Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 809

post #12121 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I think the mids are "laidback" by the emphasis on the amount of bass and treble 


I'm not sure if you have heard the M-100, but the treble isn't emphasized.  Momentum, for example, is brighter.

post #12122 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYPTO137 View Post

Hey guys, just wondering what you think.  I have a pair of UE 6000's along with some M-80's.  You think I should pick up the M-100 in the near future anyways?  The prominent bass and recessed midrange that I keep hearing about kept turning me off.  If anyone is wondering I listen to all types of rock with a splash of dubstep.


The M-100 is a worthwhile upgrade to the UE6000 and M-80 IMO.  Mids are on par with UE6000.  Bass is deeper, tighter, cleaner than either also highs extend further.  I will go as far as to say the M-100 is the best sounding closed portable I have heard, at least until my Ultrasone Signature DJ arrives tomorrow.

post #12123 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


I'm not sure if you have heard the M-100, but the treble isn't emphasized.  Momentum, for example, is brighter.

Yea I owned them for a short while, it's not the treble you're right. But the amount of bass makes the mids seem laid back. Too much bass, if this hadn't been the case I would have kept them. I feel like a lot of people that have just had entry level headphones think that the bass on the M100s is not emphasized but it really is. 

post #12124 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

Yea I owned them for a short while, it's not the treble you're right. But the amount of bass makes the mids seem laid back. Too much bass, if this hadn't been the case I would have kept them. I feel like a lot of people that have just had entry level headphones think that the bass on the M100s is not emphasized but it really is. 


If you are looking for the mids and highs of the M-100 with a bit less bass, you might want to check out the PSB M4U2 or the upcoming NAD HP50 which I believe use the same drivers and are both voiced by the same person.

post #12125 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


If you are looking for the mids and highs of the M-100 with a bit less bass, you might want to check out the PSB M4U2 or the upcoming NAD HP50 which I believe use the same drivers and are both voiced by the same person.

Thanks for the suggestion craigster, I liked the M-100s so much. The build quality and comfort was so awesome. I'm prob going to just grab them again but at the time I was looking for something with more of a neutral signature. 

post #12126 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


The M-100 is a worthwhile upgrade to the UE6000 and M-80 IMO.  Mids are on par with UE6000.  Bass is deeper, tighter, cleaner than either also highs extend further.  I will go as far as to say the M-100 is the best sounding closed portable I have heard, at least until my Ultrasone Signature DJ arrives tomorrow.

I'll be interested in your comments on the DJs. I have a feeling I know what's going to happen. I have heard them. They are better. But not 3 times the price better. I shouldn't have said that because I don't want to taint your experience.

post #12127 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

I'll be interested in your comments on the DJs. I have a feeling I know what's going to happen. I have heard them. They are better. But not 3 times the price better. I shouldn't have said that because I don't want to taint your experience.


I was able to get them for about 2X the price wink_face.gif

post #12128 of 21165

Got this from the V-Moda facebook page. Same offer as the pre-order but not just for M-100s

 

post #12129 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

Got this from the V-Moda facebook page. Same offer as the pre-order but not just for M-100s

 

Nice find!

post #12130 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


If you are looking for the mids and highs of the M-100 with a bit less bass, you might want to check out the PSB M4U2 or the upcoming NAD HP50 which I believe use the same drivers and are both voiced by the same person.

 

Have you heard the NAD's yet?  Will have some on hand soon.  Very interested to find out what they sound like.  

post #12131 of 21165

Aw man, that's a good deal. I better sell my computer fast...

post #12132 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

Recessed has always been the wrong word to describe the mid range and people need to remember that.

Laidback is a better description, but recessed, or veiled? Most definitely not.

I think this is a debateable subject with perception; but my impression from begining to end of ownership was focused around the recessed midrange. Personally, a headphone that fits the laid-back midrange description is the HD650; it's smooth, coherent, detailed, easy on the ears.. The M-100's midrange sounded distant, almost hard to pick out, and is missing "snap/crispness". I found more treble presence in the M-100's than midrange. Only by doing pad mods, was I able to get the headphones to sound more balanced and smooth; LP pads whith rolled cheesecloths (for bolstering the pads) sounded the best, to me.

Maybe its just that I'm not getting the right sound from the pads, or that I've been spoiled by other headphones; but to me, I find the midrange of the M-100's to be recessed(not saying it's completeley missing, but enough for me to recognize the gap)

 

Just my $.02

post #12133 of 21165

Know what? I'll eat my words because I have been listening to mind with gauze in the pads...

 

I do remember my first impression, I thought there was a missing lower mid frequency, but that changed with brain bias/burn in. However, imo, compared to the CKM500, I don't find the mid range recessed, I do find the treble more energetic and the bass is obviously strong, but the midrange is still present to me, but again, this is with my gauze modded pads. 

post #12134 of 21165

Yea when I was commenting on laidback mids that was my impression with stock unmodded pads. I hadn't tried any pads mods.

post #12135 of 21165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

 

Have you heard the NAD's yet?  Will have some on hand soon.  Very interested to find out what they sound like.  


I believe the only place to have heard them was CES, so not yet.  However, I did set up a thread about them because I think they have huge potential and are a great looking, classy headphone.  They should resemble the PSB M4U1 sonically since Paul Barton voiced these as well.


Edited by Craigster75 - 2/4/13 at 7:49pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.