Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 753

post #11281 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannLiebert View Post

A would like to see a "light-bass Version" of these. Would be a pretty cool option.
I think it's called "Sennheiser".
post #11282 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannLiebert View Post

A would like to see a "light-bass Version" of these. Would be a pretty cool option.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

I think it's called "Sennheiser".


Sonically, a light bass version of the M-100 would bear some resemblance to the Roc Nation Aviator or B&W P5 IMO, but you wouldn't get quite the same soundstage or midrange detail.

post #11283 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

I just hope the Verza doesn't cost more than anything else I carry on me. I don't mind spending lots of money on electronics, I mean, I'm a guy in my mid 20s, that's what we do. But for me there's a diminishing return with electronics that cost more than whatever it is they're accompanying. 

What I mean is, if my M-100s cost $300, and my iPod cost $300, then anything in between, no matter how advantageous, shouldn't cost more than, or even the average of the parts it's enhancing, or I'll feel it a waste somewhere a long the line, be it the M-100 or the Vamp or the iPod.

Sorry, I'm just cynical. But I know I won't buy the Vamp if it's any more than $250. I'm sure the longer I stay on head-fi the quicker that mentality will fizzle away. (I cam ehere looking for headphones and IEMs under $150 lol)


While it would be great if we could set our own pricing for products based on their value to us, Val is prepping everyone for Verza pricing when he mentioned a few weeks ago the high cost of producing a product of exceptional quality that is manufactured in Japan.  Assuming Verza includes the same proprietary chip which allows it to bypass Iphone's and other smartphone's internal DAC (I admittedly don't have all the technical knowledge to know what is involved), this also adds significant cost.  I would be surprised if Verza is introduced under $500.  As Val said when Vamp first came out, it isn't for everyone.  I wouldn't own Vamp if I wasn't one of the lucky few to purchase at a ridiculous discount, but I also couldn't be happier that I own one.  Prior to owning Vamp, I didn't think anything more than an inexpensive portable amp would make much difference sonically.  As a portable audiophile, I never want to listen through my Iphone without Vamp (or its equivalent) again. It doesn't change the signature of your headphone, it enhances and highlights everything it does well and shows off what it is capable of doing which is why it works so well with the M-100.


Edited by Craigster75 - 1/6/13 at 4:16am
post #11284 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

 


Sonically, a light bass version of the M-100 would bear some resemblance to the Roc Nation Aviator or B&W P5 IMO, but you wouldn't get quite the same soundstage or midrange detail.

Knowing that you had experience with the Sennheiser Momentums too, how was the midrange and soundstage compared to the M100s. 

post #11285 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0cal View Post

Knowing that you had experience with the Sennheiser Momentums too, how was the midrange and soundstage compared to the M100s. 


I didn't care for Momentum at all.  I felt sub bass was lacking and mid bass bled into the mids to the point that the lower mids sounded muddy to me.  On the other end of the spectrum, I felt the highs were harsh trying to compensate for the bloated bass.  I feel the M-100 is superior in soundstage.

 

I WANTED to like Momentum since the first headphone I owned was a Sennheiser and Momentum is a great looking, classy headphone, but they just don't work for me sonically.

post #11286 of 21201
Awesome thanks for the input . I really like how fun the m100s are after playing with them daily for about 5 hrs a day . I just can't seem to find a way to push the mids a little bit further with an eq that would suit all genres and prefer Not to do the paper mod method too
Edited by rs0cal - 1/6/13 at 6:01am
post #11287 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0cal View Post

Awesome thanks for the input . I really like how fun the m100s are after playing with them daily for about 5 hrs a day . I just can't seem to find a way to push the mids a little bit further with an eq that would suit all genres and prefer Not to do the paper mod method too


Another headphone you may want to audition based on your preferences is the PSB M4U1 or M4U2.

post #11288 of 21201

For those of you in the UK who have managed to get a pair of these where did you get them from and where would you recommend getting them from? the only options i've found are the v-moda website and amazon.com, amazon are doing them £235 delivered (plus any import fees taken care of) are there any other options out there? Thanks.

post #11289 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

I just hope the Verza doesn't cost more than anything else I carry on me. I don't mind spending lots of money on electronics, I mean, I'm a guy in my mid 20s, that's what we do. But for me there's a diminishing return with electronics that cost more than whatever it is they're accompanying. 

What I mean is, if my M-100s cost $300, and my iPod cost $300, then anything in between, no matter how advantageous, shouldn't cost more than, or even the average of the parts it's enhancing, or I'll feel it a waste somewhere a long the line, be it the M-100 or the Vamp or the iPod.

