Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 12

post #166 of 20988
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Yeah, but Ultrasone isn't trying to sell the Pro900s at RadioShack...they're built to be used at home or on turntables, by audiophiles or DJs, with an amp, not around the city from an iPod/iPhone. I doubt the M100s will compete with something like that, even amped. Even if Val is calling this a "modern audiophile" headphone, the bottom line is, he's selling them at RadioShack, and the only headphone amp they sell there is a piece of junk that is designed ONLY to amplify volume for multiple listeners; nothing anyone here on Head-Fi would ever even consider using.

 

I understand where you're coming about price/performance ratio with an amp, but it's not the only factor in this case. The Pro900s cost $500 and are a totally different beast than what Val describes the M100s as being designed for.

 


 



 


$330 new at B&H before the now $500 price-tag smile.gif

 

And to again bring up what has been said by a couple of people- if we're going to talk about the average, non-audiophile consumer, so many people have happily paid $300 for Beats Studio that under-perform headphones under $75. They basically perform like $50 XB500's. I'm sure the average non-audiophile will not care if their circumaural M100 they purchased is on-par/slightly under-performs the supra aural M80. And the audiophile will surely appreciate the premium SQ achieved with an amp.

 

*

I definitely understand your point. I'm just saying that the M100 will be a better value if they excel with an amp.

 

I will venture to say that you will be content if the M100 unamped performs on-par with the M80?

Let's just hope that Val can accomplish this! smile.gif


Edited by MrNurse - 2/5/12 at 7:34am
post #167 of 20988

subbed!

post #168 of 20988

It seems to me as though it's Val's goal to not rip people off like the Beats, so it's probably counter-productive to make them comparable in a NEGATIVE aspect of appealing to sheep ;) Also, Val is missing one thing that Beats have and are more than willing to shell out for in exchange for sound quality: Dr Dre.

 

Personally I won't pay $300 for them knowing that they underperform, or are only equal to, the M80. $100 extra for circumaural and a little more bass? I'll just go buy the 580s like you :p because personally I have no desire to lug around an amp. I already keep a wallet, notebook, two cell phones, and a pack of smokes on my person at all times.

 

Granted, I do not comprise the breadth of Val's audience :p but I think most educated consumers who did research and realized that they are the same as the M80s in SQ would probably scratch them off the list pretty quick to save $100. Let's face it: in the grand scheme of things, most people don't give a damn about headphone amps.

 

If, however, they sound better than the M80s without an amp, I anticipate a lot of people who were frustrated with Beats sounding worse than their friends' Bose will be easily converted once their plasticky shellings and second-rate NC systems start crapping out on them. And they will want something that looks and sounds like quality, an upgrade from the Beats, which were obviously a mistake...enter the M100. Maybe you would advise them to stick with the M80? But no, they will be worried that their friends' $300 QC will outperform them, because they are more expensive...

 

This isn't me, and I'm sure it's not anyone on head-fi, but having been on the ground level selling VMODA and Monster products side by side in a major city, I can guarantee you one thing: that scenario will happen FAR more often than that of an audiophile debating on whether or not to get the M100s based on them scaling with an amp.

 

I agree it would be great if the M100s scaled with an amp, but I think to the majority of Val's consumer base, amping is generally irrelevant, and most people would be underwhelmed for $300.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurseBJ View Post


 


$330 new at B&H before the now $500 price-tag smile.gif

 

And to again bring up what has been said by a couple of people- if we're going to talk about the average, non-audiophile consumer, so many people have happily paid $300 for Beats Studio that under-perform headphones under $75. They basically perform like $50 XB500's. I'm sure the average non-audiophile will not care if their circumaural M100 they purchased is on-par/slightly under-performs the supra aural M80. And the audiophile will surely appreciate the premium SQ achieved with an amp.

 

*

I definitely understand your point. I'm just saying that the M100 will be a better value if they excel with an amp.

 

I will venture to say that you will be content if the M100 unamped performs on-par with the M80?

Let's just hope that Val can accomplish this! smile.gif



 

post #169 of 20988
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

It seems to me as though it's Val's goal to not rip people off like the Beats, so it's probably counter-productive to make them comparable in a NEGATIVE aspect of appealing to sheep ;) Also, Val is missing one thing that Beats have and are more than willing to shell out for in exchange for sound quality: Dr Dre.

 

Personally I won't pay $300 for them knowing that they underperform, or are only equal to, the M80. $100 extra for circumaural and a little more bass? I'll just go buy the 580s like you :p because personally I have no desire to lug around an amp. I already keep a wallet, notebook, two cell phones, and a pack of smokes on my person at all times.

 

Granted, I do not comprise the breadth of Val's audience :p but I think most educated consumers who did research and realized that they are the same as the M80s in SQ would probably scratch them off the list pretty quick to save $100. Let's face it: in the grand scheme of things, most people don't give a damn about headphone amps.

