Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 975

post #14611 of 21004
Typically it takes a few days to get the custom shields if you put any design on them. It took a week for mine.

Also if you have a big head you can straighten the headbands completely to relieve some of the clamping pressure
post #14612 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

Quote:
OrIginally Posted by rudeboybass go_quote.gif



Ashade, what is your impression it on how the softee mod affects the sound?

The thing is that I tend to eq a lot,  and I'm really bad at this but I feel the bass becomes a little bit less present making them a little bit more neutral. It's very subtle thought, I mean, the bass drops like 1or 2db or so which out of a boost of 8 is like... nothing. XD
That's awesome I herd the same thing! It's like its slightly more "in the Back seat" sounding bass
post #14613 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle490 View Post

I have what I would consider to be average to slightly big ears and I usually manage to squeeze my ears into the pads. They are comfortable but it is a tight fit. The only reason I did not send my M-100 back was the promise of the XL pads, which we have been discussing since January. 

i would call it a snug fit, definitely. and i too have slightly larger than average ears. my problem is that my ears protrude out more than most, causing me considerable pain with the m-100, however, im trying out the softie mod as we speak - fingers crossed. ive kinda given up on the xl pads tbh... =\

 

edit: well, after about an hour of use, my ears are hurting. just like without the softie mod. ugh... ill try adjusting the cable i used under the pads tomorrow, but i think if i stretch the pads out any further theyll just come off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post

white m-100 waiting at home for me.  gonna be a long 3 or 4 hours before i get back.  can't wait!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post

first listen, burial's untrue (always a good barometer for headphone quality).  fit is fine so far but as i was afraid of these are pretty strained by my gigantic head.  not nearly as bad as the m-80s though.  bass surprised me as i assumed it to be emphasized but more subtly.  still it seems pretty well controlled and not loose and melting into everything all over the place.   title track is beastly.  good sense of space/positioning though.  i'm bad at judging soundstages but so far it doesn't seem too odd sounding and pretty wide open.  surprisingly good detail as well.

 

my ears aren't QUITE as trained as others here so the differences between this and the m-80s aren't immediately evident besides the reverberating bass and the surprising micro-detail.  time will tell though.  midrange (vocals) don't see as compromised as everyone made them out to be.

 

this may be the start of a beautiful friendship :)

 

e: do all vmoda headphones have these weird bumps on the top side of the headband about an inch or two up from the plastic wings/whatever they're called/where the arms extend out?  it's very subtle but noticeable (if you're feeling it)

 

are you pairing them with the cmoy you talked about earlier? and im surprised you would use burial as a reference? all his tracks are full of hiss and pops. its on purpose, yes, but none the less... anyway, cant say a bad word about anything burial produces really... kindred is a masterpiece! im glad to hear your pleased with your m-100, try bending the headband flat once or twice to relieve the clamping pressure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post


That's awesome I herd the same thing! It's like its slightly more "in the Back seat" sounding bass

i wouldnt say "in the back seat", but i do feel that the sub-bass was effected, becoming less prominent. this is only after an hour of using the softie mod, but i dont feel the sound is effected alot, only slightly.


Edited by adamlr - 5/18/13 at 9:59am
post #14614 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post

edit: well, after about an hour of use, my ears are hurting. just like without the softie mod. ugh... ill try adjusting the cable i used under the pads tomorrow, but i think if i stretch the pads out any further theyll just come off...

 

As Ruboybass already mention a while ago, a lot of people is missing this part in the mod:

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/12885#post_9267214

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post

 hello everybody! I think you are experiencing a congested sound stage because you did not use stiff metal wire wound like a slinky that stretches the inner diameter of the pads. After that put a bottle in the pad overnight to assist the widening of the pad and the "slinky" will open up fixing the issue.
 
I use some salt or pepper cover caps from costco everynight. I'll try to get some pictures later. He didn´t mention, but I suppose that the idea is to keep changing to some bigger diameters over time. smile.gif
 
I takes some time, thought.
post #14615 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

As Ruboybass already mention a while ago, a lot of people is missing this part in the mod:


http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/12885#post_9267214

Kind of like gauging.......little bigger at a time. rolleyes.gif
post #14616 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by martybm5 View Post

Typically it takes a few days to get the custom shields if you put any design on them. It took a week for mine.

