Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2. - Page 603

post #9031 of 12716
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryname View Post

Gentlemen (and ladies, if there are any on this thread), I bear great news!

 

I'd like to thank everyone who was willing to donate towards figgies DX100 debug unit. I just heard back from iBasso and their response is tremendous. Their dedication to their customers makes me giddy with glee. Fang could learn a thing or two.

 

As far as my opinion is concerned, the DX100's potential to be the ultimate audiophile DAP has just exploded. Please read the reply they sent me to see what I mean.

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

"Dear Jan,

Thank you for your email first.
We can provide Figgie an absolutely free unit if all you guys consider this is necessary.
 
Before sending Figgie a DX100, I have to tell the following first. The difficulty for developing the 24/192 playback software isnt the ESS driver.  Android OS use Audioflinger, which only can produce 16/44.1.  We have our own API for the DX100's music player to achieve 24/192 playback.  We are planning to open this API to some software companies in the near future to develop third party players for the DX100. Before Figgie get those API, I think it is a tough task to develop a 24/192 playback software for the DX100.
 
Anyway, we will contact Figgie and send him a free DX100.  Also, we will contact Figgie when we are ready to provide the API.
 
Best Regards,

iBasso Audio"

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

Open source firmware! I'm unaware of the exact technical hardware and software limitations but my imagination wanders to a potential Rockbox port for the DX100! Or Android 4.0 development! Or a boot directly to the music player foregoing the majority of Android processes and burdens to improve battery life and response times!

 

The niggly little details that bother us about the current firmware can all be fixed at a faster rate if the open source community is in on the development.

 

I am going to pour myself a drink as I feel that this is a victory. Figgie, please enjoy your DX100.

 

 

Nicely done TN. 

post #9032 of 12716

Goodjob TemporaryName :)

I hope iBasso will really make their API an "open source", it will eventually benefits all of us!

I'm looking forward to see how far this device can bring us to..

post #9033 of 12716
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Imagine that in the hands of rockbox ;).

Holy amazeballs! I hadn't even thought of that until now! Just pure Rockbox on the DX100 instead of Android... I'd go with that. 

post #9034 of 12716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Holy amazeballs! I hadn't even thought of that until now! Just pure Rockbox on the DX100 instead of Android... I'd go with that. 

I will love that!!

post #9035 of 12716

I am an Android Fanboy Extraordinaire but we all do our best to cut away anything on the DX100 that isn't the music player. Might as well just rockbox the hell out of it and call it a day.

post #9036 of 12716

Great news. I look forward to seeing what happens in the near future with this. The POWAH! of Head-Fi.

post #9037 of 12716

iBasso seems determined to keep the adjective Reference in their DAP description meaningful. They will gain huge respect if they honour their promise, and the DX100 will enter the legend.

post #9038 of 12716

got my port dust overs today, fit nicely, the neutrik 6.3mm cover arrived (after I took the shots..of course) and doesn't prodrude as much as I thought it would.  My bumper covers seems to help stop scratches too.  If Rockbox got ported to this (with 24/192 support) it would be perfect, 

 

1000


Edited by Turrican2 - 11/14/12 at 10:38am
post #9039 of 12716
Hi guys,

Sorry to get your hopes up. The future is bright but not as open source bright.


Hi, Jan,

Thank you for your kind words. I have to clarify that: We only can give API to some trusted software company or people, and they have to sign a non-disclosure contract with us. They can use the API to develop 24/192 player for the DX100. As it is our business confidential and confidential of the chipset company, we cant open the schematics, and some development interface. It is impossible for third party to develop a new OS for the DX100. Anyway, we will keep working on the DSP development. It would be endless support. Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely iBasso Audio


It's always fun to dream. When I finish this block of work I'll reply to iBasso suggesting all our ideas again, like an optional rockbox port or at least something that will make the dx100 function like one.
post #9040 of 12716
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryname View Post

Hi guys,
Sorry to get your hopes up. The future is bright but not as open source bright.
Hi, Jan,
Thank you for your kind words. I have to clarify that: We only can give API to some trusted software company or people, and they have to sign a non-disclosure contract with us. They can use the API to develop 24/192 player for the DX100. As it is our business confidential and confidential of the chipset company, we cant open the schematics, and some development interface. It is impossible for third party to develop a new OS for the DX100. Anyway, we will keep working on the DSP development. It would be endless support. Thank you for your understanding.
Sincerely iBasso Audio
It's always fun to dream. When I finish this block of work I'll reply to iBasso suggesting all our ideas again, like an optional rockbox port or at least something that will make the dx100 function like one.