 

If, however, they sound better than the M80s without an amp, I anticipate a lot of people who were frustrated with Beats sounding worse than their friends' Bose will be easily converted once their plasticky shellings and second-rate NC systems start crapping out on them. And they will want something that looks and sounds like quality, an upgrade from the Beats, which were obviously a mistake...enter the M100. Maybe you would advise them to stick with the M80? But no, they will be worried that their friends' $300 QC will outperform them, because they are more expensive...

 

This isn't me, and I'm sure it's not anyone on head-fi, but having been on the ground level selling VMODA and Monster products side by side in a major city, I can guarantee you one thing: that scenario will happen FAR more often than that of an audiophile debating on whether or not to get the M100s based on them scaling with an amp.

 

I agree it would be great if the M100s scaled with an amp, but I think to the majority of Val's consumer base, amping is generally irrelevant, and most people would be underwhelmed for $300.
 



 



Yes, understood. We'll just have to wait and see. We are both are pretty much set upon our views.

 

But here's something I can suggest. If you quit smoking you will have saved more than enough money for an amp before the M100 is released and you will have more pocket room for an amp which is smaller than a pack of cigarettes!

Plus you'll live even longer to enjoy the indestructible M-100, granted your hearing doesn't degenerate first. It's a win-win situation!

tongue_smile.gif I kid, I kid. That's just the Nursing side of me.

post #170 of 20988

And I'll snap at my customers and won't make any money tongue.gif

I actually smoke very lightly, no more than in 3 a day, and have for about 6 years now. I'm one of the lucky few...

 

I agree that we seem to both be set in our differing views; there's nothing wrong with that in mine, and I can certainly respect yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurseBJ View Post

Quote:



Yes, understood. We'll just have to wait and see. We are both are pretty much set upon our views.

 

But here's something I can suggest. If you quit smoking you will have saved more than enough money for an amp before the M100 is released and you will have more pocket room for an amp which is smaller than a pack of cigarettes!

Plus you'll live even longer to enjoy the indestructible M-100, granted your hearing doesn't degenerate first. It's a win-win situation!

tongue_smile.gif I kid, I kid. That's just the Nursing side of me.



 


Edited by Gilly87 - 2/5/12 at 8:10am
post #171 of 20988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

And I'll snap at my customers and won't make any money tongue.gif

I actually smoke very lightly, no more than in 3 a day, and have for about 6 years now. I'm one of the lucky few...

 

I agree that we seem to both be set in our differing views; there's nothing wrong with that in mine, and I can certainly respect yours.



 


Haha. Have you tried tapering it off a little more? Nvm, we don't need to get into that.
 

I added a ninja edit so I'll just remove it and post it here. You don't have to respond to this as it was supposed to be right before "we're set on our own views". I'm heading to the gym:

 

I'm saying that the average consumer will not be that keen on sound quality and will probably find other factors more important. I'm not saying he'd be ripping people off. Again, in the long run it's a better value if $300 headphones actually respond well to portable amps. I can't really think of good $300 headphones that don't respond well to amplification.

 

 

 

post #172 of 20988

I see your point, it does make sense. However I would think that more discerning consumers who research before buying, which still occupy a higher percentage of the population than amp-wielding audiophiles, would likely opt for the M80 over the M100 knowing that they are similar in sound quality out-of-the-box, meaning that Val would be underselling a decent portion of his business.

 

I think with his target audience, or at least the audience he is being EXPOSED to, given his choice of retailers, it makes little sense for the M100 to be less or equal to the M80 out of the box.

 

I'm telling you Val, get your M100s on a demo rack at Best Buy. There's one across the street from where I work and I see people in there every day trying on the Beats and Bose stuff. Do make sure they hook them up to a decent source, though.


Edited by Gilly87 - 2/5/12 at 8:45am
post #173 of 20988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

I see your point, it does make sense. However I would think that more discerning consumers who research before buying, which still occupy a higher percentage of the population than amp-wielding audiophiles, would likely opt for the M80 over the M100 knowing that they are similar in sound quality out-of-the-box, meaning that Val would be underselling a decent portion of his business.

 

I think with his target audience, or at least the audience he is being EXPOSED to, given his choice of retailers, it makes little sense for the M100 to be less or equal to the M80 out of the box.

 

I'm telling you Val, get your M100s on a demo rack at Best Buy. There's one across the street from where I work and I see people in there every day trying on the Beats and Bose stuff. Do make sure they hook them up to a decent source, though.


I agree, if you can get them in best buy where people can actually listen to them you will have a much easier time selling these. I will admit probably none or at least few here know what it would take to get that deal going. 

 

post #174 of 20988

Yeah I'm sure it would take a bit of flex. However Skullcandy is also a new brand, and they have their Aviators on display; I'm sure Val could swing it if he wanted to.

post #175 of 20988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posam View Post


I agree, if you can get them in best buy where people can actually listen to them you will have a much easier time selling these. I will admit probably none or at least few here know what it would take to get that deal going. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Yeah I'm sure it would take a bit of flex. However Skullcandy is also a new brand, and they have their Aviators on display; I'm sure Val could swing it if he wanted to.

