Originally Posted by scrypt
Is there a financial reason for your returning the M100s immediately (such as the expiration of the 30-day return window)? If so, then your decision's completely understandable; if not, then choosing not to wait to try the XLs seems impatient to the point of self-sabotage, since you say you love the sound signature and performance.
The only other thing I can think of is that you might be trying to dodge the depreciation in reselling.
V-Moda seems to have a lot of overstock, and cuts their prices dramatically after a year or more. The reduced prices and sales on the remaining headphones seem to make them an unusually difficult resell if one waits for too long. Perhaps that will change as the overstock clears out and models are discontinued.
Something to consider when deciding whether headphone prices are worth it:-- the ability to resell. I have the original Alessandro MS2 and haven't even thought about reselling it in the wake of the MS2i.
I think you referred to me. In any case, I´ll answer. I like the headphones but I find so many reasons why selling them right now is a no-brainer:
- If I sell right now I will be losing almost no money in the transaction, for all the reasons you mentioned above.
- I am barely using them because of the comfort issues I have with them. I find myself going to any other headphone I have around. Even I tried yesterday a session with them, with and without mod, with and without softies, and I couldn´t really stand them for more than 10 minutes.
- Waiting for the XL pads makes no more sense to me, as I have already waiting so long, I think this is not going to change right now. Moreover, look again at the first point. I would be losing money.
- In my opinion, they are portable, but not "that" portable. It´s like putting a ball inside your backpack. I find the foldability of the MDR-1R much more appealing.
- Selling them right now, I can invest in other headphones I want to try and that I would be using much more with a high probability.
- I can rebuy them at any point.
Being completely honest. I think the headphones are super hot, good sounding, with a bunch of cool features and good ideas on them. It is just a comfort thing, and I have super small ears, not kidding. I remember myself opening the box for the first time and thinking: "Guau, what some of that people said online was really true, not an exageration". I´ve been just fighting with it because I really liked the cans. I would really love to come back to them in the future if they release some fix, it is just not the timing.
Edited by Ashade - 7/19/13 at 9:39am