Sorry, I'm just cynical. But I know I won't buy the Vamp if it's any more than $250. I'm sure the longer I stay on head-fi the quicker that mentality will fizzle away. (I cam ehere looking for headphones and IEMs under $150 lol)


While it would be great if we could set our own pricing for products based on their value to us, Val is prepping everyone for Verza pricing when he mentioned a few weeks ago the high cost of producing a product of exceptional quality that is manufactured in Japan.  Assuming Verza includes the same proprietary chip which allows it to bypass Iphone's and other smartphone's internal DAC (I admittedly don't have all the technical knowledge to know what is involved), this also adds significant cost.  I would be surprised if Verza is introduced under $500.  As Val said when Vamp first came out, it isn't for everyone.  I wouldn't own Vamp if I wasn't one of the lucky few to purchase at a ridiculous discount, but I also couldn't be happier that I own one.  Prior to owning Vamp, I didn't think anything more than an inexpensive portable amp would make much difference sonically.  As a portable audiophile, I never want to listen through my Iphone without Vamp (or its equivalent) again. It doesn't change the signature of your headphone, it enhances and highlights everything it does well and shows off what it is capable of doing which is why it works so well with the M-100.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post
*snip*

 

This logic is a little puzzling to me.  I don't understand why they need to be similarly priced.  

 

They don't NEED to be similarly priced. Just personally I can't justify it. I mean, my first reaction when seeing the price of the Vamp was "Okay, so if I REALLY wanted this, I'd have to buy an iPhone 4s first, THEN the Vamp..... and that's twice my rent"

 

Don't get me wrong, I have full faith in the value of the product, but for say, $600, I can get a new DAP with a much better amp and DAC. Heck, I can get a brand new Galaxy S3 for that much money, and it does a lot more technically than any portable amp on the market. 

I don't mean to sound so cynical, this is just my personal thoughts on the matter, and why I'm *****hoping***** that the Verza will be priced somewhere between $200-400, but I know my interest will fly right out the window if it's anymore, regardless of how much it enhances the sound.

post #11290 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


I didn't care for Momentum at all.  I felt sub bass was lacking and mid bass bled into the mids to the point that the lower mids sounded muddy to me.  On the other end of the spectrum, I felt the highs were harsh trying to compensate for the bloated bass.  I feel the M-100 is superior in soundstage.

 

I WANTED to like Momentum since the first headphone I owned was a Sennheiser and Momentum is a great looking, classy headphone, but they just don't work for me sonically.

 

My experience differs a little bit here.  Bass is not as present in the Momentum as it is in the M-100, though I wouldn't consider it lacking in general.  I feel like the mids are pretty decent, they lack just a little bit of clarity at times but overall quite decent.  I do not feel the highs were harsh at all.  The momentum is a very articulate headphone with a respectable amount of bass.  Would still take the M-100 for EDM and pop, but the Momentum does rock and acoustic/vocal very well.  I still switch back and forth between the two and they each have their benefits.  I would recommend giving them a try, can't hurt.  

post #11291 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

 

They don't NEED to be similarly priced. Just personally I can't justify it. I mean, my first reaction when seeing the price of the Vamp was "Okay, so if I REALLY wanted this, I'd have to buy an iPhone 4s first, THEN the Vamp..... and that's twice my rent"

 

Don't get me wrong, I have full faith in the value of the product, but for say, $600, I can get a new DAP with a much better amp and DAC. Heck, I can get a brand new Galaxy S3 for that much money, and it does a lot more technically than any portable amp on the market. 

I don't mean to sound so cynical, this is just my personal thoughts on the matter, and why I'm *****hoping***** that the Verza will be priced somewhere between $200-400, but I know my interest will fly right out the window if it's anymore, regardless of how much it enhances the sound.

 

Keep in mind, the Verza can be used with virtually any current iPhone or Android phone.  So this version is much more versatile than the outgoing Vamp.  If you own an M-100, I feel like the Verza/Vamp is a MUST HAVE.  The price isn't great, I do admit, but the result is pretty astonishing.  Who needs rent anyway?  This is Head-Fi!  


Edited by Speakerphile - 1/6/13 at 11:25am
post #11292 of 21201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

 

My experience differs a little bit here.  Bass is not as present in the Momentum as it is in the M-100, though I wouldn't consider it lacking in general.  I feel like the mids are pretty decent, they lack just a little bit of clarity at times but overall quite decent.  I do not feel the highs were harsh at all.  The momentum is a very articulate headphone with a respectable amount of bass.  Would still take the M-100 for EDM and pop, but the Momentum does rock and acoustic/vocal very well.  I still switch back and forth between the two and they each have their benefits.  I would recommend giving them a try, can't hurt.  


Fair enough.  For my preferred genres, it's the M-100 for me.  I think Momentum is closer in signature to the MDR-1R which I also prefer over Momentum.  However, I can see where Momentum would be preferred based on other genres and personal taste.


Edited by Craigster75 - 1/6/13 at 10:30am
post #11293 of 21201

deleted


Edited by Craigster75 - 1/6/13 at 11:37am
post #11294 of 21201

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Edit:  Wouldn't it be ironic if this is the worldwide fashion retail location that Val referenced previously where V-Moda will be available?  I was thinking more along the lines of Zumiez, but whatever works bigsmile_face.gif

 

 

^I'm gonna guess Versace


Edited by Apo0th3karY - 1/6/13 at 10:42am
post #11295 of 21201

Over hyped to the Nth degree, over priced ( in the UK at least ), and the sound is overcooked. The kids and vampire fans will no doubt go crazy for them.

 

After a few days of trying hard to like their odd/wonky sound, I respected the repeated cries for mercy from my ears, and moved on!

 

eek.gif deadhorse.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.