 

We've sold to Best Buy and some stores have both Faze and Crossfade LP, but we are fazing them out... Right now V-MODA.com, Amazon, Guitar Center, Microsoft, Microcenter and specialty regional stores are our main sales channels in USA and we're working on demo experiences.  I'm keen on adding more pro/music instrument stores, because of DJs too. 

 

We're working a lot on international distribution now!  

 

I DJ in Beijing to celebrate our China launch on Feb 24th, anybody want to attend?!

 

-V

 

 

 


Edited by valkolton - 2/5/12 at 9:32am
Reply
post #176 of 20988

Ugh my hd600s haven't shipped yet and now I'm thinking of cancelling and waiting until the M-100s come out... I'm not sure if I want to hurt my wallet even more if they end up being amazing and when christmas comes along I have to forgo everything else for a 3rd pair of headphones. =P ... I can stop whenever I want! hahaha

 

Small edit: I like the idea of having moddable headphones Val, also any chance on more custom colors and custom wingplates for the m-80?


Edited by Jzbass25 - 2/5/12 at 9:53am
post #177 of 20988

I'm with you on that one...Val, however, doesn't have the luxury of such discernment. 


Edited by Gilly87 - 2/5/12 at 12:04pm
post #178 of 20988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

I'm with you on that one...Val, however, doesn't have the luxury of such discernment. 



That's true, however I highly doubt those people will even be able to discern the differences in SQ between an M-80 and M-100, appreciate their style factor, or even know what the word discern means. tongue_smile.gif

 

All joking aside, I do hope the M-100 is an overall upgrade to the M-80 unamped as well, and that the additional SQ bump when amped will be outstanding. I trust Val and his team will do their best to please everyone - they're definitely ahead of the game when it comes to the M-80. All we can do is wait and see.

 

Btw, no-more-than-three-smokes-a-day head-fiers unite lol.

 

 


Edited by roma101 - 2/5/12 at 12:40pm
post #179 of 20988
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post


That's true, however I highly doubt those people will even be able to discern the differences in SQ between an M-80 and M-100, appreciate their style factor, or even know what the word discern means. tongue_smile.gif

 

All joking aside, I do hope the M-100 is an overall upgrade to the M-80 unamped as well, and that the additional SQ bump when amped will be outstanding. I trust Val and his team will do their best to please everyone - they're definitely ahead of the game when it comes to the M-80. All we can do is wait and see.

 

Btw, no-more-than-three-smokes-a-day head-fiers unite lol.

 

 

 

 

 


Honestly, most consumers will love LP2 as it is today, it's only $199 with TWO shields and was Tom Cruise's headphone of choice in Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol.  M-100 will have better sound as it uses a new special driver, I think it'll bridge the gap and please both head-fi/modiophile m-80 lovers and those who swear by the original LP/LP2 sound. 

 

If we work together to make a lot of people happy who have slightly different preferences and use-case environments (DJS, Bassheads, Modiophiles, Producers), then that makes everything we do worthwhile! 

 

 

-v

 

Reply
post #180 of 20988
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton View Post

 

 

We've sold to Best Buy and some stores have both Faze and Crossfade LP, but we are fazing them out... Right now V-MODA.com, Amazon, Guitar Center, Microsoft, Microcenter and specialty regional stores are our main sales channels in USA and we're working on demo experiences.  I'm keen on adding more pro/music instrument stores, because of DJs too. 

 

We're working a lot on international distribution now!  

 

I DJ in Beijing to celebrate our China launch on Feb 24th, anybody want to attend?!

 

-V

 

 

 

Speaking of which, I went to B&H a couple of times when making purchases this month an they took away the defective LP1, but haven't replaced that spot with the M80 or LP2. 

I've wanted to audition the LP2. 

If we attend, will the flight be paid for? If so, I'm down!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton View Post

 

 

 


Honestly, most consumers will love LP2 as it is today, it's only $199 with TWO shields and was Tom Cruise's headphone of choice in Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol.  M-100 will have better sound as it uses a new special driver, I think it'll bridge the gap and please both head-fi/modiophile m-80 lovers and those who swear by the original LP/LP2 sound. 

 

If we work together to make a lot of people happy who have slightly different preferences and use-case environments (DJS, Bassheads, Modiophiles, Producers), then that makes everything we do worthwhile! 

 

 

-v

 


There were a few times where I was going to purchase the LP2 as my fun portables but I've been holding out for the M-100. 

 

Any more details in design? Am I correct in that you mentioned they will come also come in white? /prays

 

I already plan on using the M-100 at the gym. I've seen someone wearing XB500's so size is not so much of a concern for me as I've worn Pro 900's in public (airport/plane). I'd even wear the LCD-2 in public. 

I can combat the multiple people in my gym wearing Beats Studio/Solo. tongue.gif


Edited by MrNurse - 2/5/12 at 2:17pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.