or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 994

post #14896 of 22835

No I have them here with me now. I did not say that it was very harsh treble, I said that it sounds thin and most of the treble from 4-20khz is almost missing! There is the 10db boost between 8-12khz and this is almost the only treble you can actually hear. 4-8khz are almost inaudible and 12khz+ is inaudible.... As a comparison the Momentums you can hear the treble evenly from 4khz > 15khz... On the M-100 you can hear 8-12khz very clearly but everything else is almost inaudible. This leads to thin and not natural treble.


Edited by nicholars - 6/13/13 at 7:34pm
post #14897 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

No I have them here with me now. I did not say that it was very harsh treble, I said that it sounds thin and most of the treble from 4-20khz is almost missing! There is the 10db boost between 8-12khz and this is almost the only treble you can actually hear. 4-8khz are almost inaudible and 12khz+ is inaudible.... As a comparison the Momentums you can hear the treble evenly from 4khz > 15khz... On the M-100 you can hear 8-12khz very clearly but everything else is almost inaudible. This leads to thin and not natural treble.


Different strokes for different folks.  Frequency charts aside, I felt Momentum was a bit harsh in the treble region. 

post #14898 of 22835
So now that the summer weather is beginning, will you still use the m100's outside or will the m100's sleep through the summer and be replaced by something else? I imagine the m100's get pretty hot.
Edited by msavic6 - 6/13/13 at 9:12pm
post #14899 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post

So now that the summer weather is beginning, will you still use the m100's outside or will the m100's sleep through the summer and be replaced by something else? I imagine the m100's get pretty hot.

 

I tend to use IEMs in the summer months. I know a few people who still prefer over the ear though so they use M-100s or which ever supra/circumaural headphone they have. It all comes down to preference. 

post #14900 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


Are you just going by a frequency graph or have you actually heard the M-100?  I don't recall a single post in this forum referencing exaggerated treble with the M-100 (I'm sure someone will make me eat my words).  IMO, M-100 has some of the smoothest, reasonably extended treble I have heard- very pleasing for most genres and never harsh.

 

I can confirm what he found subjectively as well.  The 10 kHz peak is there and audible.  I wouldn't entirely call the M-100's treble smooth IMO. Please and detailed, yes, smooth/soft, not entirely. 

post #14901 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

I can confirm what he found subjectively as well.  The 10 kHz peak is there and audible.  I wouldn't entirely call the M-100's treble smooth IMO. Please and detailed, yes, smooth/soft, not entirely. 

 

I can hear it too, but I still hear the rest of the frequencies as well. They don't entirely drown out the rest of the treble frequencies. I feel like either he is exaggerating or we hear the M-100s completely differently.

post #14902 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

 

I can hear it too, but I still hear the rest of the frequencies as well. They don't entirely drown out the rest of the treble frequencies. I feel like either he is exaggerating or we hear the M-100s completely differently.

 

He isn't exaggerating, the drop in the 4-8 kHz is kind of masked by the peaks at the 10 and 3 kHz regions.  It sort of makes up for it, but also can make the highs seem a little bit unnatural at times.  I can see where he's coming from with his impressions. 

post #14903 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

No I have them here with me now. I did not say that it was very harsh treble, I said that it sounds thin and most of the treble from 4-20khz is almost missing! There is the 10db boost between 8-12khz and this is almost the only treble you can actually hear. 4-8khz are almost inaudible and 12khz+ is inaudible.... As a comparison the Momentums you can hear the treble evenly from 4khz > 15khz... On the M-100 you can hear 8-12khz very clearly but everything else is almost inaudible. This leads to thin and not natural treble.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

He isn't exaggerating, the drop in the 4-8 kHz is kind of masked by the peaks at the 10 and 3 kHz regions.  It sort of makes up for it, but also can make the highs seem a little bit unnatural at times.  I can see where he's coming from with his impressions. 

 

Kind of masked isn't near inaudible. They are perfectly audible. Yes, the highs seem a bit unnatural at times, but that doesn't mean those frequencies are inaudible... They aren't as prominent as the peaks, but I can still hear those frequencies.

post #14904 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

 

 

 

Kind of masked isn't near inaudible. They are perfectly audible. Yes, the highs seem a bit unnatural at times, but that doesn't mean those frequencies are inaudible... They aren't as prominent as the peaks, but I can still hear those frequencies.