Their message can still be good news.  For example, if the Head-Fi community could try to get the PowerAmp people to develop a version for the DX100 under non-disclosure with iBasso.  While it's not a complete OS replacement, it certainly would result in a much better player.  I don't know the innards of the PowerAmp software, but it would seem to me that the changes might not be all that major...replacing AudioFlinger calls with the DX100 version instead.  We never know until we ask.  PowerAmp has an external API.  Perhaps Figgie could figure out how to make the PowerAmp API talk to the DX100 API.  I think we should ask iBasso who qualifies as a trusted company or person, or suggest that they consider talking with a few companies like PowerAmp or Nullsoft (WinAmp) about the possibilities.  We (the royal we, that would be you, temporaryname) could facilitate some initial discussions to see if this is even possible.

 

Just thinking out loud...

post #9041 of 12716
PowerAmp on the DX100 with the sound of the native player (1.2.7)...

Oh my. popcorn.gif
post #9042 of 12716

Does anyone know if the amp in the DX100 remains powered on when the DX100 is in sleep mode?  I usually power off my DX100 when I'm done with it for the day.  However, since I use a 128GB card (full), it takes a looooong time when I power it on again before the contents of the card are read and it's ready to play (like 5 minutes mad.gif).  I'd like to just shut off the screen, plug it in to charge for the night and then be ready to use it again in the morning.  I'd be OK with leaving it on all the time just like my Android phone.

 

However, if doing this keeps the amp circuitry active, I have to wonder if that's a bad thing.  I wouldn't leave any other portable amp powered on all the time, so I don't want to do it with the DX100 either.

 

Anyone know, or do I need to go ask iBasso about this?
 

post #9043 of 12716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

PowerAmp on the DX100 with the sound of the native player (1.2.7)...
Oh my. popcorn.gif


OK, not just thinking out loud, dreaming out loud. bigsmile_face.gif

post #9044 of 12716

I just discovered something very interesting about updating music on the player if you're updating songs on both the internal memory AND the SDXC card.  Thought I'd share it with everyone...

 

When you connect the player via USB and turn on USB storage on the player, you get 2 drives on the PC (on a Windows PC, I'm not an Apple boy) - one for the internal memory and one for the SDXC card.  Updating songs on the main memory is pretty fast.  However, updating songs on the card (in my case, a 128GB card that's nearly full - like less than 1 GB free), it's really, really slow (like I'll see my next birthday before it's done slow).  However, if I first "Safely Remove" the main memory disk, then do my updates to the SDXC card, it's many, many times faster - as fast as taking the card out and updating it in a card reader.  Then, when I'm done updating the songs on the card, I "Safely Remove" it, unplug the player, and let it do its re-indexing thing.

 

I don't know if this is because I'm using a HUGE card, or if it would produce the same results on a 64GB or 32GB card.

 

Hope this helps others.

post #9045 of 12716
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalomon View Post

Their message can still be good news.  For example, if the Head-Fi community could try to get the PowerAmp people to develop a version for the DX100 under non-disclosure with iBasso.  While it's not a complete OS replacement, it certainly would result in a much better player.  I don't know the innards of the PowerAmp software, but it would seem to me that the changes might not be all that major...replacing AudioFlinger calls with the DX100 version instead.  We never know until we ask.  PowerAmp has an external API.  Perhaps Figgie could figure out how to make the PowerAmp API talk to the DX100 API.  I think we should ask iBasso who qualifies as a trusted company or person, or suggest that they consider talking with a few companies like PowerAmp or Nullsoft (WinAmp) about the possibilities.  We (the royal we, that would be you, temporaryname) could facilitate some initial discussions to see if this is even possible.

 

Just thinking out loud...

 

Speaking of Nullsoft, how about we suggest one of their ex-employees who created Foobar2000. It's an excellent no-frills music player, exactly what I'm looking for with the DX100. I think everyone should start filling this thread with suggestions of what they want. I can compound it, double check if we agree on it and then send it off. What would be really handy is if the iBasso reps here were more active on head-fi, not to say that I am in anyway unappreciative of their already astounding level of customer support.

 

I only communicate on behalf of the community. Anyone can take over at any point. Preferably someone with more time on their hands. tongue.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalomon View Post

I just discovered something very interesting about updating music on the player if you're updating songs on both the internal memory AND the SDXC card.  Thought I'd share it with everyone...

 

When you connect the player via USB and turn on USB storage on the player, you get 2 drives on the PC (on a Windows PC, I'm not an Apple boy) - one for the internal memory and one for the SDXC card.  Updating songs on the main memory is pretty fast.  However, updating songs on the card (in my case, a 128GB card that's nearly full - like less than 1 GB free), it's really, really slow (like I'll see my next birthday before it's done slow).  However, if I first "Safely Remove" the main memory disk, then do my updates to the SDXC card, it's many, many times faster - as fast as taking the card out and updating it in a card reader.  Then, when I'm done updating the songs on the card, I "Safely Remove" it, unplug the player, and let it do its re-indexing thing.

 

I don't know if this is because I'm using a HUGE card, or if it would produce the same results on a 64GB or 32GB card.

 

Hope this helps others.

 

Sure is an interesting observation. Thank you for sharing!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.