Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a new pair of cans with bass Last post on 6/19/13 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback Last post on 1/18/14 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphones recommendation Last post on 4/20/13 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones with THE biggest bass Last post on 2/15/14 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 6/26/15
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1058post #15856 of 219418/6/13 at 8:37pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #15857 of 219418/6/13 at 8:43pmpost #15858 of 219418/6/13 at 9:15pm
so are any new pads available at all Mike?
I'd love to review the M100's,
but the pads bug me when attempting longer listening sessions.post #15859 of 219418/6/13 at 9:54pmpost #15860 of 219418/6/13 at 11:18pmWith all the r&D put into the earpads, materials and manufacture process, and assuredly niche market, I was assuming V-MODA would need to recoup costs and the MSRP would be like $40 for a pair. AKG full-size pads are like $60 USD, I think.post #15861 of 219418/7/13 at 12:32amQuote:
This better still be happening, I will not being paying more than $20 for them. That said, these look unbelievably plush.post #15862 of 219418/7/13 at 1:09ampost #15863 of 219418/7/13 at 4:25amQuote:
If it weren't for the laborious R&D/time/money involved, I'd say that V-Moda should redesign a second version of their case to go with the XLs and charge for that version accordingly.
Val mentioned that the M100's pads weren't really designed to be changed regularly, and the experiences of other users seem to have borne that out. I'd still like to wear my headphones on the street, which means I'd need to be able to use a case, but I'd also appreciate the comfort of the new pads, which could mean having to put the case aside permanently.
I'd hate to have to choose between portability and comfort without being able to switch again, but could that be the situation with which we're faced.
Here's something I'd love to see re the next higher-end model of V-Moda headphones:
An ingenious and swift solution to changing the pads -- one that would be built into the design.
Now that Val knows a fair number of headphone buyers eventually choose their mainstays for comfort as well as style and sound -- and that comfort can be very different from person to person -- perhaps he'll apply his team's design ingenuity to detachable pads as well as shields, cables and folding mechanisms. That way, the user could customize not only the look but the feel of their headphones, which could become a whole new level of luxury in the luxury market. It's also the logical extension of the idea of different tips for IEMs.
Having two or three sets of easily switchable pads could also allow the headphones to become an outfit for one's skull -- one with functional accessories -- smaller pads for smaller bags and summer days, etc. We often use different pads from different companies, but this would all come from one company, and would solve the issue of finding comfortable pads for earcups that have an anomalous shape.
With feel customization comes sound modification as well, which would be another level of options for the V-Moda customer.
Here's another issue:
The most comfortable earpads often look a tad ridiculous. The great thing to do would be to design all the pads so that they not only felt and sounded good but looked good on the user, albeit in different ways.
But that would a decision for V-Moda to make: Whether to try to do it all or focus on two out of three elements.
Edited by scrypt - 8/7/13 at 5:03ampost #15864 of 219418/7/13 at 5:04am
... and would maybe even end the demanding threats of not being willing to pay for new pads as the headphone should already have fit in their first generation ;-)
Definitely a good idea. And, I could imagine, a kind of problem Val would be interested in solving. Yes, his mention of the pads not being designed to be changed often made me hesitate as well... and I'm quite content with the existing pads. Would nevertheless be an interesting feature for a future generation of the M-100.
Maybe the XL pads are even soft enough to fit into the existing case, but as they are angled it might be a bit complicated to get the headphone in position to close the zipper. I'm still not worried without a case as they are robust enough for normal days in my bag. I use the case mainly when putting them in my production bag together with lots of cables and small devices like soundcards etc. -- that might rip the pads otherwise.post #15865 of 219418/7/13 at 7:36am
Hmm...i've got $400 and am thinking of getting a pair of these. Want to know though, how big are the pads compared to the momentum? The momentum's pads are really comfortable for me, and i'm thinking of getting the m100 as a complement sound signature wise.post #15866 of 219418/7/13 at 7:54amQuote:
Then you will have no problem, as the inner dimensions of the M-100 is even bigger than the Momentum.post #15867 of 219418/7/13 at 8:06amQuote:
Which brings us to an interesting point which is: should the xl pads work (increased comfort w/o adversely affecting the sq) would v-moda ship new units with only the xl pads? That would make the most sense, surely. If that's the case, the price of these may be lower than we anticipate.post #15868 of 219418/7/13 at 8:10amQuote:Originally Posted by x838nwy
Which brings us to an interesting point which is: should the xl pads work (increased comfort w/o adversely affecting the sq) would v-moda ship new units with only the xl pads? That would make the most sense, surely. If that's the case, the price of these may be lower than we anticipate.
The stock pad is fine for most people, and the XL pad is a nice option but should not be stock. However, what V-MODA should do is to list the BoomPro Mic, CoilPro Cable, and the XL pad as options along with the custom shields, that way when you order you get to pick which one of four you want the most for the bundle.post #15869 of 219418/7/13 at 8:29amQuote:Originally Posted by DrSheep
The stock pad is fine for most people, and the XL pad is a nice option but should not be stock. However, what V-MODA should do is to list the BoomPro Mic, CoilPro Cable, and the XL pad as options along with the custom shields, that way when you order you get to pick which one of four you want the most for the bundle.
Yeah, but if it fits more people... then it's only logical...?post #15870 of 219418/7/13 at 8:48amI personally don't use the case any more since the zipper busted a while ago after only about a month's use...
I have no problems just putting it in my bag with other things like books.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › Astell&Kern AK380 2 minutes ago
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 7 minutes ago
- › omg i love my new monoprice 5" studio monitors!! 11 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 12 minutes ago
- › Best gear for listening to classical music... 12 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 14 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 14 minutes ago
- › Why do companies make headphones hard to drive(300+ ohm) is it a... 14 minutes ago
- › Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations 16 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 16 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2