Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 772

post #11566 of 20228
mine will arrive tomorrow. hope they are not too warm sounding. i like deeb sub bass paired with airy midrange and a lot of soundstage depth for my ambient electronic music.
post #11567 of 20228
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseteeth View Post

so my first post here on head-fi... and just because i wanted to say i love yosi horikawa!

 

but a bit more on topic. my ultrasone hfi-580's died on me, so i was looking for new headphones. and because of this forum and the various descriptions of the sound signature of these headphones, i ordered the m-100 and like them a lot! they're pretty much what i was looking for. but i also bought the akg k-167 and thought i would give one of them away. but now i like both for different kinds of music. k-167 for soul and v-moda for electronic music. and just out of curiosity i bought the ultrasone hfi-780, because i saw them very cheap on an ebay like platform here in switzerland... the moral of the story. i set out to buy a new pair of headphones, and now, because of this forum, i have three (almost bought the sennheiser hd25-1 II also)... and even though, i bought the right headphones for my desire on the basis of descriptions here in the forum. i feel that only now, since i own more than one headphone and can compare them with my own music, i understand what you guys are talking about :)

 

sorry, hope this makes a little sense. i'm really tired and should go to sleep...

 

Would be great to hear some comparisons of all 4 if you don't mind! (580, 780, M-100, K167).

 

We can't get enough of comparisons on this site it seems but its always nice to hear some alternative views (plus selfishly they're 3 of the phones I'm considering buying (580, M100, K167) smily_headphones1.gif

post #11568 of 20228
I'm itching to try the m100 with the lp2 pads now.

When you say balanced now miceblue, is listening to genres such as classical enjoyable now??
post #11569 of 20228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0cal View Post

I'm itching to try the m100 with the lp2 pads

When you say balanced now miceblue, is listening to genres such as classical enjoyable now??

With the tissue mod and a 1-2db reduction in bass on EQ and a slight hump (1db) in mids and trebles its damn near perfect 

post #11570 of 20228
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I just realised something. When the paper towel, or gauze, pieces are placed under the earpad lip, the _ pieces actually block the filter material right under the earpad to some extent. People have reported the gauze pieces affect the sound less, perhaps this is because gauze is more fibrous/porous/"holy"/less dense than a tightly rolled-up paper towel piece.

 

 

^ where the _ pieces might go

 

^ what's behind the filter

 

This is all just speculation, and is something I literally just noticed after going through my photos.

ear -> earpad lip ->_ pieces -> back of the earpad -> acoustic filter -> earcup enclosure/headphone jack circuit -> earcup V-PORTs -> felt material -> shield V-PORTS -> outside surrounding

 

Since the felt piece is pretty much glued in-place, perhaps the difference in sound is due to the other side of the earcup being reversibly modified. I can't say for sure since I don't know anything about it, but if this is a reason why the _ pieces change the sound, I don't think the XL pads will offer this kind of difference in sound.

Also, should the new XL pads come out, I have to wonder if the change in sound, if any, is truly due to the fit of one's ears in the earcup, or if it's the earpad's stuffing itself since the stiffer LP/LP2 pads that I have really do affect the sound.

 

 

I think it may be a combination of factors.  It makes sense that the overall volume of the chamber helps shape the sound.  But what Miceblue is saying would also play a role.  Literally, everything you change, no matter how significant will change the sound.  Hence, the difficulty in designing a great headphone.  

post #11571 of 20228
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Originally Posted by miceblue View Post



I just realised something. When the paper towel, or gauze, pieces are placed under the earpad lip, the _ pieces actually block the filter material right under the earpad to some extent. People have reported the gauze pieces affect the sound less, perhaps this is because gauze is more fibrous/porous/"holy"/less dense than a tightly rolled-up paper towel piece.

 

 

^ where the _ pieces might go

 

^ what's behind the filter

 

This is all just speculation, and is something I literally just noticed after going through my photos.

ear -> earpad lip ->_ pieces -> back of the earpad -> acoustic filter -> earcup enclosure/headphone jack circuit -> earcup V-PORTs -> felt material -> shield V-PORTS -> outside surrounding

 

Since the felt piece is pretty much glued in-place, perhaps the difference in sound is due to the other side of the earcup being reversibly modified. I can't say for sure since I don't know anything about it, but if this is a reason why the _ pieces change the sound, I don't think the XL pads will offer this kind of difference in sound.

Also, should the new XL pads come out, I have to wonder if the change in sound, if any, is truly due to the fit of one's ears in the earcup, or if it's the earpad's stuffing itself since the stiffer LP/LP2 pads that I have really do affect the sound.

 

Atleast on the LP's, I didnt find the front port greatly affecting the sound. My guess is, they were put in place so you dont get that negative pressure feeling or wreck the drivers when the pads compress. But the PT mod still did change things up a bit, even though I specifically avoided the bottom section when laying it down.

post #11572 of 20228
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleki View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Originally Posted by miceblue View Post



I just realised something. When the paper towel, or gauze, pieces are placed under the earpad lip, the _ pieces actually block the filter material right under the earpad to some extent. People have reported the gauze pieces affect the sound less, perhaps this is because gauze is more fibrous/porous/"holy"/less dense than a tightly rolled-up paper towel piece.

