6/19/13 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback Last post on 1/18/14 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphones recommendation Last post on 4/20/13 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with THE biggest bass Last post on 2/15/14 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 12/10/15
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I'd like to acknowledge Head-fier Ajaxander (Andy) and also Ken Ball from ALO/Campfire...
I bought these (at £150) expecting much but was shocked by how far they fell short of even competency. They are very uncomfortable, badly designed and the sound is really nothing special. Whatever...
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1216post #18226 of 227561/24/14 at 3:23pmThere is no hard fact, but most people, including myself, think it uses the ES9023.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #18227 of 227561/24/14 at 5:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by ratinox
There's some space underneath the XL pads but there isn't as much play. Then again, you shouldn't need the mod with the XL pads.
If the twisted paper towel mod isn't sufficient then I recommend trying the rope trick version. Quarter-inch nylon rope is more resistant to crushing. Cut to 1.5-2" lengths, bond the ends with a little heat to keep them from fraying, and stuff under the upper and lower angles of the pads.
I have no idea about the lead times on the black pads.
Speaking of mods, the XL pads do have a little boominess about them (kudos to Val and V-Moda for keeping it to a minimum) so I've been experimenting with covering the bass ports to rein that in. Completely sealing them with electrical tape works too well (imagine that). I'm currently trying paper medical tape. One layer seems good for my industrial and EBM, two layers seem better for rock and metal.
I just remembered a way to get red pads to match the Shadow trim: sock mod.
How about covering only one or two of the bass ports with electric tape? I guess I should try it on my M-100 with XL pads...post #18228 of 227561/24/14 at 6:52pmQuote:
That can work, too. It's all about adjusting the volume and velocity of air moving through the bass ports without completely blocking that airflow which can damage the driver, although I believe that is unlikely in most headphones, and it sounds terrible. You can use pretty much any porous material or partial covering. Experiment. Tape different materials over the ports: tissue, napkins, bits of fabric, cotton gauze, copy paper. Find something that sounds good to you and is thin enough to fit underneath the shields for a tidy appearance once you've decided on a permanent material.
I've spent the past two days with two layers of Johnson & Johnson paper tape inside the shields, some 12-14 hours of music: rock, metal, industrial and EDM, and the only times I found myself really wanting any extra EQ was to compensate for commuter train noise. The white color showing through the ports is kind of meh, though it might look good with the white M-100's and dark shields. Perhaps a red marker will fix that.
Or maybe V-MODA will come up with some kind of active lighting system.
Sock mod is off for now. There's not enough rim around the cups for socks to hold onto. They just slide off.
(edit: corrected V-MODA's trademark name)
Edited by ratinox - 1/25/14 at 6:25pmpost #18229 of 227561/24/14 at 9:32pmpost #18230 of 227561/25/14 at 10:57am
i've used 3m transpore tape to adjust the bass on a pair of sennheisers, I bet it would work good for the m100's as well. It is almost clear so it would be very hard to see through the ports. When I get my m100's and XL pads I will test it out.
here is the tape I have
http://www.3m.com/product/information/Transpore-Surgical-Tape.htmlpost #18231 of 227561/25/14 at 2:28pm
I've used 3m transpore medical tape to recover bass ports on a pair of sennheiser hd428's and it worked very well, I bet the trans pore tape would work great for the m100 as well. It is also pretty clear so it should hide behind the shield pretty well.post #18232 of 227561/25/14 at 3:53pmQuote:
Can you try? We don't have the time for the lighting system as we are busy making all the new products BUT we want to see some mods. If it works, we'll sell it on our site somehow!!!Quote:
Keep on modding... we'll make an official mod page on our site. I REALLY encourage mods, I used to modify every car/bike/Radio Control thing I could get my hand on. This is the V-MODA spirit. After I got a Ducati at 23 years old I took apart my Suzuki GSX-R600 at my rented apartment garage in San Diego when V-MODA was "Kolton Technology". It was COMPLETELY disassembled and I couldn't put it back together again. I wish I had a picture of it. It was hard to explain to management what happened!
FULL UPDATE TO EVERYBODY COMING TOMORROW... LOOK OUT!
QUICK QUESTION - what side do you plug cable into? A future model has a strange feature so I need to know...
Quick fun pic we made for our internal creative staff after we did the shoot at the Forums, we weren't going to make this picture public as it is a bit out there for the general public. But, in the spirit of the Forums/Colosseum I thought some people on the forums may like it.
So here it is for you exclusively:
Edited by valkolton - 1/25/14 at 4:18pmpost #18233 of 227561/25/14 at 5:58pmQuote:
Here's the paper tape mod side on:
I don't think I'm up for a lighting mod myself but maybe I know how to get started: remove the shield, remove the mesh covering the opening in the outer shell, and install some LEDs in that little cavity, and then use some kind of semi-transparent tape to cover the shield vents and diffuse the light. Power is a problem. LEDs require more power to generate visible light than a typical headphone jack provides.
The poor man's version: glow in the dark or UV-reactive marker.
I had an idea for the sock mod: use the pivot pins to hold the sock in place. Here's a proof of concept:
Cotton sport sock material, even from thin socks like this, are too thick to work well. It binds the pivot pins and takes up too much space inside the pads. Something more sheer like dress socks or maybe even nylon stockings should work better but I have neither to play with.
I use the left side headphone jack. Shirt and jacket pockets are typically on the left side and that's where my players go.post #18234 of 227561/25/14 at 6:20pmpost #18235 of 227561/25/14 at 6:41pmQuote:
Left side for me too. I actually hate it when headphones exclusively have a right-side cable entry, which is why the M-100's ability to let the wearer choose is so nice.post #18236 of 227561/25/14 at 6:51pmpost #18237 of 227561/25/14 at 7:48pmpost #18238 of 227561/25/14 at 7:54pm
I am planning on buying the V-Moda M-100s, as I want headphones that I can use for all of my audio needs. That means that I will also be using them for PC gaming. Can anyone recommend to me the best sound card for these specific headphones? One that will provide great sound for music, as well as allow for positional audio. Thats all I need to know, thanks in advance!post #18239 of 227561/25/14 at 8:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cruhx
I am planning on buying the V-Moda M-100s, as I want headphones that I can use for all of my audio needs. That means that I will also be using them for PC gaming. Can anyone recommend to me the best sound card for these specific headphones? One that will provide great sound for music, as well as allow for positional audio. Thats all I need to know, thanks in advance!
No special DAC or sound card require, just use Razer Surround along with the BoomPro Mic cable and you are good to go.post #18240 of 227561/25/14 at 8:15pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 21 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 1 minute ago
- › cat keeps chewing through headphone cords 10 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 11 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 11 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 12 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 13 minutes ago
- › Techno, Electro & Underground Beats 13 minutes ago
- › Samsung Note 7 - just around the corner , audiophile phone? 14 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones by mrstrangeguy
- › Focal Utopia by x RELIC x
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...