or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2. - Page 821

post #12301 of 13418
I have a bunch of DAP's...ipod, iPod touch, RWA Modded iPod, Cowon J3, Colorfly C3, etc etc...The DX100, RWAK100, and DX50 are the best of the best. I use all 3 regularly and can say without a doubt that the DX50, with the lower price point , when combined with a good amp is the one to beat. I also feel that the DX100 is in a league of it's own.
post #12302 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefalkon View Post

I have a bunch of DAP's...ipod, iPod touch, RWA Modded iPod, Cowon J3, Colorfly C3, etc etc...The DX100, RWAK100, and DX50 are the best of the best. I use all 3 regularly and can say without a doubt that the DX50, with the lower price point , when combined with a good amp is the one to beat. I also feel that the DX100 is in a league of it's own.


A good amp can also raise the price point of the DX50 combo to a league of its own :D

post #12303 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkppl View Post
 


A good amp can also raise the price point of the DX50 combo to a league of its own :D

Yes, but defeats the all in one portable aspect of it.

....which you get with the DX100.

 

Still, with the DX50 you could always make do with the 75% sound of the DX100 on the go....and then plug it into an amp at your desk\home to get 95% of the DX100 :D

 

For its price point the DX50 is an awesome DAP....the minor software niggles aside.

post #12304 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten123 View Post
 

Yes, but defeats the all in one portable aspect of it.

....which you get with the DX100.

 

 

Amen.

 

 

 

Same old quandry, isn't it? There are quite a number of different DAPs which fall short on their own but sound decent when amped, but then they're too big and heavy to put in one's pocket.

 

I am a big fan of the DX100 but it's lack of physical control buttons, and excessive size make it unlikely I'll buy one again (never say never, it's just that it's unlikely). I totally dig the SQ of the DX100, though, and admire it for holding its own against other DAPs.

post #12305 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

 

Amen.

 

 

 

Same old quandry, isn't it? There are quite a number of different DAPs which fall short on their own but sound decent when amped, but then they're too big and heavy to put in one's pocket.

 

I am a big fan of the DX100 but it's lack of physical control buttons, and excessive size make it unlikely I'll buy one again (never say never, it's just that it's unlikely). I totally dig the SQ of the DX100, though, and admire it for holding its own against other DAPs.

It's winter in the UK and the DX-100 also serves as an effective hand warmer!

post #12306 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkppl View Post
 


A good amp can also raise the price point of the DX50 combo to a league of its own :D

 

While I'm a fan of the DX50...even with a T1 attached it's still the little brother to the DX100 SQ wise. Yes, with it's price point it is definitely the top contender in the new audiophile category that I like to call...

 

Affordable.

 

LOL

 

Steve from CT

(formerly NYC...)

post #12307 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post
 

It's winter in the UK and the DX-100 also serves as an effective hand warmer!

Lol, mine never gets too hot while playing. It does however get decently hot while charging.

 

I am starting to go nuts without my dx100. It has not even arrived in china yet. I am guessing by the time I get it back, I will have to send off my mad dogs to get them upgraded. I am going to be headphone less for a month and a half (the dx100 is the only thing in my house that powers the MDs remotely well) :(. Hopefully I will have my entire rig back before my next semester starts. 

post #12308 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
 

Lol, mine never gets too hot while playing. It does however get decently hot while charging.

 

I am starting to go nuts without my dx100. It has not even arrived in china yet. I am guessing by the time I get it back, I will have to send off my mad dogs to get them upgraded. I am going to be headphone less for a month and a half (the dx100 is the only thing in my house that powers the MDs remotely well) :(. Hopefully I will have my entire rig back before my next semester starts. 

Sorry to hear about the wait, but you'll enjoy it all the more when you get it back. As hand warmers go, I have more able devices than the DX-100 but none of them play music as well...

post #12309 of 13418

Back on pages 416 & 502  and the following there were discussions regarding the relative merits of the coax and optical connections to a dac. Some said coax was better, others the optical.  It's been over a year since then and new firmware has come out and people have had more experience with the DX100 and dacs.

 

Is there a clear consensus now that one is better than the other?

post #12310 of 13418

Would you guys recommend getting the iBasso DX100 as an endgame rig for powering an HE6 or a Fostex TH900? I know those two are extremely different in terms of power draw, but I heard that the DX100 can authoritatively power any headphone on the market, and I think I am going to purchase it instead of a high end desktop amp/dac do it can serve as both a portable solution and an endgame solution. What do DX100 owners think? 

post #12311 of 13418
Thread Starter 

TH900 works fine. The HE-6 like power, 5 watts or more to get what they can really can do. so if you want full potential, no on them. 

post #12312 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenSHK View Post
 

Would you guys recommend getting the iBasso DX100 as an endgame rig for powering an HE6 or a Fostex TH900? I know those two are extremely different in terms of power draw, but I heard that the DX100 can authoritatively power any headphone on the market, and I think I am going to purchase it instead of a high end desktop amp/dac do it can serve as both a portable solution and an endgame solution. What do DX100 owners think?

yeah man I have the TH-900's and the sound is very good when just using the DX100. I like the sound better using my DX100 as a DAC paired with my HiFiMAN EF-6, makes it sound a little more laidback, which I personally really like, the DX100 on its own is a bit more forward, but I would definitely consider it an endgame rig. The only thing I dislike about running my DX100 all the time is the fact that I have to charge it pretty often, and I am considering upgrading to a standalone DAC and use my DX100 as a fulltime portable because of that. but other than that its a winner, as for the HE-6 like jamato8 said, you would very likely need a lot more power.

post #12313 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post
 

Back on pages 416 & 502  and the following there were discussions regarding the relative merits of the coax and optical connections to a dac. Some said coax was better, others the optical.  It's been over a year since then and new firmware has come out and people have had more experience with the DX100 and dacs.

 

Is there a clear consensus now that one is better than the other?

Getting a consensus might be difficult. I tried both coax and optical to my DAC and couldn't hear any difference. I ended up sticking with optical only because the cord was slightly lighter in weight. I also couldn't find a 6-foot coax cable that went straight from the DX100 to the DAC without an adapter.

post #12314 of 13418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonna View Post
 

yeah man I have the TH-900's and the sound is very good when just using the DX100. I like the sound better using my DX100 as a DAC paired with my HiFiMAN EF-6, makes it sound a little more laidback, which I personally really like, the DX100 on its own is a bit more forward, but I would definitely consider it an endgame rig. The only thing I dislike about running my DX100 all the time is the fact that I have to charge it pretty often, and I am considering upgrading to a standalone DAC and use my DX100 as a fulltime portable because of that. but other than that its a winner, as for the HE-6 like jamato8 said, you would very likely need a lot more power.

Hmm I see. Ok, that's slightly disappointing since everywhere I read, it said that the DX100 is the strongest DAP on the market currently and can power pretty much any headphone. I guess if the DX100 can't power the HE6 no other DAP can. 

post #12315 of 13418

Looking forward to picking one of these up soon to pair with a new pair of 1964 V6-S!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.