Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1151

post #17251 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post


What I make out of it is that he means the bass loses midbass (punchiness) and and gets more subbass skewed and to him the subbass starts to affect the low mids so they don't sound equally clear. Several people seems to agree it seems to make the bass deeper sounding as a trade-off in lost midbass.

Thanks! Even after falling asleep in a chair at work (after I clocked out), and still feeling pretty bleary now that I made it home, what you said makes perfect sense to me.

What is the "softie" mod? Is that the ring of stuffing Miceblue and others were doing to their pads last year?
Edited by Evshrug - 10/23/13 at 8:57pm
post #17252 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

:confused: How can sub bass affect the low mids? It's mid bass and upper bass that bleeds into the mids. Sub bass is low enough to do its own thing without affecting anything else.

 

I disagree, there's a point (quantity and quality) when both subbass and midbass affects mids. Not all midbass emphasized headphones screw the mids, midbass heavy headphones that has little impact on mids would be for example Q40, M100 and Ultrasone Pro900 (the mids are just recessed to begin with), some headphones can deliver that punch but it's a snappy solid punch, it's just a "thump" you feel.

This tight & punchy bass is also interpretable from 30Hz squarewave measurements on innerfidelity for example: 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

 

As you see M100 (with stock pads) has very good quality tight punchy bass, the 30Hz squarewave is very short on the vertical length and it has an initial sharp "top" which indicates the punchiness factor, the higher and sharper that "top" stretches the more punchy it tend to get while the shorter vertical length the "tighter" the bass response is. M100 does very well in these regards. PRO900 for example perhaps offers even a bit more punch in comparison if you're into that but still relatively tight bass response but not as tight as M100: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasonePRO900.pdf


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 10/24/13 at 12:05am
post #17253 of 21004

I didn't mean to say that all midbass emphasis screws up the mids, I'm just saying that midbass emphasis CAN screw up the mids but subbass emphasis alone CAN'T screw up the mids, no matter how much of it there is.

post #17254 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by noinoi24 View Post

Anybody tried to pair FIIO E12 with the m-100? With iPhone 5 source? What does it sound like? Would you recommend those as a set-up? If not , then What model of amp/Dac will add more spark, clarity, definition, and detail to the music using FIIO brand? Verza is too high for my budget.

How does JDS Labs D5 work with m-100?
Edited by noinoi24 - 10/24/13 at 7:44am
post #17255 of 21004

Just bought xl pads, hope they sound as good as everyone says.. my biggest use with the m100's is that all of the sources sound so close, if I'm gaming its hard to hear the music I listen to in the background, game sound, and talking to friends over voice chat because the driver is so close.

 

I am using a titanium HD sound card right now, but are there any good $100-$200 portable amp options for a ipod classic? I was thinking about getting a fiio..

post #17256 of 21004
After roughly 3 months, my M-100's finally fell and hit the ground frown.gif. Not worried though, I know the quality of this product is outstanding.
post #17257 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

Are you running iOS 7 on your iPhone?  Another option would be to use a Lightning to USB adapter from Apple to a USB cable to an outboard DAC/amp that works with iDevices.  Right now, I think the least expensive way to go in this direction would be the Fiio E07K (less than $100US) but I have not tested this Fiio model.  I am fairly certain that the E07K works with iPads when set on no USB charging and using the CCK or Lightning to USB adapter.

 

In any event, if you use a DAC/amp and connect digitally to your iPhone, you bypass the internal headphone amp of the iPhone which is (IMO) the weakest link in the chain.  And unlike 30-pin iDevices, Lightning-based ones don't have line outs, so a DAC is the way to go.

 

I have used the Fiio E17 with the iPhone 5c, but it requires a hub in between.  I also have tried it with the microStreamer (less than $200US) which doesn't.  Here's a picture showing the setup:

where did you get that color cable??

post #17258 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealRice View Post
 

where did you get that color cable??

It comes with the White M-100, I believe.

post #17259 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

Are you running iOS 7 on your iPhone?  Another option would be to use a Lightning to USB adapter from Apple to a USB cable to an outboard DAC/amp that works with iDevices.  Right now, I think the least expensive way to go in this direction would be the Fiio E07K (less than $100US) but I have not tested this Fiio model.  I am fairly certain that the E07K works with iPads when set on no USB charging and using the CCK or Lightning to USB adapter.  

 

In any event, if you use a DAC/amp and connect digitally to your iPhone, you bypass the internal headphone amp of the iPhone which is (IMO) the weakest link in the chain.  And unlike 30-pin iDevices, Lightning-based ones don't have line outs, so a DAC is the way to go.  

 

I have used the Fiio E17 with the iPhone 5c, but it requires a hub in between.  I also have tried it with the microStreamer (less than $200US) which doesn't.  Here's a picture showing the setup:

 

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff ><' but are those the XL pads? because they don't look half as comfortable as the pads (probably stock) I'm using right now. If they are, are they worth it? Because I had a short discussion on student room and someone recommended stuffing tissues into the stock pads which would create the same effect as XL pads

post #17260 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggieeiggob View Post
 

 

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff ><' but are those the XL pads? because they don't look half as comfortable as the pads (probably stock) I'm using right now. If they are, are they worth it? Because I had a short discussion on student room and someone recommended stuffing tissues into the stock pads which would create the same effect as XL pads


Stuffing does not give the same effect as the XL pads unfortunately.  Not even close. 

post #17261 of 21004

FYI: the M-100 now can be demoed and purchased at Brookstone stores along with their collection of memory foam pillows.

post #17262 of 21004

hey anyone know of any current v-moda coupons/promotions? all the ones i know of are expired :(

post #17263 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


Stuffing does not give the same effect as the XL pads unfortunately.  Not even close. 


not one bit

post #17264 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealRice View Post
 

where did you get that color cable??

From the white M80 I have.  The cable is a bit thinner than the stock M100 cable and is less microphonic. 

post #17265 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggieeiggob View Post
 

 

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff ><' but are those the XL pads? because they don't look half as comfortable as the pads (probably stock) I'm using right now. If they are, are they worth it? Because I had a short discussion on student room and someone recommended stuffing tissues into the stock pads which would create the same effect as XL pads

Those are the XL pads.  For me they are worth it because they are more comfortable.  I tried the paper towel mod on the stock M100 pads but could not get the same clearance for my ears as I now have with the XL pads.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.