Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a new pair of cans with bass Last post on 6/19/13 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback Last post on 1/18/14 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphones recommendation Last post on 4/20/13 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with THE biggest bass Last post on 2/15/14 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 12/10/15
I picked up these for my wife. I thought that since she is more of an average listener (not too concerned with audio), the V-shaped sound might be acceptable or even preferred. I gave them a listen...
I got to listen to these for a couple weeks as part of the USA tour, with the requirement that I write a review and pay to ship them to the next participant. I am not affiliated with, and was not...
Introduction: I have had the chance to listen to the HD800 a few times at local Head-Fi meets. However, I have never got a good chance to listen to them, either the person who owned them...
At the time of this review, the iFi micro iDSD, iFi nano Gemini cable and iFi nano iUSB3.0 was for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are links for the purchase of these three...
These so far dethroned all my top headphones. Deeper more natural bass than the M50X, or the HE-400, better 3d imaging, and speed than the AD900x, better comfort than the DT990pro. Mine is...
V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1116post #16726 of 225329/25/13 at 5:46pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #16727 of 225329/25/13 at 5:50pmpost #16728 of 225329/25/13 at 6:03pmQuote:
Probably because no one knew they were coming out in gray. Thanks for the heads up, just ordered.post #16729 of 225329/25/13 at 6:15pmpost #16730 of 225329/25/13 at 6:17pm
I think the M-100 looks better around the neck with the XL pads, instead of one side constantly forcing it's way to the bottom the now sit symmetrically. I can't wait to hear some other people's impressions on the sound.
Edited by chuckle490 - 9/25/13 at 6:31pmpost #16731 of 225329/25/13 at 6:18pm
It took me a while to put on the XL pads. I had to use quite a considerable amount of force to push them into the cups.
However, the comfort levels are night and day compared to the standard ones. Had them on for 3 hours today and I had ZERO fatigue at all.
As for sound, I couldn't really tell the difference between the XL and regular. However I'm no "audiophile" compared to everyone on this forum haha.
The only sad part is that the gray XL pads are now on sale, and that was the color I wanted. Oh wells.post #16732 of 225329/25/13 at 6:20pmQuote:
In the meantime, how about your impressions?Quote:
My order, which I placed within the first day of availability, was also via PayPal...so yeah, no correlation there. I wonder: Have any of the early adopters seen their XL pads shipped yet?
Edited by epithetless - 9/25/13 at 6:30pmpost #16733 of 225329/25/13 at 6:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by jblue2000
It's been 7 months since I have used this product and I am putting in some updates with regards to the toughness of the product.
We all know these headphones are created and advertised with "Toughness" in mind. Unfortunately I found 4 physical weak spots in this product:
1. The leather"ish" material of the headband can be easily be scratched with your own nails. I could imagine when a cat accidentally scratched it, it would be a disaster and the look can be easily be ruined.
2. The sliding mechanism. Inside the headband that holds/encloses the sliding mechanism can easily snap-out and ruin the sliding mechanism when the headband is accidentally twisted like using the headphone while lying in bed. Also, when putting/wearing the headphones to your head the tendency is you will hold the headphones to the metal part that holds the speakers on both sides. This causes a lot of tension to the materials that holds/encloses the sliding mechanism inside the headband and can cause the sliding mechanism break apart. Also, it could probably "rip-out" from the soft fabric underneath the headband, that would be really ugly when that happens. When I noticed that, I was careful of holding the headphone from there on. But I was annoyed at that so what I did is I reinforced the material that holds/encloses sliding mechanism from the outside of the headband with 2 nylon cable ties at the edge of the sliding mechanism holder. The headphones feel more sturdy now no matter how carefree I handle it when wearing it.
3. The folding mechanism material can rust easily. I use this headphones when jogging and when sweat gets there, it can rust easily. So when I noticed that, I clean the folding mechanism with WD40. Not sure how V-Moda can improve this one in their future or next production of M100s.
4. The replaceable plastic part at both ends of the headband can easily CRACK (The one with 3 screws each where the L and R is printed). Mine has a crack already in both sides.