Also if you have a big head you can straighten the headbands completely to relieve some of the clamping pressure


huh strange since i requested them at the same time as the headphones. and they were delayed a week and a vmoda rep said the reason was due to their customs dept being backed up.  they didn't say anything about sending shields separately so i assumed they were coming with the headphones.  are they normally sent separately?  i sent vmoda another message at any rate; they're extremely helpful!

 

i'll try that trick but they're actually nowhere near as bad as people made them out to be.  maybe giving a little undue pressure on the bottom part of my earlobe and they get a little hot outdoors but nothing i can't deal with.  other than that reasonably comfortable.  do the pads soften up after awhile ala M-80s?  one thing that kinda disappointed me is they didn't appear to isolate as well as my broken-in M-80s.

post #14617 of 21004
Quote:
are you pairing them with the cmoy you talked about earlier? and im surprised you would use burial as a reference? all his tracks are full of hiss and pops. its on purpose, yes, but none the less... anyway, cant say a bad word about anything burial produces really... kindred is a masterpiece! im glad to hear your pleased with your m-100, try bending the headband flat once or twice to relieve the clamping pressure.

so far sounding good but haven't tested them too much without.  currently i think they're sounding best out of my Creative X-FI HD USB from my PC.  bass seems to hit heaviest through there.

 

always loved burial's attention to detail in his music, and his superb use of space.  maybe not the best range of music stylistically/frequency-wise? but he's still one of my very favorite musicians.

post #14618 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

As Ruboybass already mention a while ago, a lot of people is missing this part in the mod:


http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/12885#post_9267214

Kind of like gauging.......little bigger at a time. rolleyes.gif
Thanks ashade!\
doing this and using a wire that can retain a slinky type structure is key here. i used the wire out of the tubes they use to vent out a household drier (for cloths)http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202449697?productId=202449697&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC%2d%5f%2dSearchPLPHorizontal1%2d3%2d%5f%2dNA%2d%5f%2d202449697%2d%5f%2dN#.UZfsuJXtVH0

you can cut the wire out of it or find it at your local hardware store by the foot... might be cheaper that way but ^ was the best example of the wire i used.. i had some extra laying around so it was easy to get for me
post #14619 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

As Ruboybass already mention a while ago, a lot of people is missing this part in the mod:


http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/12885#post_9267214

Kind of like gauging.......little bigger at a time. rolleyes.gif
Thanks ashade!\
doing this and using a wire that can retain a slinky type structure is key here. i used the wire out of the tubes they use to vent out a household drier (for cloths)http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202449697?productId=202449697&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC%2d%5f%2dSearchPLPHorizontal1%2d3%2d%5f%2dNA%2d%5f%2d202449697%2d%5f%2dN#.UZfsuJXtVH0

you can cut the wire out of it or find it at your local hardware store by the foot... might be cheaper that way but ^ was the best example of the wire i used.. i had some extra laying around so it was easy to get for me.. curl the tip of the wire like in the pic so it dosent poke a hole in the leather/softee than coil about 3 wraps of wire under the pads like the pt mod but over the top of the softee
this mod takes time to "break in" it widens and the fibers of the softee will lay flat more if you look twards the bottom of the earpad you can kind of see that the fibers are worn in. it took about 2 weeks of mon-fri averaging 2 hours a day of head time.
post #14620 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post

so far sounding good but haven't tested them too much without.  currently i think they're sounding best out of my Creative X-FI HD USB from my PC.  bass seems to hit heaviest through there.

 

always loved burial's attention to detail in his music, and his superb use of space.  maybe not the best range of music stylistically/frequency-wise? but he's still one of my very favorite musicians.

 

listening to "untrue" as we speak. brilliant =]

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

 

As Ruboybass already mention a while ago, a lot of people is missing this part in the mod:

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/12885#post_9267214

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post


Thanks ashade!\
doing this and using a wire that can retain a slinky type structure is key here. i used the wire out of the tubes they use to vent out a household drier (for cloths)http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202449697?productId=202449697&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC%2d%5f%2dSearchPLPHorizontal1%2d3%2d%5f%2dNA%2d%5f%2d202449697%2d%5f%2dN#.UZfsuJXtVH0

you can cut the wire out of it or find it at your local hardware store by the foot... might be cheaper that way but ^ was the best example of the wire i used.. i had some extra laying around so it was easy to get for me

 

my problem isnt with width, its with depth. heres a picture off google (i.e thats not my own ear) that i edited to show which bit of my ear protrudes out more than most:

 

 

after about an hour this bit of my ear, specifically the left ear for some reason, starts to hurt. interestingly, once i remove the headphones the pain intensifies for a few moments before it calms down. its this bit of my ear that touches the inside of the earcup.