 

 

^ where the _ pieces might go

 

^ what's behind the filter

 

This is all just speculation, and is something I literally just noticed after going through my photos.

ear -> earpad lip ->_ pieces -> back of the earpad -> acoustic filter -> earcup enclosure/headphone jack circuit -> earcup V-PORTs -> felt material -> shield V-PORTS -> outside surrounding

 

Since the felt piece is pretty much glued in-place, perhaps the difference in sound is due to the other side of the earcup being reversibly modified. I can't say for sure since I don't know anything about it, but if this is a reason why the _ pieces change the sound, I don't think the XL pads will offer this kind of difference in sound.

Also, should the new XL pads come out, I have to wonder if the change in sound, if any, is truly due to the fit of one's ears in the earcup, or if it's the earpad's stuffing itself since the stiffer LP/LP2 pads that I have really do affect the sound.

 

Atleast on the LP's, I didnt find the front port greatly affecting the sound. My guess is, they were put in place so you dont get that negative pressure feeling or wreck the drivers when the pads compress. But the PT mod still did change things up a bit, even though I specifically avoided the bottom section when laying it down.

Hm that's interesting. By the front port, are you talking about the V-PORTS, or the ones next to the earpad? I seem to recall someone saying that altering the V-PORTS on the LP did affect the bass, midrange, and soundstage...which happens to be the case with the paper towel mod as well [coincidence?].

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0cal View Post

I'm itching to try the m100 with the lp2 pads now.

When you say balanced now miceblue, is listening to genres such as classical enjoyable now??

I would say the sound is more balanced for classical yes. Alternative folk, folktronica, and classical crossover (a la Vanessa-Mae and The Piano Guys) are more enjoyable with the LP/LP2 pads since the bass is less obtrusive and the midrange is more well-defined and up-front. The soundstage isn't quite as large and spacious as the SRH940, and neither is the imaging, but it's pretty close. I'll have to listen to more of my classical albums when I get back home.

 

With the DigitalFreak paper towel mod, I don't like its sound quite as much as the non-modded M-100 earpads for mobile listening since the bass is reduced a bit too much for that purpose from my listening so far, even though the midrange is more up-front and comfort is improved.


Edited by miceblue - 1/17/13 at 9:36am
post #11573 of 20228

Interesting!I may just buy the LP pads and see what I think for now. Around 10 quid isn't going to kill me. 

It could be blocking of those ports but surely its going to be more to do with the sound being absorbed by the tissue? I have found on both occasions though that the sound only really balances after a few days when the tissue has hardened/compressed more

post #11574 of 20228

It's okay to be terrified of modding your M100's right? I just got them.

post #11575 of 20228

Would be great to hear some comparisons of all 4 if you don't mind! (580, 780, M-100, K167).

 

I'm going to be doing a comparison of the M-100, the K167, and the DT770 AE 32ohm.

post #11576 of 20228
Quote:
Originally by SIDWUkidding.

's okay to be terrified of modding your M100's right? I just got them.

See what you think without modding first. 

Burn them in for a couple of weeks. I then decided to mod. 

post #11577 of 20228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDWULF View Post

It's okay to be terrified of modding your M100's right? I just got them.


Yes, I have no plans to open mine.  I'm not sure if M-100 modders are brave, crazy or a little of both wink_face.gif

post #11578 of 20228
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Hm that's interesting. By the front port, are you talking about the V-PORTS, or the ones next to the earpad? I seem to recall someone saying that altering the V-PORTS on the LP did affect the bass, midrange, and soundstage...which happens to be the case with the paper towel mod as well [coincidence?].

It was me who was tinkering with the v-ports on my buddy's LP. They definitely influence the sound when applying different acoustic material, but I didnt notice any particular change jumping out while plugging up the ports by the drivers. In one instance I recall hearing driver flex when compressing the cushions too quickly, so I'm assuming the purpose of those vents is to balance the pressure in front of the driver.

post #11579 of 20228

Does anyone know how the isolation on these compare to the Sennheiser Momentum? 

post #11580 of 20228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDWULF View Post

It's okay to be terrified of modding your M100's right? I just got them.


Yes, I have no plans to open mine.  I'm not sure if M-100 modders are brave, crazy or a little of both wink_face.gif


The gauze is as far as I'm going with modding. I wanna try replacing the felt covering the vents with different materials but it's glued on there pretty hard and I don't wanna void warranty by removing it, if it even does. 

 

In other news, and a little OT...So my L9 just got in the mail yesterday, but the other day I had a eureka moment when I realized that with my new LOD and amp, my old 2G 64gb iPod Touch is back in use after s few years of collecting dust. It has a broken left headphone jack, and I've been suffering with the 3G 32gb iPod touch I've been using since. Switching out music, and compressing my 320s hasn't been keeping up with my needs. So this has made me very happy. Now it feels like I have a brand new iTouch and I have to fill it. So happy. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.