Of course I can have them replaced free of charge, but I live in the Philippines and it will be a pain to ship it back to have it replaced since there is no distributor here. Anyhow these are the things I noticed about this product and I hope they can address these in their next production or in the future release. I really enjoy these CANS the most and with that I use it the most for the past 7 months and I really love these headphones despite some material weaknesses. I don't abuse these headphones even though it is advertised as "Built like a tank". I just use it normally. But I wish I could be more carefree to handle it.
But, but…music doesn't break headphones, extreme listeners do!post #16734 of 225329/25/13 at 6:33pmQuote:
Yeah, he's right. I think any headphones with your usage would break the poor thing.post #16735 of 225329/25/13 at 6:33pm
I've only had about 2 hours of listening time with them thus far and I have to say they sound a bit different. Keep in mind all my opinions are made while using my 7th gen iPod classic> Silver LOD>Fiio E11 rig. Soundstage has definitely expanded, it now sounds less like your sitting in a hallway and more like you are sitting in a good sized room. The bass seems to hit just as hard as it did, with the same amount of rumble and really no noticeable difference from the stock pads to the XL pads. The Mids on the XL pads seem to be a maybe a little bit more recessed or I might just be perceiving it that way because of the increase in soundstage. Highs also seem to sound the same as they did with the stock pads. The sound took me a few tracks to get used to, but now I can't imagine going back to the stock pads.post #16736 of 225329/25/13 at 6:35pmThe XL pads are winner in my book. Sound quality still the same for me and the comfort level has improved greatly. Kudos to Val for listening to his customers and designing and releasing this product. The only observation I can make is that in my opinion THESE pads are the ones that should have been released with the headphones in the first place.
A+post #16737 of 225329/25/13 at 6:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by chuckle490
I've only had about 2 hours of listening time with them thus far and I have to say they sound a bit different. Keep in mind all my opinions are made while using my 7th gen iPod classic> Silver LOD>Fiio E11 rig. Soundstage has definitely expanded, it now sounds less like your sitting in a hallway and more like you are sitting in a good sized room. The bass seems to hit just as hard as it did, with the same amount of rumble and really no noticeable difference from the stock pads to the XL pads. The Mids on the XL pads seem to be a maybe a little bit more recessed or I might just be perceiving it that way because of the increase in soundstage. Highs also seem to sound the same as they did with the stock pads. The sound took me a few tracks to get used to, but now I can't imagine going back to the stock pads.
Hm. Even more recessed mids doesn't sound promising. Thanks for sharing, though, and please keep us updated if your impressions evolve with time/pad break-in.
Another curiosity of mine: Is there any way the M-100/XL combo will fit in the original hard case...or is that a no-go?
Edited by epithetless - 9/25/13 at 6:39pmpost #16738 of 225329/25/13 at 6:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by jmsilva22
The XL pads are winner in my book. Sound quality still the same for me and the comfort level has improved greatly. Kudos to Val for listening to his customers and designing and releasing this product. The only observation I can make is that in my opinion THESE pads are the ones that should have been released with the headphones in the first place.
Would you agree that the XL pads look better than the stock pads? In my opinion the XL pads are so much sleeker than the stock pads, definitely a step up in the looks department.post #16739 of 225329/25/13 at 6:48pm
For anyone wondering how black XL Pads look on the white M-100's. I got matte black shields to match them.
I am digging how the XL pads feel and look.
BTW: they fit in the m-100 case just fine with the XL pads on.
Edited by NycJello - 9/25/13 at 6:52pmpost #16740 of 225329/25/13 at 6:51pmQuote:
Pic, but you get the idea. It fits fine, just scrunched them a bit.
Edited by jonnio - 9/25/13 at 6:53pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor) 37 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 51 seconds ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 2 minutes ago
- › Are there really no differences in sound quality between amps? 2 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 3 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) 3 minutes ago
- › LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ? 4 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by droido256
- › OPPO PM-3 by Sophonax
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by starbux61
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Feilong4
- › X-18 D2 - Sundown Audio 18" Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer by RockeyDA
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by mark2410
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse