Just curious. Since the Beats headphones are pretty much frowned upon by people who know about good quality sound, are the computers with Beats audio in them also bad?
Related Forum Threads
- The new iMac... Last post on 12/30/12 at 8:24pm in Computer Audio
- Best USB Dac <$100 for a desktop computer using Behringer MS16s? Last post on 11/2/12 at 11:36pm in Computer Audio
- USB to Coaxial Last post on 9/26/12 at 4:59pm in Computer Audio
- Good PC DAC? Last post on 8/28/12 at 7:40am in Computer Audio
- What effect would an amplifier have on my sound? Last post on 8/27/12 at 3:32pm in Computer Audio
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
I have owned this headphone for 2 years and it never disappointed me. The sound quality is no need to discuss as its sound signature has been discussed multiple times in TH900 thread. This...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
If Beats headphones aren't that great, then, are Beats computers the same?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I'll have to dig up the YouTube video again, but the short story is that it's software trickery.
Basically, when you enable the Beats Audio checkbox in its control panel, it jacks up the bass and treble in an EQ hidden in the sound device's playback properties. Disable it through that same control panel, and it severely EQs the bass down while leaving the treble jacked up.
I can't say because I haven't heard then, but, at least I think that they aren't worth the price. I have a laptop with sound designed by JBL, and still can't beat any of my IEMs or Headphones, I think that's because it's still a laptop sound, so, you can't do much in such cramped space.
Still, you can read the review:
I have an HP Envy 14 and simply disabled Beats Audio that only boosted bass.
With a computer there is always an easy solution - external DAC - it will bypass whatever audio chip manufacturer put into the PC.
Beats Audio is just an improved version of the IDT's soundcards. They're just some half-assed Realtek competitor, but, at least their "Beats" model is a tad better than Realtek, but surely not really worth the 70~150 bucks more they try to charge you for having one of these on a laptop.
At least they CAN power up my 40 OHMs headphones without having to use any amplifier, unlike the Realtek **** I have.
Then again, a 70 bucks Fiio DAC just about makes them look like toys.
I just bought an HP touchsmart 420 which has beats audio, well, short story, good computer horrible audio, I just understood why people buy DACs, compared to my toshiba laptop the sound is very poor, very low frequencies are barely heard, i tried listening "limit to your love" by james blake which is the bassiest song i know and i almost couldnt hear the bass, with my laptop its just a lot of bass and make my ears tickle with my Beyers DT 770 pro 80s.
So i guess Ill have to buy an external DAC
unless someone tells me that i can fix it installing another sound driver or something like that.
- If Beats headphones aren't that great, then, are Beats computers the same?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 10 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 1, 2014 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Naim DAC-V1 vs... 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)