Mhmm, true true. High gain, volume 3/63 is still pretty quiet though (volume 1/63 is actually the mute stage). It's just loud enough to hear my music over the bus noise; at least in the buses I ride in.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a new pair of cans with bass Last post on 6/19/13 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback Last post on 1/18/14 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphones recommendation Last post on 4/20/13 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with THE biggest bass Last post on 2/15/14 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 11/28/16
Hello and thanks for getting to my review! Firstly, need to tell you that this DAC/headamp has no battery inside, so those needing something to listen while jogging or walking might need to...
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
I was an early adopter of the original hifiman he-1000 (part of the original beta group). At the end of the beta period I elected to keep the product and it was replaced with the newest and latest...
V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1084post #16246 of 228218/19/13 at 11:20am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #16247 of 228218/19/13 at 11:35ampost #16248 of 228218/19/13 at 11:48amOoh, my order for the XL pads now says "awaiting shipment". Shame that will be up to two months away.....
Yesterday I wrote to V-MODA asking if there would be a chance to order the pads in grey. I've just received the following response:Quote:They are only available in black at this time.
Glad I ordered some black accessories to go with them then......post #16249 of 228218/19/13 at 11:52amQuote:Originally Posted by Bexxia
Ooh, my order for the XL pads now says "awaiting shipment". Shame that will be up to two months away.....
Yesterday I wrote to V-MODA asking if there would be a chance to order the pads in grey. I've just received the following response:
Glad I ordered some black accessories to go with them then......
So like the guy above said, any color you want as long as it's black.post #16250 of 228218/19/13 at 12:02pmQuote:
They are about as good or bad as most circumaural headphones for commuting. IEMs would be better if you are concerned about isolation.post #16251 of 228218/19/13 at 12:04pmQuote:
There's no way I puting black XL pads on my white M-100s. I will wait for other color options.post #16252 of 228218/19/13 at 12:10pmpost #16253 of 228218/19/13 at 1:31pmQuote:
They don't look all that bad actually. I have black hair too so the black earpads blend in. XDpost #16254 of 228218/19/13 at 3:50pm
I also use mine on the subway everyday and find the isolation to be fine. My IEMs, Meelectrionics A151 with large, triple-flange, silicon tips, isolate better against higher pitched sounds such as screeching brakes or nearby conversations, but low rumbling sounds still get through. I remember a while back Val posted something about strong bass cancelling out low background noise. I call it "bass-noise cancellation." I guess that's one thing the M-100 has over the A151 in terms of isolation.post #16255 of 228218/19/13 at 4:58pmpost #16256 of 228218/19/13 at 5:53pmpost #16257 of 228218/19/13 at 5:58pm
I was tempted to buy in to the larger pads, but like the others here, I will have to hold off until white is an option - I can't see myself putting black pads on white, and I'm unsure about buying another all-black headphone to match the pads alone.
Please update us on the status of pad colors, Val!post #16258 of 228218/19/13 at 6:57pmQuote:
Actually, with my non-standard music that's quiet with a high dynamic range (DR17), I need to crank it up to 18/63. Most of my music is pretty loud with a DR7 though and so I don't need to crank up the volume too much.
Sometimes I switch to low gain mode for when the bus is just cruising or driving on flat city grounds.post #16259 of 228218/19/13 at 7:17pmpost #16260 of 228218/20/13 at 1:41amQuote:
Whether the headphones I'm wearing are isolating, closed, or IEMs, I always do the same thing before commuting:
- Find the loudest track I'll be playing,
- Set the volume to a reasonable level for said track and
- Set the ceiling of all tracks to that same level.
If I can't hear enough bass on a train or bus, sobeit. That only means I'll have to wait to listen until I reach a quieter environment, and the decorative aspect of my headphones will be foregrounded while my ears are on temporary vacation. That's the point when I'll turn off the music and allow my headphones to muffle (if only slightly, in the M-100s' case) the sounds of the outside world.
Loudness is lovely, but tinnitus is eternal.
If you haven't touched the volume once you arrive at your destination and discover you were playing your music too loudly during the commute, then the chances are good you've been doing the same thing for a long while: damaging your hearing over time.
No environment should become a reason to listen at unhealthy volumes. Studio musicians have to be vigilant about that, but so do headphone aficionados.
If they're not, then they might have to learn to live like Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine:Quote:"I did the damage to my ears listening to mixes in headphones at very loud levels without giving my ears time to recover."
Shields also addresses another concern I have for certain Head-fi members: The ill-considered habit of falling asleep while wearing headphones, which essentially exposes the ear to hours of potential damage caused by sound -- which the sleeping mind cannot even remember or appreciate -- and increases the likelihood the listener will do even more damage once they're awake.
Quote:"I got tinnitus falling asleep listening to mixes of [the 1991 album] Loveless," [Shield] says. "It was only for about two hours, but when I woke up I could hear a high-pitched sound but wondered where it was coming from."
Remember: Damage is caused not only by volume but by duration.
Edited by scrypt - 8/20/13 at 1:57amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 6 seconds ago
- › Hidizs AP60 59 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › i-Fi SPDIF iPurifier impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Intona High Speed USB Isolator 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO releases the new amplifier A5 that strives for perfection 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Roland Mobile UA UA-M10 USB Audio Interface by raoultrifan
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear