I never have many issues with the UI as I use it pretty simply. That the sound holds up to the newest competition, goes to show how well everything is implemented.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/27/12
- brandAudiophile Productstagged by System, 2/10/12
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by System, 2/10/12
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/27/12
- categoryPortable Source Componentstagged by System, 5/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- [Comparison Review] Searching for accurate sounding closed cans under $100 (9 headphone models... Last post on 10/24/13 at 11:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- first timer in need of guidance Last post on 4/3/13 at 1:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best dubstep headphones for $100? Last post on 3/16/13 at 6:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Panasonic htf 600s vs Creative Aurvana Live Last post on 1/27/13 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2. - Page 836post #12526 of 125394/16/14 at 7:44amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12527 of 125394/16/14 at 9:57amQuote:Originally Posted by the wizard of oz
I plan on auditioning the AT-HA5000ANV amp at the AT shop in Paris tomorrow, and also compare with the ATH-W3000ANV on both set-ups to get a feel of the differences.
I love my set-up —vocals and acoustic instruments, especially strings, sound wonderful, but I'm curious to hear how much of an improvement a proper desktop amp gives. Also, I have never heard the W3000ANV yet. So, more info after the weekend!
I tried the Momentum too, and agree with your impressions. I hope to get my hands on a used ATH-ESW11LTD some day, as that might be the closest one can get with a more portable headphone to the W5000.Quote:I realize I didn't write any follow-up here, so here goes: a good desktop amp does make a difference. The HA5000ANV improved on the DX100's amp by quite a bit, giving more air, more authority and energy overall.Originally Posted by yazoo123
Thanks Wizard for your comments & glad you love your combo too.
Enjoy your upcoming auditioning hope you could get your love one in the near future.
I'm also curious to hear the difference that a desktop DAC/AMP could deliver, especially the HUGO. I haven't read any negatives (except the physical) about it. And my wallet just keep yelling at me all the time right now
Since I went line out to the HA5000ANV from the DX100, not using another source, two things were clear, while trying a variety of headphones (W3000ANV, W1000X, ESW11LTD, AD2000X) the Sabre ES9018 implementation in the DX100 really is very good, the wealth of information that DAC can squeeze out of digital audio even in CD quality provided it has been mastered decently is tremendous, and the W5000's really are outstanding headphones. With the HA5000ANV I experienced what proper amping can get out of them.
Without going off topic for too long, and stressing the fact that my impressions probably are inconclusive due to the discrepancies in burn-in between my well-used W5000 and the headphones for sale in the shop -that opened only three years ago, with limited auditioning of their headphones by potential clients and passers-by, it ain't Akihabara there-, only the AD2000X's could keep up with them. The W3000ANV's give an impression of deeper bass, but its mid-bass is only slightly emphasized; the W5000's actually extend deeper. Again, could be burn-in. The W1000X weren't bad, but don't reach as low as the others, nor as high, are slower in attack & decay, with a bit less imaging depth and width. Good timbre though, better than the W5000 for piano for instance; as are the AD2000X's, who also were really very pleasant with classical, feeling very neutral over the entire bandwidth, even if bass impact and overall fullness isn't a good as with the W5000's.
The ESW11LTD were a total disappointment, I expected much better; they're hardly better if any better than Momentum's to my feeling, and if I recall correctly, the Momentum's are more linear: the ESW11LTD have a bit of a bloated bass, which I guess I appropriate for urban environment, but... They are the easiest to drive on the DX100 compared to the others, obviously, but extension and imaging very much lacking, even if resolution seemed impressive enough.
N.B. I tried those different headphones both directly into the DX100, and into the HA5000ANV amp.
So, I'm still looking for a more portable solution than my W5000's to plug into the DX100 on-the-go were I won't feel I'd be compromising too much in SQ. More arguments for high-end IEM's I think...
Edited by the wizard of oz - 4/16/14 at 10:07ampost #12528 of 125394/16/14 at 11:03amIf someone want to upgrade the internal amp of the dx100 i recommand the portaphile 627x/627 it comes with bigger soundstage, smooth medium and treble, deeper bass and all sound cleaner.A really good combo with grado ps1000.