 

heres a pic of my softie mod. i tried to show the inside of the earcup as much as i could.

 

 

i just got some sort of cable from a hardware store. i dont know what type of cable it is, i just took the thickest one i could find. heres a pic next to the v-moda cable:

 


using a springy "slinky type structure" cable you say? ill take a look around the hardware stores (theres like 200 of them around my apartment - so convenient! biggrin.gif) and see if i can find something suitable, though again, im pretty sure ive stretched the pads to their limit.

post #14621 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post


huh strange since i requested them at the same time as the headphones. and they were delayed a week and a vmoda rep said the reason was due to their customs dept being backed up.  they didn't say anything about sending shields separately so i assumed they were coming with the headphones.  are they normally sent separately?  i sent vmoda another message at any rate; they're extremely helpful!

i'll try that trick but they're actually nowhere near as bad as people made them out to be.  maybe giving a little undue pressure on the bottom part of my earlobe and they get a little hot outdoors but nothing i can't deal with.  other than that reasonably comfortable.  do the pads soften up after awhile ala M-80s?  one thing that kinda disappointed me is they didn't appear to isolate as well as my broken-in M-80s.

Wait so your m80's isolate more than your m100's? Aren't the m80's known for being notoriously bad at isolating?
How much more do the m100's protrude from your head than the m80's? Would you consider the m100 portable?
post #14622 of 21004
The
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post

so far sounding good but haven't tested them too much without.  currently i think they're sounding best out of my Creative X-FI HD USB from my PC.  bass seems to hit heaviest through there.

always loved burial's attention to detail in his music, and his superb use of space.  maybe not the best range of music stylistically/frequency-wise? but he's still one of my very favorite musicians.

listening to "untrue" as we speak. brilliant =]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

As Ruboybass already mention a while ago, a lot of people is missing this part in the mod:


http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/12885#post_9267214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboybass View Post

Thanks ashade!\

doing this and using a wire that can retain a slinky type structure is key here. i used the wire out of the tubes they use to vent out a household drier (for cloths)[URL=http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202449697?productId=202449697

my problem isnt with width, its with depth. heres a picture off google (i.e thats not my own ear) that i edited to show which bit of my ear protrudes out more than most:




after about an hour this bit of my ear, specifically the left ear for some reason, starts to hurt. interestingly, once i remove the headphones the pain intensifies for a few moments before it calms down. its this bit of my ear that touches the inside of the earcup.

heres a pic of my softie mod. i tried to show the inside of the earcup as much as i could.




i just got some sort of cable from a hardware store. i dont know what type of cable it is, i just took the thickest one i could find. heres a pic next to the v-moda cable:





using a springy "slinky type structure" cable you say? ill take a look around the hardware stores (theres like 200 of them around my apartment - so convenient! biggrin.gif ) and see if i can find something suitable, though again, im pretty sure ive stretched the pads to their limit.
wire takes up less space than cable does
post #14623 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post


Wait so your m80's isolate more than your m100's? Aren't the m80's known for being notoriously bad at isolating?
How much more do the m100's protrude from your head than the m80's? Would you consider the m100 portable?

 


i may be exaggerating this or have to A/B them but after being broken in the M-80s are really surprisingly isolating and seem to form a decent seal.  mind you this isn't really anything near IEM levels but it's enough to make bus rides w/ them pleasant enough.  the M-100s are pretty well isolating though; might be better, but i have to compare the m some more.  they're pretty portable but still look somewhat large on the head (not nearly as audacious as the Beats or their ilk, i'd say.  i DID get the white ones though ;) )

 

yknow rock really isn't that bad on these!  i'd say it's just about as good for rock as the M-80s were, really.  the boosted bass doesn't really affect it too badly; it only seems like the bass creeps up when really called for.  there is a bit of muddiness maybe but for the most part it's clear as a bell.

post #14624 of 21004

Does anyone know the difference in sound signature of the M-100s compared to MH1C? Are they pretty much the same signature?

post #14625 of 21004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercatorn View Post

Does anyone know the difference in sound signature of the M-100s compared to MH1C? Are they pretty much the same signature?


What is a MH1C??

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.