You make a really good point. There are definitely alternatives to getting a dedicated gaming headset, but I just wanted to point out that a dedicated gaming headset might be a better choice for certain people.
The $130 Astro Mixamp does provides surround sound functionality and the ability to adjust chat volume to ANY pair of headphones, and you can purchase an additional mic for any pair of headphones that have removable cables. HOWEVER you can get a very solid gaming headset for about that price that comes with those features included. For $134 on amazon, you can get a legit wireless surround sound gaming headset with mic like the Turtle beach earforce X42. $130 you get a wired 7.1 surround headset like the Tritton 720+. Basic wired stereo gaming headsets are usually under $100. Top of the line gaming headsets max out around $250-300, which I think is probably too much for dedicated gaming gear.
A few reasons I made the boom mic:
1) it is nice to carry one or two headphones around (I usually use both on and over, but sometimes over and in), especially when you travel - you can play games, watch movies, have phone/video calls AND listen to music
2) lots of games have good music now days, and every gaming headset I tested as an audio headphone was an absolute disaster in sound, who cares about "real" surround when it sounds bad and you can't make out the details
3) iPads, smartphones and tablets are increasingly used for gaming
4) the headphones w multiple drivers have an exponential chance for uneven sound quality due to QC of small drivers, let along big ones - the response curves are not pretty!
5) our boom's flex is nice and if you flex it down, you won't get any weird stares walking around with it
6) I feel our soundstage/sound balance is the best in the biz for a closed (or mostly-closed) headphone
7-infinity) your reasons here...
Does the Boom Pro Mic 2 fit in the M-100's case? When I tried to fit it using the V-STRAPs they couldn't fit properly; from what I remember, the rather large volume dial piece didn't fit well in the already tightly packed case.