The dac section is also very good if you want better portable dac you have to go for the cypher labs Solo-r /db.post #12529 of 125394/16/14 at 11:31amI'm not quite ready for stacks on-the-go, I'd rather save up for high-end IEM's and a desktop amp, but I can see the point now to these high-end portable amps that bring you closer to desktop amp performance. Knowing me, I will eventually indulge into such a system .post #12530 of 125394/16/14 at 10:16pm
Thanks once again Wizard for your comprehensive & detailed impression.
Since my next move would be a desktop DAC/AMP for my home use using DX100 as a source/transport (and W5000 as a complimentary with W3000) & that's why I raised the question originally. I was thinking to get the Woo Audio WA7 (and WA7D + Tube PSU is available very soon) at the very first beginning, but once I've read through all the reviews and other related info about HUGO, I think HUGO would beat the WA7 (or even WA7D) hands down with superior price performance. So currently I'm still at the cross junction (maybe already lean towards HUGO). And also HUGO could be transportable and on-the-go if I wish. It all decides the final audition on my own.
I also agree for on-the-go my next move would be CIEM while my "dream" CIEM is Noble K10. For DAPs, M maybe.
But I'm curious that you are disappointed w/ ESW11LTD since quite a few have high praise for its SQ. Especially you mentioned "bloated bass" compared w/ Momentum since some users don't like the Momentum because its "bloated bass". For me, I only feel my Momentum having bloated bass for some recordings with an unamped DX50 and that's why I couldn't listen to unamped DX50 for long period of time. I just feel tired & it's DX50 issue.
Glad you have the HA3000ANV as well & I suppose it would be a great combo w/ W3000. For me I just want to keep my desktop small footprint as possible since I don't have much space in my environment.
Anyway Happy Listening. Enjoy.post #12531 of 125394/17/14 at 8:52pm
I would like to know what is "Optical out" on iBasso DX100?
I bought a TOSLINK to Digital Optical cable and plug "TOSLINK" into the "Optical out" but no sound coming out.
May I know how to use the "Optical out"?
Waiting for advice. Thank you.post #12532 of 125394/17/14 at 9:05pmpost #12533 of 125394/17/14 at 9:06pmQuote:
Are you sure your not plugging it into coaxial by accident? Mine works perfectly fine with the optical toslink. It is exactly like it sounds like, its an optical cable but it needs a spdif termination. I just used an spdif adapter that came with my e17, and had no issues with a regular optical cable.post #12534 of 125394/17/14 at 9:26pmpost #12535 of 125394/18/14 at 6:00amQuote:
glad you got it going, mine works finepost #12536 of 125394/18/14 at 7:28ampost #12537 of 125394/18/14 at 7:40ampost #12538 of 125394/18/14 at 7:55ampost #12539 of 125394/18/14 at 1:34pmQuote:I could be a burn-in issue, and my comparison with the Momentum is by memory, so take it with a pinch of salt. It's just that I felt that the ESW11LTD's bass wasn't tight enough and a bit exaggerated. The Momentums didn't strike me as bloated at the time when testing with my DX100, but then, I wasn't listening as critically as with the ESW11LTD TBH, since theoretically not in the same class. I thought the Momentum wasn't too bad for the price, but the ESW11LTD definitely were underwhelming for the asked price. I'm pretty sure those demo Momentums had had much more burn-in time than the ESW11LTD, considering the respective locations of the shops they were in, and estimated public affluence, FWIW.Originally Posted by yazoo123
But I'm curious that you are disappointed w/ ESW11LTD since quite a few have high praise for its SQ. Especially you mentioned "bloated bass" compared with the Momentum since some users don't like the Momentum because of its "bloated bass". For me, I only feel my Momentum having bloated bass for some recordings with an unamped DX50 and that's why I couldn't listen to unamped DX50 for long period of time. I just feel tired & think it's a DX50 issue.
- iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... just now
- › JDS Labs Modified O2 and New Charger, COMES WITH FREE OP AMPS... 18 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 36 seconds ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 47 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 3 minutes ago
- › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D 5 minutes ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 5 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob