Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 1004

post #15046 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post


the m100 is like that hot girl that only wants to have fun and go party all the time
the T50rp is somewhat less attractive and hard to get out of the house but she will provide you with some of the most interesting conversation you've ever herd
having both is harmony

 

harmony!?!? you've obviously never had 2 girlfriends at once! LOL
Edited by blueangel2323 - 6/18/13 at 1:09pm
post #15047 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post

Great post all around, but I have to call out one passage in particular:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post

both are appealing in different ways
both have limitations
nether one is better than the other overall.

This.  Actually, I should have admitted that I also have a planar orthodynamic, which in this case is the Fostex T50RP modded with the Alpha Dog pads from Mr. Speakers, which improves their bass response somewhat from stock.  My observations are very close to yours.  T50RP/Alpha Dog Pads sounds more accurate, whereas for some genres, particularly rock/pop vocals with some compression on them, the M100 sounds better.  

 

I would say too that the real limitation of the T50RP is its inefficiency. They simply don't sound good without a decent amp, and I have a Fiio E12 that powers them but only with the +10dB gain switch on (which is a pain to switch back and forth since all my other headphones need the standard 0dB gain setting, including the M100).   The M100 sounds decent with any stock music player, and really sings with an outboard amp without being hard to drive.    

 

But the two flavors argument is spot on, IMO.  

You need to turn the gain on for the E12 with the Mad Dogs? blink.gif

With the K 701, I keep it on low gain and with the potentiometer at around 11 o'clock, it gets plenty loud, too loud for me actually.

 

From Innerfidelity's measurements, the K 701 is more inefficient than the Mad Dogs:

1.68 mW to reach 90 dB SPL (K 701)

0.52 mW to reach 90 dB SPL (Mad Dog)

and of course the very efficient M-100 in comparison: 0.03 mW to reach 90 dB SPL

 

Is your Mad Dog version 3.2 by any chance?

post #15048 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post

the m100 is like that hot girl that only wants to have fun and go party all the time

the T50rp is somewhat less attractive and hard to get out of the house but she will provide you with some of the most interesting conversation you've ever herd
having both is harmony

harmony!?!? you've obviously never had 2 girlfriends at once! LOL
\
were talking about headphones!

its hard enough with one girlfriend
post #15049 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

You need to turn the gain on for the E12 with the Mad Dogs? blink.gif

With the K 701, I keep it on low gain and with the potentiometer at around 11 o'clock, it gets plenty loud, too loud for me actually.

 

From Innerfidelity's measurements, the K 701 is more inefficient than the Mad Dogs:

1.68 mW to reach 90 dB SPL (K 701)

0.52 mW to reach 90 dB SPL (Mad Dog)

and of course the very efficient M-100 in comparison: 0.03 mW to reach 90 dB SPL

 

Is your Mad Dog version 3.2 by any chance?

I've got the Fostex T50RPs with Alpha Dog pads, which are a little different efficiency-wise from the Mad Dogs.  Somewhere between 0.14mW and 0.29mW to reach 90dB according to Tyll's data.  But your point is well-made:  they get plenty loud with the E12.  

 

What I did not explain is that I also EQ the Fostex T50RPs to get the bottom two octaves of bass.  To do that, I have to use a lot of precut (typically 12dB to 14dB) to avoid digital clipping in the media player, which means I send a small signal to the outboard amp.  In that case, I need the 10dB gain switch on.

 

If I ran the T50RP without precut on the E12, I would blast my ears out.  

post #15050 of 20803

...sooo no XL earpads yet? lol....

post #15051 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post


\
were talking about headphones!

its hard enough with one girlfriend

 

lol I know, I was joking :)
post #15052 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Am I the only person who finds that the comfort had not improved over time? I'm an owner of the very first batch of M-100's and after nearly 9 months, the comfort is pretty much the same as from the first few days.

 

No, I'm with you. My comfort issue has never had to do with the rigidity of the pads, though. If that was the problem, I could certainly see it improving as they softened with use. Instead, my discomfort draws from the pads' shallowness -- where, if anything, the issue worsens as the pads become more pliable and pull my earlobes even further toward the driver housings.

post #15053 of 20803
i have the rockwool mod and srh840 pads and through the schiit magni i can go 75% volume before it blasts my ears out..
you mean W not MW? idk if .29mW would be enough power to run the t50..
post #15054 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Am I the only person who finds that the comfort had not improved over time? I'm an owner of the very first batch of M-100's and after nearly 9 months, the comfort is pretty much the same as from the first few days.

No, I'm with you. My comfort issue has never had to do with the rigidity of the pads, though. If that was the problem, I could certainly see it improving as they softened with use. Instead, my discomfort draws from the pads' shallowness -- where, if anything, the issue worsens as the pads become more pliable and pull my earlobes even further toward the driver housings.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/668108/vmoda-lp2-m100-mods
post #15055 of 20803

woww... i just can't believe it's been like over 6 months since i first heard about "xl earpad being made" to address comfort concerns, and still doesn't look anything xl earpads are even near being released yet.

 

what a disappointment.

post #15056 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/668108/vmoda-lp2-m100-mods


I'm familiar with all the present workarounds, but they're not for me, thanks. Neither Softie nor paper towel shall besmirch the integrity of my M-100s. cool.gif

post #15057 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

woww... i just can't believe it's been like over 6 months since i first heard about "xl earpad being made" to address comfort concerns, and still doesn't look anything xl earpads are even near being released yet.

 

what a disappointment.

 

Val is a perfectionist and would not release a product until it is as perfect as possible. Yes I know the wait can be frustrating but to me this is a good thing as opposed to companies that are willing to release products prematurely that end up having problems.
post #15058 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

 

Not everyone has $1k+ to spend on a portable set of headphones.

 

Hell I only spent less than a 1/10th of that on my M-100s (yet another reason why I went with them over any others, the deal was too good to pass up).


To your first point, you are correct.  I have high hopes for the NAD HP50 coming out in September in the under $300 category.

 

To your cost comparison between the Sig DJ and M-100, I spent just over 2X as much for the Sig DJ, so it sounds like you found a great deal on the M-100 and I found a great deal on the Sig DJ.

post #15059 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

woww... i just can't believe it's been like over 6 months since i first heard about "xl earpad being made" to address comfort concerns, and still doesn't look anything xl earpads are even near being released yet.

what a disappointment.

Val is a perfectionist and would not release a product until it is as perfect as possible. Yes I know the wait can be frustrating but to me this is a good thing as opposed to companies that are willing to release products prematurely that end up having problems.
than why does the m100 have "problems"?
post #15060 of 20803
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post

than why does the m100 have "problems"?


Because we don't all share Val's priorities and head shape. wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.