 

What I mean by masked is that it covers the problem up...  Makes the problem less audible. 

post #14905 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

What I mean by masked is that it covers the problem up...  Makes the problem less audible. 

 

My point is that I can still hear those frequencies in those dips, they aren't inaudible or nearly inaudible. They might not be as forward as I'd like them, but it certainly isn't as bad as he is suggesting, at least not to my ears.

post #14906 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

 

 

 

Kind of masked isn't near inaudible. They are perfectly audible. Yes, the highs seem a bit unnatural at times, but that doesn't mean those frequencies are inaudible... They aren't as prominent as the peaks, but I can still hear those frequencies.

I think his 5 posts detailing the same things every time kind of cleared up his opinion of the M100s and the 8-12khz, 8-12khz, 8-12khz, 8-12khz, 8-12khz. And good on him for loving the Momentums, they're well built and designed headphones. 

 

I being another person, with a different head, and a different set of ears can respectfully show my differing opinion, although not across 5 posts. I easily picked the M100s after listening to both sets, and was rather disappointed with the Momentums. For the most part I'm a Sens fan, but I don't really like the product they brought out there. There's nothing that it seems to excel at, and if that's the case and besides build materials/styling, I'd go Shure SRH-840s. And you know, since we're only talking about sound quality and don't want to make any pointless posts, lest they be pointed out, we shouldn't look at the build materials in a comparison between the Momentums and the 840s anyway wink_face.gif

post #14907 of 22835
So how do the Momentums hd598 and m100 compare?Momentums are superior to both, right??
post #14908 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN94Master View Post

So how do the Momentums hd598 and m100 compare?Momentums are superior to both, right??


I'm not sure how you would come to that conclusion if you have read through this thread, although you might come to that conclusion on the Momentum thread.  The only way for you to know is to compare all three and decide for yourself.

 

My order of preference would be:

 

M-100

HD598

Momentum

post #14909 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny-x View Post

I think his 5 posts detailing the same things every time kind of cleared up his opinion of the M100s and the 8-12khz, 8-12khz, 8-12khz, 8-12khz, 8-12khz. And good on him for loving the Momentums, they're well built and designed headphones. 

 

I being another person, with a different head, and a different set of ears can respectfully show my differing opinion, although not across 5 posts. I easily picked the M100s after listening to both sets, and was rather disappointed with the Momentums. For the most part I'm a Sens fan, but I don't really like the product they brought out there. There's nothing that it seems to excel at, and if that's the case and besides build materials/styling, I'd go Shure SRH-840s. And you know, since we're only talking about sound quality and don't want to make any pointless posts, lest they be pointed out, we shouldn't look at the build materials in a comparison between the Momentums and the 840s anyway wink_face.gif

 

I wish people could just share their opinions on headphones on these forums without constantly having to justify their purchase or get all offended when someone says anything bad about their headphones. I was just comparing what I think about what are probably regarded as the best of the new portables and how I think they compare, sorry if I upset you with my impressions and not just saying "these are so great"... To me the M-100 is far from bad sounding, I just think they should have made the frequency response a bit less extreme because it negatively effects the sound quality by masking a lot of areas and to me, coming from headphones like HD650, D2000, Momentum... This sounds a bit wrong. I am not even sure I will keep the momentum due to the size and fit of them, but comparing the two, I prefer the Momentum to the M-100... I think I will give a few more a try before I settle on which pair to keep, maybe the Denon D600 and Sony MDR-1R next.... Trying headphones is fun beyersmile.png


Edited by nicholars - 6/14/13 at 5:18am
post #14910 of 22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


Different strokes for different folks.  Frequency charts aside, I felt Momentum was a bit harsh in the treble region. 

 

Funny how people hear differently.... The Momentums are not harsh for me for hours of listening whereas the M-100 physically hurt my ears after an hour or two, both the comfort and the treble! The M-100 are not a pleasant experience for me when combining the pain of wearing them and the ear fatigue! I don't think they are bad, because if you look at my sig you can see I rated them quite high on my list of headphones, its just I was a bit disappointed because I was expecting better after this 1000 page thread...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.